Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An MCA Thread (this is a continuation of a discussion from the Big Green Thread)

Well, i don't like it as such, but i'll do it if i have to.

I'm starting to dream of a blue/green module in one box... maybe a red for rgb?

so, from what i see, you just put the 808 diode close to the MCA and fired it up?
    No other optics in between? I would expect a few more pieces of glass in there
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    so, from what i see, you just put the 808 diode close to the MCA and fired it up?
    No other optics in between? I would expect a few more pieces of glass in there
    Yeh, just pumping straight out of the diode like the pic on post #2 on the big green thread. Probably will have to get a focusing lens for optimal performance, but we'll see. The simpler the better imho (less parts) ..

well, I thought we would need an aspheric collimator, then an anamorphic prism pair and then a focusing lens

or at least a FACed diode a collimator and a focusing lens
    so, i' m more than glad to see your green light with such a minimal setup.

quick and dirty is the way i prefer my test setups, too
    "its called character briggs..."

Quick & dirty yeah! .. (although believe it or not this took quite a while for even this simple setup ) ..

Heres a couple of good notes on c-mount diodes :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C mount notes.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	396.4 KB 
ID:	35854

An interesting note also, the polarity does not seem to be standardized on the c-mount diodes.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Steve-O, the MCA should be direct against the indium. Your picture is confusing... Are those Aluminum blocks? The Indium should be compressed till you need to scrape it off if removed.

Steve

Steve the indium foil is compressed on both sides of the xtal. One side is copper (the "L" shaped left piece that is pressing on the smaller vanadate side) and the other is aluminum (the square looking piece on the right) . There is pressure on the crystal from the square aluminum piece. The gap that is cut on top of the square alum piece is quite a bit larger uncompressed. The foil looks loose in the pics , but I guarantee it is under quite a bit of pressure between it and the mounting "spring". I guess it's hard for me to explain what I did .. I hope I did it right .. :/

Default Hmm

This is gonna take a lot more work than I thought. The original 808 diode must have had FAC because it was a square pattern out .. this one is a line and takes a focusing lens, and even that with 4 watts in (?) I'm getting only 5 mw out .. for now .. the parts are so small .. wish I had something substantial to hold on to and work with .. argh ..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00885.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	35952
    Last edited by steve-o; 12-01-2012 at 19:33.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Sorry to hear that. Move your pump focus back and forth. Cool the pump a little. Rotate the pump polarization. Odds are your not in the Vandate active region... Just a thought

Steve

Well Steve, with more work and some more money spent (need coll-lens) I'm sure that it can be done .. buttt ...I just found out that the max I can get from this is probly about 400-500mw not 1W. Just bought a 500mw complete unit from a member here.. think I'll proceed with the new projector build with that .. it'll be "mostly" home-grown but not all. It wasn't that important .. I may try to xperiment w/ it sometime later ..
    Thanks for the interest . :]

Have we tried using just a 808nm diode with FAC and this MCA?