Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ShowLEM 2013

Default ShowLEM 2013

Hi All

I need to sound out the general feeling towards a 2013 ShowLEM. Unfortuntately, due the hall being extremely busy with regular bookings there is only one weekend available to us in June/July. That is the weekend of Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd June 2013. We can have the hall from 9:00am on the Saturday until 4:00pm on the Sunday (sorry, no Friday this year). We have to be cleared out of the hall by 5:00pm latest on the Sunday as there is a Church group in at 6:00pm (they've kindly agreed to move from the morning to the evening so we can use the hall).

For anyone unfamiliar with the LEM format here in the UK... We Currently hold two LEM's per year in Surfleet, one in or around April and one in or around September. The Surfleet LEM's are the main meetings of UK Laser Enthusiasts. There is much technical stuff going on and lots of coherent photon's flying about the place - great fun!

However, in 2011 we decided to add another LEM to the list with the focus on playing synchronised shows throughout the weekend and dabbling with lasershow software. This was a 'travel light' event as most of the equipment was provided by just a small handful of people. The ShowLEM is an additional event to the main LEM's and isn't ever intended to be a replacement for the Surfleet LEM's. I think those people who attended will testify that it was a completely different format.

As usual, we are allowed to sleep in the hall for 'security purposes'. Just bring a blow up mattress, a sleeping bag, some earplugs and nose clips and you'll be fine

Janet has offered to do the catering again this year for Saturday and Sunday lunch, so look forward to some good food guys, it's a lot of hard work for her and unfortunately I'll have to add a small amount to the cost to cover food again this year, but I'm sure it'll be well worth it. I'm also hopeful that we'll perhaps be able to have a BBQ at my house (on the Sunday evening) depending on weather. This just gives everyone the opportunity to wind down and enjoy a bit of burnt sausage, a non-alcoholic beer and a final chat before driving home. Let's just hope that this summer is better than last years washout.

Due to various reasons we ended up losing money at last years ShowLEM. This was mainly due to the weather being so awful with high winds and many roads flooded. However, thanks to the kindness of those who attended (and a few who couldn't make it) plus a 'top up' from the Surfleet fund I didn't actually lose out financially, as those extra sources made up the shortfall. A special thanks to everyone who helped to top up the funds

The cost of the hall this year is £250 for the weekend, plus food for Sat and Sun (at around £50) makes £300. If we get 20 people attending that's £15 each. I really can't afford to make a loss on this one so we'd have to split the cost up on a per head basis depending on how many turn up, if that's acceptable to those attending.

The hall trustees are holding the hall for us without deposit until next weekend 25th January. Beyond that we have to pay a non-refundable deposit, so i'd like an indication as to whether or not you think we ought to go ahead this year and a committment of attendance. Put a post in this thread if you can support the ShowLEM and i'll add you to the list below. Unfortunately, if we don't get sufficient indication of attendance i'll have to pull the plug as I can't risk being out of pocket, hope you all understand. *** Hall is now booked and the deposit paid, so the ShowLEM is definately going ahead ***

Remember to get your name down on the list ASAP.

Cheers

Jem

ATTENDEES:

Jem (Jem) - Entire Weekend
    Dan (danielbriggs) - Entire weekend
    Steve (Laserhobbitt) - Entire Weekend
    Nigel (Gashead) - Entire Weekend
    Carl (Carl B) - Entire Weekend
    Rob (Yag) - Sunday
    Rob (Stanwax) - Entire Weekend
    Mark (Markmtts) - Entire Weekend
    Kel19700 (???) - Entire Weekend
    James Stewart - Sunday
    Adrian (Dilbert) - Entire weekend?

Location of Hall:
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Gre...d+Kingdom&z=18

Directions:
    Leave M1 at J40 and head towards Wakefield, once off roundabout keep in right hand lane. At the second set of traffic lights turn right onto Queens Drive. Continue on Queens Drive (go straight through traffic lights after approx ½ mile) for ~1 mile until you reach a 'T' junction, turn left. Continue down this road for~¾ mile (be careful, There's a bad bend), After bad bend you'll pass Halfway house pub on right. Continue until see Victoria pub on right (only ~¼ mile further). Primrose hall is on your left opposite Victoria pub. Free parking is available outside venue. It's much easier to find than it sounds!

Accomodation:

Overnight sleeping is allowed in the hall is fine if you can stand it

The Quarry Inn B & B - ~½ mile to venue - Room and breakfast ~£32
    http://www.thequarryinn.co.uk/

Days Hotel Wakefield (J40 - M1) - ~2 miles to venue - Rooms from around £42
    http://www.dayshotel-wakefield.com/

Holiday Inn (J40 - M1) - ~2 miles to venue - Rooms from £
    http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...wy/hoteldetail

Premier Inn (J39 - M1) - ~6 miles to venue - Rooms from £19
    http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/W...outh-m1,-jct39

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 06-03-2013 at 10:14.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem,
    Sounds ace! Thanks for putting the time + effort into organising it.
    As usual I'd be up for going, but I can not confirm 100% yet as I might be away that week. Will let you know in due coure.
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Thanks Dan, you're a star

I'll add you to the list and just confirm as soon as you can.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem,

Count me in! Thanks for organising this again

Cheers

Steve

Great stuff Steve, thanks for your support.

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Same boat as Briggs. But put me down for entire weekend.

I'm happy to pay even if I don't attend, showlem is a different kettle to surfleet but I really enjoy it !

Happy to be on streaming duties this year.. I'll try to sort it in advance as opposed to ad hoc !

Cheers,
    N
    "The horizon leans forward offering you space, to place New steps of change"

That's fantastic Nige. Thanks for your help

Default Network Joke Police

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    I'll try to sort it in advance as opposed to ad hoc !
    Boom boom...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

I think the follow image should be explicative...
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bark...65.74,,0,-4.27
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Hi Steve

Yep, that's the Primrose Hall. Quite an old image though as it's from when the hall was being renovated, probably about three years old I guess.

Cheers

Jem