Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An MCA Thread (this is a continuation of a discussion from the Big Green Thread)

Yes, did try that with fairly good results. It was a low power 808/FAC diode from an old lasever I disassembled. When I bought the new 4W 808 there was no FAC lens.. then funds ran out .. put project on hold for a bit (but, not giving up yet) .. ;]

dont you have any spare prism pairs kicking around ? that would be worth a try on the fast axis

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Yes, did try that with fairly good results. It was a low power 808/FAC diode from an old lasever I disassembled. When I bought the new 4W 808 there was no FAC lens.. then funds ran out .. put project on hold for a bit (but, not giving up yet) .. ;]
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Think I'll try a 3w w/FAC with these MCAs. Im only looking for about 500mw of green.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    dont you have any spare prism pairs kicking around ? that would be worth a try on the fast axis
    Yep, but mainly going for simplicity of design .. too many parts y'know .. plus I've now got 1/2 watt green ;] so proceeding with a different RGB build ..

@ f150trk21- Yeah that'll probably work . Maybe 4 Watts 808 . There's a post on this thread w/ a FAC on my experiment .. see post #5 ..
    Last edited by steve-o; 12-11-2012 at 17:45.

Hey You-all!! I'm jump-starting this ole dead thread again!! Exciting , huh .. :/ Okay, now I'm looking for a good 808nm 5W+ diode with the FAC built in !!
    I see a few on fleabay but cant tell crap vs. good. Can somebody give me a clue ?? Thx !!!!!

Steve-o,
    I may be able to help you there. This is going to sound like musical chairs. I am successfully pumping the big green to 3.8W with dual 10 W 808nm FACs each running @ 8W. Previously, I lost one to a Badpip driver and another to stray light from it's partner. In any case, I believe that to go any further will require the better beam profile of a fiber homogenized diode, but I am not sure. So, Steve will send me a low power fiber coupled module to test and if it is promising (limited or no higher orders up to the maximum pump power) then I will invest in higher power modules to really let this laser fly. I then have 2 diodes, each mounted on a water cooled block attached to a Lasorb enclosed within a protective housing (approx 40mm x 40mm x 40mm ). The diodes alone each cost $300 and in this scenario I would let them go for much less. I am waiting for Steve to get me the module. If you can wait then this might work well.

.. And around and around they go .. Sure Mr.P, I can wait .. This sounds a lot better than spending a similar amount on ebay and receiving who knows what ?? Thanks !!

.. In the mean-time though, I may still try to get one with the FAC lens built in just because, like I said, less components to align = life is better. Anybody know if these are any good? :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5W-808nm-Las...item4ac124547a

Save your money. I had 2 of those. Cooked in a week. Plus the FAC on them is sh*t. Still had smile to it and was a loose rectangle at best. Different source tho, maybe these are better but they look EXACTLY the same. My vote would be a Coherent FAP with a ocean optics SMA collimator on it. Works great, no extra parts. Screws right on to the FAP. Also if you happen to have any of those blue dpss units from science-surplus there is a great lens in the fluorescence probes. Cant find one? Let me know...

Thanks als1980 for the heads-up on those .

Quote Originally Posted by als1980 View Post
    a Coherent FAP with a ocean optics SMA collimator on it. Works great, no extra parts. Screws right on to the FAP.
    .. and the price tag of this set-up is?? (I'm not a large corporation, just a week-end hobbiest with a fairly modest budget for these projects) ..