Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WHAT is the BEST Laser show software PHOENIX, Fiesta, Moncha, ishow, Mamba black.

Default WHAT is the BEST Laser show software PHOENIX, Fiesta, Moncha, ishow, Mamba black.

Interested in opinions both good and bad.

What about LaserBoy?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I own:

Quickshow
    LD2000
    LivePro
    BEYOND
    Phoenix Pro 4+
    LSX Pro
    Moncha 2.0
    Spaghetti
    X-29
    Lasermax

On my radar to purchase for some time is Fiesta.

I'll throw out X-29 and Lasermax simply because I haven't worked with either one at this point. One of the main reasons for my having so many various programs is to be able to play the content available that others have created for them. I've never created a show or really even ever drawn a frame. I suck at software to be quite honest.

Moncha 2.0 was the first software I ever owned as I bought it along with a small chinese projector through a guy on eBay. It was my first RGB and like 220mW total. The guy had created a few shows to Pink Floyd which are pretty good. While fairly basic, the thing I like about Moncha is that Showtacle cranks out (decent) shows pretty quickly - almost Steve Milani fast. So, I find there is much more current music/shows available for Moncha than Pangolin. That's one of the reasons I want Fiesta. The cues that come with it are in many cases more interesting than the ones in Quickshow or LivePro. When I'm demostrating lasers for a group of brides as a possible upsell for their wedding, I invariably use Moncha. But, on the night of the event, I use Quickshow or LivePro to play along with whatever the DJ is playing.

LSX - Powerful. Came with a bunch of shows. Confusing to someone not familiar with laser software and perhaps even confusing to those that ARE familiar with it. I've fired it up maybe 3 times in the year+ that I've owned it. When I want to see something with LSX, one need look no further than Chris (Swami's) youtube videos and, I'd LOVE to see them live rather than on a computer monitor. (hint, hint)

Quickshow, LD2000 and BEYOND. Granted this flies in the face of your recent rant but, sorry... Pango rules. Huge amount of content. Much easier to understand than Phoenix and LSX. And quite frankly, having met and talked at length on many occasions with Bill, I thoroughly enjoy him and am always impressed at the support he has consistently shown the hobbiest market. The fact that a CEO of an international company will take the time out of his schedule to be sitting there in a little boat house in nowhereville Florida at 2 am in jeans and a t shirt, shooting the shit and making a group of 10 people feel like they matter and are valuable... is priceless. I cannot speak for issues with networking or the issues you may have had with trying to run 26 cards at the same time.

Spaghetti - Again, bought it to play the content that people have created for spaghetti. It's basic but does exactly what it's author intended and again, Gary is accessable.

Phoenix - Bought it based on Boris's Youtube video and the fact that I got it way below market price. Had some difficulty installing it. It too comes with a lot of shows but, as it turns out, they're the same as the shows in LSX. I don't find it to be anywhere as easy to use as LD2000 and, I have experienced lock ups and had to shut down and restart. The Live portion looks to be ok but, simply setting up a show and trying to adjust things like zones and the various safety things such as BAM that Pangolin includes are not intuitive, if they exist at all.

I have seen Digisynth and Lasergraph DSP in action and while they would be nice to own as well, are way more than I can justify spending at the level I'm at now.

Oh, and Fiesta - I also want it because again, Michal(sp) at Showtacle cranks out great current content like nobodys business and make it readily available on their web site for free.

My $.02

(Oh and James... I own a DAC you built for Laserboy but have never gotten my hands on the software. I also have three audiolase dacs from 300Evil for running a large number of shows in wave files I have as well. Also an HD24 and a couple ADATS.)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 01-06-2013 at 09:21.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32991715.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	36335

Now that would make a killer show, don't u think?
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

Interesting -
    Noticed there was no mention of Pangolin in the thread title.
    It seems if you wanted to survey opinions on the BEST laser show software, you would want to include mention of one of the top-rated laser control systems in the world today.

I'll agree 100% with the Brad's comments concerning the systems (and people) I have spent the most time with:

+1 for Pangolin (hardware, software, available content, and the people & support behind the products), with a close second for Andrew's LSX suite and it's unique capabilities. I'll admit I got "spoiled" early, as my initial entry into the laser show arena revolved around a Pangolin FB3 and LivePro USB, and I received a LOT of long-distance support from Pangolin's CEO...

I saw Digisynth demoed during a "beta" phase at a planaterium in Texas a few years ago, and I WISH I could afford it!!!

By all accounts, Gary's Spaghetti and James' LaserBoy are quite capable and very unique in their own rights, and both probably work quite well for their user base, but I don't have enough hands-on with either to give them any comments based on experience.

iShow - really?
    Reputation alone probably puts it in the "do not acquire" category.

I have heard that Phoenix, Moncha, Mamba, etc. work OK for some folks, but I definitely can't imagine moving from Pangolin to any of those particular systems...seems like a bit of a step backwards to me, to be quite honest.
    Last edited by Stuka; 01-06-2013 at 10:21.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

What do you think is the best one Andy?
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

No mention about HE-Laserscan/Showeditor?
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

I think the reason Andy didn't include Pangolin is because he's looking for the one to replace his Pangolin gear. I get the impression that he's not wholly convinced by Phoenix, despite his other thread.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

And when the time comes to SELL all that nasty Pangolin stuff.......

There is a PM button. Top of the page. Third from the left. It's "Bradfo69"

Hush Brad!!!!

I'm waiting on a PM from Andy on 3 or more of those shit pogo sticks. LOL.