Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix live or PANGOLIN quickshow

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

gogostar,

you never answered my question about what your intended use is. there may be cheaper alternatives that meet your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by gogostar87 View Post
    Thank you very much for help guys,
    It seems i should get LD2000, but cheapest one i found was over £870 ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pangolin-L...item1c2e320ad9 ) so i think i will stick to quickshow for £300
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    the FB3/Quickshow package doesn't contain any shows. it contains some static frames, lots of 2-5 second animations, and some abstracts. Quickshow imports and plays .ild fine, but won't save/export to .ild. this is a problem if you want to share laser shows you've made with non pangolin users.

is your goal live button mashing shows (DJ/rave/concert), or is your goal to create pre-programmed shows?
    Bit of both, I'd like to make live shows, but main use would be in club, so i'll be looking for something what can operate without me.

Default Laser Software

Bit of both, I'd like to make live shows, but main use would be in club, so i'll be looking for something what can operate without me.
    I am a newby at this with a Reke 500RGB and QuickShow and am Amazed at the versatility of the QS software, and the amount of shows on the Pangolin Showspace member website to download and learn from is great! That being said...the inability to export to the .ilda format and that you can't use the Pangolin FB3 (DAC computer-to-laser interface) with any other laser software are the only restrictions I don't like.

I would like to throw out the LSX laser software...
    Check out the review at:
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f47/ls...ges-68442.html

Creator Website Store:
    http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/LSX.php

A place to purchase a starter version:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSX-RIYA-Las...item2ec09c100c

I don't own this software (yet)...but am considering it...

If any others with experience with QS and LSX could add to the comparison???
    Last edited by rodman1369; 12-28-2012 at 19:21. Reason: Finishing

QS fits the bill then as its VLJ feature is unbelievebly good at automated playback as it will automatically select and playback cues either based on BPM or on audio input with adjustable beat timing. There's also a similar featuer built into the QuickFX area that can do the same with QuickFX and can run simoutaneously with the main VLJ.

LSX is more powerful for the money at show building but harder to use and lacks automated playback so far as I'm aware.

As for operating without you, I hope someone will be there by an estop.

I made a vlj tutorial for QS which is here and may answer some of your questions:

Video not embedding so link added: http://vimeo.com/19288816
    Last edited by White-Light; 12-29-2012 at 01:54.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    LSX is more powerful for the money at show building but harder to use and lacks automated playback so far as I'm aware.
    LSX does have a show player, but it is fairly basic at this point. You can't save your show lists for future use, nor can you trigger shows to begin at a particular time.

Gogostar - You may want to consider future compatibility for the hardware as well. If you go the Pango route, you are going to be locked to proprietary hardware with the lack of export functionality described above. If you go with a package that is compatible with multiple DACs or at least offers open-source DACs, you will have the ability to use other packages as well.

For example, I started out using Mamba, which is relatively easy to use, but somewhat limited in functionality. I bought several Medialas DACs which I thought would be only useful for Mamba, but then LSX came along and works great with them. No cable swapping required to switch between software packages - just switch software and you are good. Not to mention, I think the LSX software is dirt cheap for what you receive, especially when you go to the Pro level.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

No offense but phoenix support and userbase is small and I wouldn't recommend this software to anyone.
    Some of my friends have it, while it does the job. it's not really satisfying for the price.

Pangolin copying support for a midi controller? it's not some exclusive phoenix feature. This is what we call expanding supported hardware and midi control capabilities and not copying really.
    There is so much stuff I could say phoenix "copied" from pangolin if thats the case.

LSX is what you want if your an advanced user instead.
    and pangolin quickshow is when you want to be able to work with it right away without a steep learning curve or anything, if your mostly a live performer and also have little time to create content or are a traveling DJ, then this is your best choice.

Most germans use LDS really and NOT phoenix.
    I have never heard more negative comments about an userbase and software support and stability then phoenix.
    I tried there 3D features on prolight and sound.... and sadly to say it was still as bad as the 3D import support an their older versions.
    In fact it even crashed on prolight and sound.
    Last edited by masterpj; 12-31-2012 at 07:18.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

[QUOTE=White-Light;248912]

I made a vlj tutorial for QS which is here and may answer some of your questions:

[QUOTE]

Thank you WL... enjoyed the tutorial although I have a question. Maybe this needs to be directed at Pangolin. When I try to bring up the drop down box of music input devices, the only thing I have a choice of is the Realtek microphone jack. I can't select Windows Media Player or anything else for that matter. I have Media Player on the computer of course but, neither Quickshow (or BEYOND for that matter) shows anything but the microphone input. Any ideas? I haven't checked my other computers yet but, it's really this computer I'd like for VLJ to work on. It's a Dell All In One touchscreen pc. Using Windows 7 and a recent version of both Quickshow and BEYOND.

i have a feeling that Pangolin is quite close to go wireless as standard now Just a feeling

However, i would go pangolin any day, not that i have tried any other.. but i do love their support.
    And the reason i went pangolin from the first day was because of all positive comments on this forum
    Last edited by db3306; 12-31-2012 at 18:35.
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post

Thank you WL... enjoyed the tutorial although I have a question. Maybe this needs to be directed at Pangolin. When I try to bring up the drop down box of music input devices, the only thing I have a choice of is the Realtek microphone jack. I can't select Windows Media Player or anything else for that matter. I have Media Player on the computer of course but, neither Quickshow (or BEYOND for that matter) shows anything but the microphone input. Any ideas? I haven't checked my other computers yet but, it's really this computer I'd like for VLJ to work on. It's a Dell All In One touchscreen pc. Using Windows 7 and a recent version of both Quickshow and BEYOND.
    The input source doesn't matter so long as it works.

What the software is doing is detecting all the possible recording inputs that are available from Windows. It doesn't show individual software media players therefore but rather any hardware that's associated with recording input. If you get an input from the microphone hardware during Windows Media Player software playback, then all is good.

Default Audio In

I know there's probably a software solution you will learn shortly...but I resolved this very problem with an audio splitter with one male plug and two female plugs and a small male to male jumper cable.

Male jack plugs into headphone jack...headphone plugs into one female split and jumper cable from second female split to microphone input.

This means whatever music player you use is outputting to headphones (or external sound system) and into the microphone input to be picked up by the laser software.

I found that...depending on what media software you are using...that sometimes the sound is corrupted some by the laser software (Pangolin QS in my case) unless you have the media software on top. So I can select the VLJ and various effects (as in the GREAT Video tutorial here) and THEN start the music on top and it works just fine.

Hope this solution can help someone out there...I am beginner and want to contribute where I can.

Rodney D.