Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: An MCA Thread (this is a continuation of a discussion from the Big Green Thread)

How about mounting the MCA directly to a Peltier? (I noticed they did this on the internal shots over on the "trying to repair two Quantum Entertainer " thread ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peltier w hole.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	35619

I'll chime in here and say that when trying to maximize your thermal transfer, the magic occurs at the microscopic scale and then on up. You want to maximize contact which means scrupulously flat surfaces and as far as you can, short conduction lengths. That is why the copper is so good. Drill the central hole SMALL. The closer you can approach the radius of the 808 illumination disc, the shorter the thermal conduction length and the greater the contact area (less lost to the hole). Then, to cool the copper these TECs with the central hole I think would be nice and compact.

Yes, that's why I want to use thermal epoxy and not have to worry about expansion ..

Something like this , but not exactly.. just a rough sketch :

Name:	MCA setup.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	35622

revised:

Name:	MCA setup2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	35623

The TEC Peltier I want to find will have a very small hole.. just barely big enough for the input pump beam to fit thru .
    And the peltier heatsink will be larger with flowing air and will have flexible support on the bottom to avoid stress on the crystals.

This , which I saw on another thread, appears to be a crystal mounted directly to a peltier junction cooler.. very cool .. (no pun intended .. ;]

Name:	xtal mounted to tec.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	35624
    Last edited by steve-o; 11-14-2012 at 17:37.

with flowing air means the cavity is going to be open and crystals shitted up and usless
    in no time, but for just experimenting with its ok
    if though you want it to last proberly best follow the traditional design route
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Roithner sells a 30 x 30mm one with a hole of 3 till 4 mm. It might be usefull

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

you could also make a hole in a classic peltier with a diamond bit and bridge the broken junctions with a small piece of wire... if that makes sense

Thanks you all for your input!
    Badger- I mean a sealed optical deck, just a fan circulating air over the heatsink then extracting it using a base-plate TEC , or something.. still working on it y'know .. Also tho, some people use micro-fibre filters w/ a fan to to bring fresh air in and circulate air while keeping it clean, while also keeping positive pressure in the optical comartment to keep the dirt out .. thanks for the ideas !
    Edison- thanks! I'll look tha up !
    Shrad- I had thought about drilling (the diamond bit is intriguing) I was wondering if that would ruin it. ? I don't know if I have the talent needed to bridge tiny broken junctions tho .. ;]

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Drilling the TeC means drilling Alumina. Its hard as a rock and brittle.

Better to just get scrap copper and get it over with. If there is any laying in the machine shop today I just might take care of ya, Steve-O

See attached pic.

If you insist on doing it the hard way...

Its actually known as a "Center Hole Peltier"

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steve-O_MCA2.png  

Last edited by mixedgas; 11-15-2012 at 05:27.

Well, I think I'll take the expert's advice and not do it the "hard-way" then..
    Thanks a bunch Steve ! There may be some copper here in this lab .. I'll look around here first .. Thanks

Here's a couple with holes.. for laser diodes. But may still work well? I thought I would throw this out there for you.

http://thermal.ferrotec.com/products...specialdesign/

http://www.rmtltd.ru/company/news/details/?id=99