Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WHAT is the BEST Laser show software PHOENIX, Fiesta, Moncha, ishow, Mamba black.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Sorry, maybe I missed the advert for Pangolin, other than mentioning their name in my post. Care to enlighten me? Maybe the bee in your bonnet affected your perceptions or something.

I think, on the 'How to win friends and influence people' scale, you're definately the winner though... And that's 'winning' on the Charlie Sheen scale btw

Although I'm a Pangolin user, I'm far from an ass kisser (having had my own issues in the past), but if you want to shoot down all of those around you, allies or otherwise, you go right ahead. I for one enjoy watching self destructions on the internet. This is clearly a 'honey pot' thread for you, and it's obviously done the trick of being another vehicle for your bitching, sniping and whining *waaaaah*.

Getting back to the original topic, from what I've seen, Fiesta seems to be the best developed, robust, intuitive and most likely to be around of the rest. Certainly, it's probably where my money would go.

That is a great idea, and a great suggestion Edison.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    If your looking for something else as pangolin i would choose Fiesta. Or a RYA multibus controller build in that works also with Mamba , LSX and LDS. Maybe phoenix too so changing your hardware gives you the option to try several different kinds of software to see wich you like. The multibus has everything on board. If it worked also with Fiesta i would have it in all my projectors because you could offer the customer several software options to choose from. I personally like Fiesta but its a personal choice. It seems very stable but maybe it also has something to do with that i never go with the mainstream.

Just to add some additional information on Medialas' Mamba software. I've used this package for the past 8 years for playing and creating content. (I have used iShow for about 1 day and am have just started creating content in LSX a few months ago. ) Medialas' M3 is the latest version of the software (Mamba Black and Mamba 2 were the prior versions.)

Pros:

M3 is easy to use. The interface is simple and easy to adjust/customize. 2D content creation is simple and the effects to adjust them in shows is also easy to understand and implement. Furthermore, effects added to frames shows up in real time in the timeline track assuming you've zoomed in your view adequately.

M3 can import and export ILD frames easily. This allows your content to be used by other packages that can read ILD framelists such as LSX and Beyond. It also means you can import shows written on other packages if they have exported to a standard ILD file.

M3 is stable. I haven't seen M3 crash during content creation or playing yet. The one time in 8 years that I did need support, I got the answer I needed quickly from OldGrumpy via this site.

M3 is easy to use for multi-projector content creation. Individual tracks can be assigned to multiple projectors on a show by show basis. This allows you to quickly take existing shows and map them to your multi-projector environment.

M3's 3D preview environment is quite good. You can easily position multiple projectors in a 3D environment to preview how the show will appear in your target environment. You can also view the content being played from any angle to see how it will appear to the audience.

Medialas' DACs are stable. I haven't had a problem with a Medialas DAC yet. Furthermore, they are open source so other software packages like LSX can use them as well.

Cons

Medialas products are a bit expensive. The software isn't bad compared to some of the high-end packages, but is still nearly double the price of LSX Pro. The DACs are roughly 300 euros each and shipping anything out of Germany costs a minimum of 80 Euros.

M3 sacrifices high-end effects for simplicity. You can't create high end 3D effects, softcolor effects, complex geometric / mathematical manipulation like you can with some packages (LSX).

Userbase is somewhat limited outside of Germany. If you speak / write German, there may be good support forums and perhaps free content available, but I'm not aware of any resources in English.

Overall, I don't think M3 competes with high-end offerings like Beyond or LSX for complex content creation, but it does have simplicity and a not-that-high price to its credit.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Please tell me more about this??
    +1 Sebastien
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    A laser software for apple?
    Sounds like a bad move software wise you would be chasing off all windows users.
    In mac you can use bootcamp to run windows applications, while hackintosh works.. most people don't even bother and to top it all off there aren't too many mac programmers in this industry at all so when it comes to third party development.. this aint too much of an hotshot .

Stick with the software that is there now, if it aint broken don't fix it nor switch it.

I'm interested in 1 or 2 LD2000 intro .net boxes.
    While they are valid points that you make, it's not totally ridiculous to think there is a market for native Apple laser software.

When we have to run two different OS on our computers, it is broken.

As I'm sure you are aware several people at Pangoling use Macs. Quiet a few of us here use them and a very large percentage use them for music/AV production live or in the studio.

Yes, We all use Bootcamp and virtualisation software because we have to but not because we want to.

Now I don't want to get into an OS war because I use both and I'm a realist. I use Windows via Bootcamp for CAD and I think most engineering CAD software will remain off limits to Macs but the world of music and lighting productions don't seem soo far apart. You see an awful lot of white Apple logos in amongst stage rigs at shows.

Realistically I agree with your points but there are some of us where in our version of and ideal world we could use our preferred OS to play and work with lasers.

Don't drown that kitten before it has a chance to live.

If someone has the passion and motivation to make Mac laser software I'll support their efforts.

Cheers
    Kit
    Last edited by kitatit; 01-07-2013 at 06:10. Reason: spelling

I would be pleased when there will be one on the mac Kit.

I'm a happy owner of Pangolin Beyond with FB3 ,
    never had any problem with it .

Cheers!
    Philipp Wetter

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ssshhh..... that's not on the list.

(One might call that "advertising".)

@Andy - for what it's worth, I tend to agree with Edison in that, of the programs you listed, Fiesta would be my choice, just based on the demos I've played with. I've just not had the bad experiences you've encountered with that other company that begins with P and therefore have no reason to share in your negativity. Nor am I an ass kisser, as you so eloquently tried to refer to me.

I happen to like Hyundai's and have owned three. But I've also had Fords, Acura, Cadillac, Chevy, etc. If someone is looking for a car and comparing a couple brands.... I'm still going to sing them my praises of Hyundai and suggest they look at one, even though it may not be on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Ssshhh..... that's not on the list.

(One might call that "advertising".)
    Oops , sorry , my bad :P
    Philipp Wetter

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    +1 Sebastien

While they are valid points that you make, it's not totally ridiculous to think there is a market for native Apple laser software.

When we have to run two different OS on our computers, it is broken.

As I'm sure you are aware several people at Pangoling use Macs. Quiet a few of us here use them and a very large percentage use them for music/AV production live or in the studio.

Yes, We all use Bootcamp and virtualisation software because we have to but not because we want to.

Now I don't want to get into an OS war because I use both and I'm a realist. I use Windows via Bootcamp for CAD and I think most engineering CAD software will remain off limits to Macs but the world of music and lighting productions don't seem soo far apart. You see an awful lot of white Apple logos in amongst stage rigs at shows.

Realistically I agree with your points but there are some of us where in our version of and ideal world we could use our preferred OS to play and work with lasers.

Don't drown that kitten before it has a chance to live.

If someone has the passion and motivation to make Mac laser software I'll support their efforts.

Cheers
    Kit

I totally agree with everything Kit has said... It is not 2001 anymore.

As someone pretty much brand new to this laser world, who is also usually OS agnostic - given the chance to work in Mac OS vs Windows when dealing with MIDI and OSC (which I totally plan on eventually doing), I would 150% choose Mac OS any day. I have never tried getting OSC working in Windows, but I have read horror stories in several music related forums - like touchOSC. OSC on Mac OS just works. Its part of CoreMidi - it's built into the OS.

It is a shame that none of the major show / abstract creation software apps are cross platform. There are plenty of high-end software packages being sold these days that are cross platform, so the business model is proven to be successful - and I see no real advantages from a development point of view of choosing .net (or win32) vs something cross platform, like Qt, Java, or even Mono. Professional examples include Modo (3D modeling, animation, rendering), Unity3D (3D game engine and development framework), as well as the entire Adobe suite....

If you have been to any software developer conference in the past 3 or 4 years, you would see an overwhelming majority of MacBook Pros being used by developers. Yes, it is true we still have to have a VM or bootcamp partition for the odd piece of Windows software, but as Kit said, it is usually only out of necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    I totally agree with everything Kit has said... It is not 2001 anymore.

As someone pretty much brand new to this laser world, who is also usually OS agnostic - given the chance to work in Mac OS vs Windows when dealing with MIDI and OSC (which I totally plan on eventually doing), I would 150% choose Mac OS any day. I have never tried getting OSC working in Windows, but I have read horror stories in several music related forums - like touchOSC. OSC on Mac OS just works. Its part of CoreMidi - it's built into the OS.

It is a shame that none of the major show / abstract creation software apps are cross platform. There are plenty of high-end software packages being sold these days that are cross platform, so the business model is proven to be successful - and I see no real advantages from a development point of view of choosing .net (or win32) vs something cross platform, like Qt, Java, or even Mono. Professional examples include Modo (3D modeling, animation, rendering), Unity3D (3D game engine and development framework), as well as the entire Adobe suite....

If you have been to any software developer conference in the past 3 or 4 years, you would see an overwhelming majority of MacBook Pros being used by developers. Yes, it is true we still have to have a VM or bootcamp partition for the odd piece of Windows software, but as Kit said, it is usually only out of necessity.
    There is a brand new show control system in UK that is totally built on the mac platform, not launched yet but I have seen it and its actually brilliant and very well thought out, designed by people who do events and funded by a consortium of European partners from quite a few areas of the show bizz community. The developers are taking it slow to ensure the systems are rock solid before exposing it to any critics; As soon as its goes public; I will post some info.