Thread: Passionate laser newbie looking for apprentiship

Default Passionate laser newbie looking for apprentiship

Hello, I have a Bachelors of Science in Computer Science from Northeastern University in Boston and my daytime job as Software Engineer in Testing (SQAE) in Philadelphia isn't quite fulfilling my physical electric dreams. I am looking to get together with some experienced laser/lighting designers in the Philadelphia area who can give me a chance to explore my visual side and show me the ropes to laser show creation/production, laser testing, laser construction/alignment, and more. If you think you can help, please contact me at bbern@ccs.neu.edu.

Thanks,

Brad

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hi Brad... I'm Brad. My son is in his junior year at University of Delaware looking to get his BS in Computer Science. As the crow flies, you're probably about a half hour away from me as I live in Wilmington and work in Newark, DE. That's also where all the laser toys are kept and I have a 7000+ square foot room to play with them. I have most of the current different software/hardware packages out there for laser display, BEYOND, LD2000, Quickshow, LSX, Phoenix Pro 4+, Moncha, looking at getting Fiesta, Spaghetti, x-19, some package from Lasernet, etc., etc. (Doesn't mean I know how to use them all though!) More than welcome to have you visit sometime. There is one other Delaware member who may chime in who is much more knowledgable about gas and all things old skool. There are a couple of others in the general vicinity as well. Welcome to PL! It's a wild bumpy expensive ride!

Hi Brad, thanks for the warm welcome! I sure am nearby; roughly 30-45 minutes right down 202. I'd be up for meeting sometime and getting some exposure in the laser domain! That is neat your son is pursuing a Computer Science degree. That degree gave me a great understanding of the world since I chose Physics as my engineering focus area within computer science. I have some great friends in the hardware side of computer engineering who I mesh with synergistically, but none are into lasers and light dynamics. Working in software development, even though my company produces commercial OCR scanning devices, I rarely get to use those physics skills I've attained and would like to put them to use before I loose them!! Overall, I'd really like to see where I'd fit in the field of laser show production and design and figure out how to diverge into that field. As a musician and artist on the side, I envision the lasers/lighting as an awesome piece of music production. Light energy can influence the music/art and the music/art can influence the light design; truly an amazing dynamic! The latest technology with 3D laser projection is certainly inspiring on many levels. I desperately await the day I can see it with my own eyes! Feel free to email or PM me for my contact information.
    ~Brad

Woops, my QA mode kicked in and just noticed I spelled apprenticeship wrong... if only I could fix it now... there is no option for that I can find...

Hey Brad,
    Welcome to the most expensive hobby next to boating there is. I live in Newark, DE and would be happy to meet up
    with You and (BB) Brad some night for some of the most excellent light shows you'll ever see. My projectors are based
    around gas lasers and poly chromatic acousto optic modulators which is a fancy name for an electronic prism for blanking
    and color selection. Once you get Hooked on laser light, your wallet will start bleeding... You've now been warned
    Best Regards,
    Mark

Go visit Brad, he is a great guy from the two days I have spent with him and has some good stuff and a great place. He also should have some nice new stuff from Jon soon Yes Brad you need those Sabres (ION's FTW)

-Adam

P.S. I love argon lasers so I am biased.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.