Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another episode of "What is it"

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=Stoney3K;249917]Since we've already determined the 7950 is in fact a Q-switched laser head... that doesn't Q-switch all by itself, does it? You'd need some way to connect it to the outside world, and the BNC seems to be its only connection.

I'd never rule out passive Q-Switches.

Chromium doped Q-Switch crystals self avalanche with no external drive. So do the older dye based "bleaching" Q-Switches. We have a dye laser in our lab that can mode locked with a Q-Switch jet loaded with a second dye.

One minute with a voltmeter and mag-lite will most likely identify the internal device.

See this useful link for a "edu-vacation." from what your supposed to be doing at the desk.

http://www.scientificmaterials.com/p...ch_Cr4-YAG.php

A low average power 1064 laser with a tight beam in a 1" diameter housing could be a very useful device for troubleshooting/aligning other lasers and YAG amplifiers.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-09-2013 at 08:13.

Ill see if I can get the guy I know with a VNA locally to check it out. I have been down with a cold this week. Fun..

Hope it is 41MHz, I have a few drives for that. Ill try hooking it to one of the SMA output on those chinese modules.

Hey guys, I dont want to spoil the game here but I have the manual(is that cheating?) for this guy. The pump is up to 500mw. The Q-switch input is 4W of 27.12MHz. the L104 in the part number means it is a 1047nm Nd:YLF head. This means the pump should be 795nm.

Ooo, thanks for the info.

27.12mhz. Dammit. Need another freq of q-switch driver. And another wavelength of drive diode.

Does the manual spec which drive box this head uses?

For the pump the options were:
    7200-L1
    7200-L2
    7200-L3
    with the caveat that the L3 must be kept under 500mW
    the q-switch driver box is the 7250
    There was also the 7955 frequency doubler offered as an add-on.

Thanks again. I have the 7260 Q switch box, it runs at 41mhz. Too bad. At least now I have an idea what the box was supposed to drive. It does make a nice stand alone q-switch drive box though.

Does it say what the difference between the L versions is?

Power.
    L1 = 200mW
    L2 = 500mW
    L3 = 1000mW

27.12Mhz is close to some cheap walkie-talkies and remote toys here in europe... if you have the same, a small RF amplifier hooked to the kids Mr-potato RC car remote controller might do the trick

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

27.125 is US CB channel 14. A good US CB is ~4 watts if it has full Legal power. Strip the voice modulator transformer out of the old CB, put in pulsed DC via a switching mosfet in place of the modulator, and try it. If and only if you own a RF wattmeter.

Phat, whats the rep rate the manual specs? He'll need that little piece of data. RF is probably only on to block lasing, yes? Will it do CW per the manual?

Steve

The manual says RF can be turned off for CW. Pulse rate on the box is 10-9990 Hz. I have the yag version of this head. One day I'll have to put it through it's paces.