Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Bogs Down

if you could tell me what your punching to make it slow, it would help.
    It is becoming a little more complex. At first we thought that it was the same problem as with the earlier build on the desk top (not a remarkable system 3.2G with 4Gb memory), but now there appears to be a different issue. With Beyond opened and the video card enabled there is approx. 1Gb of ram utilized. We loaded a show (Final Countdown) and the ram use remains essentially unchanged. Then, WHILE THE SHOW PLAYS the ram fills. At the end of the show the ram is at 2.5Gb and if we simply replay this show or load and play a new show the ram continues to fill; it does not rest. It then reaches approx 3Gb and locks up. That's alot of memory for a simple show and that is a strange property to fill ram during playback and not during the load.

Best report to bill if beyond not flushing the ram
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Hi Planters!

This is Alexey from Pangolin. If you use BEYOND build less than 523 then please contact me, or anybody from Pangolin, and we will provide you a link to this build. Also, I will be glad if you can provide your show for testing here. It will help to find the problem, and ensure that BEYOND work correctly. Build 523 has a fix of memory leak, but would be right to double check it.

Best Regards,

Alexey.

Hi Planters,

First let me say that I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having. Regardless of the cause, we'll work with you to figure out what is going on and get it resolved quickly.

It is impossible for us to tell what build of BEYOND you are using. We are up to build 525 right now. There were some people who reported problems with build 509, but we're well past that now.

I appreciate that nobody want's to "bother Pangolin" and will reach out to peers first, just to make sure that a problem isn't caused by something silly. However, my preference would be for people to "bother us" immediately. My own feelings are always that people should contact us at the first sign of trouble -- not the last sign... That way we can develop an understanding of the problem and give quick advice.

Whenever a problem is caused by something that users might deem "silly" or caused by something a user did "wrong", we still believe this is very useful information, and we use this to improve the program and documentation to try to prevent other, newer users from falling into the same trap. Indeed, QuickShow is the result of an observation of what kind of struggles people have as they do laser shows and use software. So I hope nobody ever feels bad, or hesitates to contact us as soon as any problem is noticed.

With this being said, please contact Alexey or I through email and we will make sure you get the latest build in your hands, and also would like to try to reproduce what you are seeing with that show as well.

Best regards,

William Benner

Hi Alexey,

I'm checking Build 523 now. I have 6 shows loaded back to back and I'm monitoring memory usage.

I'll report back when I get through them all.

(Please note posting time irrelevant as I'm posting this 1/2 way through running them).

Bill,

I am impressed with the quick response and on the weekend no less! We are in fact working with build 509 based on the link Arron provided last week. For what it is worth the video projection interface is very promising and primarily not because of the audience scanning capability. We will be demoing this capability in Boston next Saturday and so the rapid fix is appreciated. Driving multiple video projectors will be interesting. Can we get a link to build 525? Can you provide an auto updater or a release list to stay up to the most current version in the future?

Eric

Hi Alexey / Bill / Everyone,

Results in - Build 423 rock steady for me, no signs of a memory leak in this build.

PC Specs: Dell XPS - i5 2440M 2.6ghz, 6GB DDR3, GeForce 550M & Win 7 64 Bit.

CPU Usage: 13% Max. 4-8% typical during test.

Memory Usage: 2.47GB - 2.49GB Rock Steady

Other programmes also in use (affects memory) - Firefox and Bitdefender AV.

Test Duration: 6 shows back to back from the timeline.

Screenshot below - memory line absolutely flat.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by White-Light; 01-19-2013 at 15:50.

OK,

We got the latest build of Beyond from Pangolin and installed it. They just sent the exe. file and after loading it we ran some shows pulled from P. S. Space and IT DIDN'T WORK at first. The problem appears to be with the show's origin. All the Beyond shows run fine with no memory leak into ram while all the Quick Show shows show this leak and the memory accumulates as described above until the computer locks up. I'll copy to them, but I doubt they will be able to fix this before we leave for Boston and so we will just need to wipe the ram after each Q.S.

I REALLY like this new video capability, however and so this should be a lot of fun.

That is strange because ALL the shows I ran back to back were QS shows not Beyond.

I wonder if the leak is related perhaps to the audio therefore and maybe a certain type or format of file?

We are using MP3 files for audio. You?