Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Sale! Upgrade from QS2 to Beyond- Worth it?

Talking Pangolin Sale! Upgrade from QS2 to Beyond- Worth it?

Hello - was hoping to find some info on upgrading from QS to beyond - as it seems to be ridiculously cheap ( + free AKAI APC40...wtf) in the current Pangolin Sale
    Tried to search the forum couldn't find anything too helpful quickly, so I thought I'd ask.
    I'm running DT40 wide scanners on a 5 watt RGB build and was hoping to deal with some of the monsterous flicker I seem to have on Graphics files
    -I should say the unit is predominately for beam shows/effects, it just seems a shame that most graphics seem to die a flickery death when dealing with more complex graph/text files etc
    I realise QS limits scan speed to 30k- is there much of a noticeable difference when running at Beyonds (and my scanners native) 40k speeds. I ask this in terms of graphic applications only. And also I know that the DT40 wides are not particulary suited for graphics either. But any pointers or advice would be immensely appreciated.

What other aspects of the program(beyond) are worth the upgrade price- 3d stuff etc?

Interface looks pretty much exactly the same - I know qs is built on the Beyond engine/platform- so in terms of operational usability I presume it's pretty much the same as QS when you're live in the mix.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Dan

Are these flickery graphics created by yourself or some kind of stock-graphics ?

I am not sure if beyond allows you to scan beyond 30kpps on the FB3 hardware. (Expect no miracles from a 30k to 40k or 50k upgrade, real magic is in point-pullin')

I think the advantage of Beyond is really in the 2d & 3d content-creation (abstract creation is basically the same, but a new oscillator based generator is added)

If you're the playback type-of-guy, I think it's not gonna offer you a lot until the LD2000 => beyond bridge is built!

I'm going to hazard a guess and say you're trying to scan graphics too wide.

Non of the stock graphics are excessively flickery.

As to whether or not Beyond is worth it, just to get 40K speeds I'd say no but as a beam show person, there's a lot more in Beyond that definately is worth the upgrade such as improved DMX support, scripting, Beyond Universe and many other features.

Hello,

I was wondering the same thing.

I have DT40 Pro scanners I am using with QS. What are the major differences between QS vs Beyond?

My understanding is that the version of Beyond in the current deal has all the 'Beyond Ultimate' features. What happens when Beyond 2.0 comes out. Does the version in this deal down grade, resulting in 'Beyond Essentials' or does it retain all features?

Any guidance would be great.

ED

Quote Originally Posted by ekeefe View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering the same thing.

I have DT40 Pro scanners I am using with QS. What are the major differences between QS vs Beyond?

My understanding is that the version of Beyond in the current deal has all the 'Beyond Ultimate' features. What happens when Beyond 2.0 comes out. Does the version in this deal down grade, resulting in 'Beyond Essentials' or does it retain all features?

Any guidance would be great.

ED
    You get to keep Beyond 1.0 in Ultimate form but get Beyond 2.0 in the form that you paid for. ie Into, basic or ultimate.

Hello White-Light,

That's how I thought it would work. Thanks for the confirmation.

ED

No problem - I would double check with Pangolin before any purchase but thats my understanding.

Why not download the Beyond demo......

Oh wait, Pangolin have only promised this way back in 2011. It should be released soon. (Hint hint Bill)

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just my $.02 but, considering just how silly cheap the Christmas special is - along with the free Akai APC40, getting the upgrade from Quickshow to BEYOND is practically a no-brainer. (I did it!) You've got until the 15th from what I understand. Push comes to shove, sell the Akai and you've gotten Beyond for like $300-400. And considering upgrades are free for life, buying the future at that price just makes sense.

Beyond is quite a long way from the early days 'QS with a grey skin' version many of us saw. It will hold quite a lot of interest for the beam show folks, once all of the ideas have been properly galvanised and worked through to see which bits are worthwhile, and how they can extract the very most from the ideas.

It has got to the point where a manual for some of the features is going to be very important, and hopefully this is all in the workup to the 2.0 release.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.