Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An MCA Thread (this is a continuation of a discussion from the Big Green Thread)

Thanks Meatball! Cool stuff .

I think the thing about a crystal mounted to a plate on one side only (with flexible heat-conducting adhesive, if that's even available) is that , like Steve said, the xtal will grow and shrink ; I'm guessing due to heating and cooling, of course. Instead of clamping on 2 sides risking crystal cracking and breakage, this will allow the xtal to change shape (expand and contract) as it needs, without the risk of cracking. This is what I'll be striving for in this project. The 808 4W diode is almost ordered, (I'm presently talking to 2 folks from 2 different companies) and I will post results as soon as possible. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Instead of clamping on 2 sides risking crystal cracking and breakage, this will allow the xtal to change shape
    This is what the indium does, but if you don't force the crystal to within a frog's hair of it's limits it probably won't matter anyway. And there is the thought that if you can throw this together without engineering it to death and it works well than that will be encouraging.

Something else. If in spite of the short length of the crystal the output is polarized because of the vandate then you should be able to PBS the output of two of these and so you may still get good output even if you are limited in the power /MCA

That sounds good .
    and .. I'll resist trying to engineer it to death :] lol
    Last edited by steve-o; 11-16-2012 at 07:21.

The 4 Watt 808 diode is on it's way (Thanks Junktronix) and should be here soon. Although I plan on using my camera (which has a screen that picks up 808 very well, I'd still like to have some IR goggles before continuing this project.. found these at amazon.. will look at ebay probly tomorrow.. any good? .. any good ones for sale?
    http://www.amazon.com/808nm-Infrared.../dp/B002PJ9XB6
    or these might be better: (CE compliant)
    http://www.lightobject.com/600-1100n...fied-P699.aspx
    Last edited by steve-o; 11-16-2012 at 15:52.

send a mail to noir laser shields

they offer decent prices for amateur and enthusiasts, and are open for discussion

I got my NIR and ARGON goggles from them and they are HIGH quality, for less than what I was thinking for... they are still a spending though, but for long term use, its fair

Thanks Shrad I'll give 'em a holler .

Default Progress Report ..

Ok, just to let you-all know that this thread isn't dead and I have not given up ..
    A few piccys of the progress..

MCA on copper bus-bar with indium foil in place .. (yes, Steve you can see tooling marks.. mybad .. :]

This is getting stupid-silly.. working with microsopic components .. here's the size of my finger next to the crystal I'm working with .. never again ..

Attaching the temporary low-power 1W 808 diode to rotating baseplate heatsink to test for polarization issues ..

Getting some green.. next will be the 4 Watt pump and hope I don't crack the crystal ..
    (the round glass thing is an IR filter- trying to keep it out - the camera picks up all of the IR) .. no focusing lenses yet.. that's next ..

No power readings yet.. I'll post when I get something substantial.. this is very preliminary stuff .. for now ..

Thanks you-all for looking ..

Cheerz and Happy T-day weekend

--S
    Last edited by steve-o; 11-23-2012 at 18:08.

Thanks for this steve.

I also have one of these crystals coming, so please keep an eye out for any appropriate output coupler.
    I like your test setup
    "its called character briggs..."

thanx lanek.. I plan on "testing" this crystal 'till it breaks. I hope you like working with very tiny pieces of glass .. ;/
    re: the output lens: will probably be a plain-ol' convex .. they seem to do the job ok ..