Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix live or PANGOLIN quickshow

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I actually tried the male to male jumper cable yesterday and ran from the headphone jack to the mic in jack and even with the sound turned all the way up it wasn't providing enough signal to get the cues to move on the beats. Although as I'm typing this, I'm thinking perhaps I need to increase the mic sensitivity. Sure, I could just sit there and tap the keyboard but, I can see enormous advantages to letting the cues change with the music from time to time. I did a show the other night and looked like a one armed paper hanger jumping back and forth between DMX controller, two control computers, midi controller, audio mixer, and wireless keyfob style remotes.

May have to explore Rodney's solution.... wonder if Radio Shack will be open on New Years Day?

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    the FB3/Quickshow package doesn't contain any shows. it contains some static frames, lots of 2-5 second animations, and some abstracts.
    To be more specific, when you purchase QuickShow or even download the demo version, the workspace includes nearly 2000 cues. These are ready to go for live performances (the most popular use for QuickShow) but these same cues can be used as the basis for creating your own shows.

We do not include any complete shows with the installation DVD or downloadable demo, HOWEVER, there are more than 50 full-length laser shows on the Pangolin Shows Portal: http://www.pangolinshows.com

Quote Originally Posted by gogostar87 View Post
    Thank you very much for help guys,
    It seems i should get LD2000, but cheapest one i found was over £870 ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pangolin-L...item1c2e320ad9 ) so i think i will stick to quickshow for £300
    Actually QuickShow is quite powerful indeed! We knew we had a winner when even our professional-level LD2000 users said they really liked the QuickShow style of user interface. If it turns out you need more power later on, we offer upgrade options to both LD2000 or our newer BEYOND software by only paying the difference in price. So you can start with us at any level, and then work your way up as your requirements and budget allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post

Thank you WL... enjoyed the tutorial although I have a question. Maybe this needs to be directed at Pangolin. When I try to bring up the drop down box of music input devices, the only thing I have a choice of is the Realtek microphone jack. I can't select Windows Media Player or anything else for that matter.
    Yes what you are seeing is correct. The Virtual Laser Jockey effectively "listens to" the music and can automatically trigger cues and live effects. But in order to "listen" it uses the microphone built into most laptops. You can do the trick mentioned earlier in this thread, but I also think there is a kind of virtual device driver that will redirect WAV output to a mic input. We will revisit this in the future, based on further client feedback.

Best regards,

William Benner

why does everyone mention LSX is for "advanced" users every time? have you at least tried it? using math formulas offers some very strong tools to do any effects you desire, have a look at what swamidog is producing with abstract generator

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by dzodzo View Post
    why does everyone mention LSX is for "advanced" users every time? have you at least tried it? using math formulas offers some very strong tools to do any effects you desire, have a look at what swamidog is producing with abstract generator
    here are some examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVSs...eature=mh_lolz
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    To be more specific, when you purchase QuickShow or even download the demo version, the workspace includes nearly 2000 cues. These are ready to go for live performances (the most popular use for QuickShow) but these same cues can be used as the basis for creating your own shows.
    fair enough, i understated the number of cues. however, there are a number of cues that i would consider unusable or having very limited use.

specifically cartoon snippets like the pink panther or three seconds of mr.magoo(?) driving a car.

no offense intended, but i see a lot of the included content more as fluff than as usable for show creation. in the interest of full disclosure, i don't like flickery neon cartoon laser shows. other users may find cues like this valuable, but it's a big turn off for me.

i don't mean to sound like i'm picking on pangolin. i would guess that this applies to most if not all laser show packages. the better the content, the more expensive the licensing and those costs get pushed to the consumer.

since we're on the subject of content, how does the licensing for the included trademarked or copy written content work? are users at risk if they distribute or sell shows that have tweetie bird and sylvester or the pink panther or the logo of a sports team in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    do not include any complete shows with the installation DVD or downloadable demo, HOWEVER, there are more than 50 full-length laser shows on the Pangolin Shows Portal: http://www.pangolinshows.com
    very true. the pangolin show space is an excellent resource. thank you for hosting it.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

however, there are a number of cues that i would consider unusable or having very limited use.

specifically cartoon snippets like the pink panther or three seconds of mr.magoo(?) driving a car.
    Small shows for kids...I flashed the cartoon characters and the kids were all shouting out the character's names. Was fun.
    Maybe nothing to a big Laserist...but small gigs get you bigger gigs...

Quote Originally Posted by dzodzo View Post
    This is true but most people aren't really fond of having to use all kinds of math to make effects and rather have this all intergrated in gui

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Actually the most common functions are integrated in the GUI. You would only use math if you need something else or want to have more control. You can implement only so much in a GUI.

*steps out of the discussion*

Hey that's a great idea.

I don't want to call it a big laserist (I'm not) vs. a hobbiest. It's just different artistic styles.

It doesn't have value for me, but I'm glad it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    Small shows for kids...I flashed the cartoon characters and the kids were all shouting out the character's names. Was fun.
    Maybe nothing to a big Laserist...but small gigs get you bigger gigs...

Thanks for help guys, i went for quickshow, it arrived yesterday and i love it! play time... Btw i bought this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1408986150...84.m1439.l2649 and i was wondering if the actual disc should have pangolin logo or something on it because mine has nothing on it and it looks like burned copy. is there any way to check if all package is original or some copy?