Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pangolin Sale! Upgrade from QS2 to Beyond- Worth it?

I spoke to Justin a few days ago. He said manuals and vids will be out soon. Yup, I got Beyond, too. It's awesome!
    CT Lasers Luminance RGB @ 3.09 watts
    (680mw 640, 960mw 532, 250mw 473, 1200mw 445, DT40W)
    FB3 w/ Beyond
    Second RGB in progress.

(Expect no miracles from a 30k to 40k or 50k upgrade, real magic is in point-pullin')

I have been trying to squeeze the last few percent in performance out of a projector driven by Beyond. Aside form tuning the galvos and so staying within the software the only projector set up parameters that even have a detectable effect are the scan rate and the blanking shift point. Every other slider, adjustment vector this and that do nothing. With already existing frames and graphics are there optimizations that can be applied? What is point-pullin?

I have heard no mention of the live controls for beyond.

Is the midi mapping vastly more flexible than QS and are some of the effects less jumpy when being turned on?
    I am trying to work out if it is worth the upgrade for live shows.

Also thanks so much for the advice- I spent the last day going through tuning guides, editing files, scanning graphics less wide etc and hope to see some improvement gradually as my understanding of the actual physics gets a bit better.

@ -bart- yeah these flickery graphics are images I 'QS Quick Traced'- logos, simple CAD images, 3d wire frame models etc, I'm trying to do some basic object mapping via Quick Trace and it's tricky. Was just hoping there was a better, more efficient way to interpret the graphical data.

Was thinking maybe Beyond may do something like read CAD/3d Files or have a converter for more stable image input without having to go down something like the Lasershow Converter Max routerealizelise it's all about simplified point counts and basic image files and thats fine i just want an easier way of getting the simplified data to the output without having to effectively draw the file by hand if that makes sense.
    Is point pulling what I think it is ie lowering the point count. Is that done by hand. Sounds fairly laborious if it is. Not being lazy(YES I AM)
    Anyway thanks all for your advice as usual you lot are amazing.
    Dan

When it comes to 1 single frame of a logo or other simple clipart, there goes nothing (imho) above old-fashioned handwork, with real-time visual feedback.
    This thread is a good example that complex logos CAN be done if some time and effort is invested.

If handwork is too tedious, I suggest trace-it and then optimizing the output with ildsôs.

With point pulling, I mean placing point outside the trajectory of the beampath to achieve higher detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphry View Post

Is the midi mapping vastly more flexible than QS and are some of the effects less jumpy when being turned on?
    Not sure what you mean "jumpy" as I've never noticed anything that could be interpreted as that unless of course you mean swicthing from 1 graphical cue to another and the tranisiton between the two. If the latter that is influenced by whether or not you have "transition" enabled and which transition you're using. In any case in Beyond, it is possible to adjust the soft start settings which influence the length of fades in / out and also pauses.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    When it comes to 1 single frame of a logo or other simple clipart, there goes nothing (imho) above old-fashioned handwork, with real-time visual feedback.
    This thread is a good example that complex logos CAN be done if some time and effort is invested.

If handwork is too tedious, I suggest trace-it and then optimizing the output with ildsôs.

With point pulling, I mean placing point outside the trajectory of the beampath to achieve higher detail.
    It's not a fast service though nor do I do it for free
    While ILD SOS can suffice, the manual process is unbeatable.
    And it's not that expensive to outsource graphics I dont ask big amounts but I dont list my prices publicly

The range of default live controls for midi control is greater than in QS, and with PangoScript, you can build small scripts to effectively link to anything you want.

In my opinion, it's not quite LivePro yet, but it introduces some new live performance and control concepts that LivePro will never have (such as effects spread/delay over multiple projectors/groups).

The new universe functionality opens up the possibility of creating quite rich controller pages of your own design, so you can dump that to your touch screen and have your own custom interface(s).

However, this is all stuff you will need to build yourself (Pangoscript, Universe), so to make it a great live control tool will need an amount of time investment to get it usable.
    At the moment, I'm 'playing' with it, because the rate of software change is too big (for me to commit), and I don't want to spend a long time building stuff, to find it's obsolete or superceded by a subsequent release. It shows great promise though.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphry View Post

And you can control as much as everything with midi or OSC, even your own scripts
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB