Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Safetyscan lens holder, anyone developed one yet?

Andy, my hole centers are 76mm apart and roughly 39mm below the beam exit. This is based on the laser entering the lower scanner at 29mm and going up to the Y scanner. Some people may use the DT block without a riser in which case I think beam entry is about 10mm less.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

can you provide a photo of the aperture so i can see whats what?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I can see problems arising here, as people all have different aperture sizes and scanner heights... Mine for example would need to be around 100 CTRs..

That's why I said they'd probably need to be slotted horizontally. So long as the fixing point is below the bottom line of the window, it shouldn't matter too much.

Exit height above baseplate is probably going to be between 27mm and 40mm for the vast majority of people I'd have thought
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    That's why I said they'd probably need to be slotted horizontally. So long as the fixing point is below the bottom line of the window, it shouldn't matter too much.

Exit height above baseplate is probably going to be between 27mm and 40mm for the vast majority of people I'd have thought
    Good point, but I reckon vertical slots are important, these lenses are very fussy about being dead centre... My optical decks are 12mm thick so my plan was a pair of holes drilled and tapped where I can mount either a lens or a hardware mask for overhead work...

The only solution I can think of (and bear with me here, it's hard to explain) is the lens in an adjustable mount and then a rod out either side of the lens mount with case mounts on it. That way you can have vertical slots for each case mount (L&R), and on each side they would slide along the rods for position width wise... Gets a bit complex this way, but truly universal...

I'll do a quick back of fag packet drawing and post it up. I can get horizontal and vertical adjustment ok, that can fit a range of width mounting points, but not sure how you'd introduce the tilt as well. Bear with me....
    Frikkin Lasers

Ok, lets see how this looks....

My idea is a (at least!) 2 part mount.

Part A gets fixed onto the projector first, under the window, using the slot (which seves 2 purposes, left right adjustment and accommodates different mounting point widths) and countersunk screws so they are flush with the surface (very important!)

Part B then screws through the vertical slots into the 2 threaded holes in part A, which gives the vertical adjustment. Slots should be about 75-85mm apart, so they can run up the sides of the cutout for the lens (which is 60mm across).

It doesn't matter if the window is wider than 85mm because you can't scan wider than the lens through it, and it's fixed beneath it, so no issues with material to mount it on. Above the lens you'd get wider scanning if the barcket is flush with the top of the lens.

The only thing I can see is it sits proud of the front of the projector by the thickness of part A, but I expect someone with some vision could find a solution/partial solution for that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safetyscan_mount.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	479.0 KB 
ID:	36704

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	projector_window.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	530.0 KB 
ID:	36705
    Last edited by norty303; 01-28-2013 at 12:22. Reason: added projector photo
    Frikkin Lasers

you have given me another idea to look into
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

P.S. the extra shot was just to give you an idea of lens size and shutter size and fixing points.
    Frikkin Lasers

Hi all.

I may be a bit late jumping into this discussion, but I have a full set of these lenses I'm not currently using... (no lasers on my current tour)

If it'd be helpful (and you promis to be nice to them) I'll post you the full set Andy so you can work with them.
    I'll not need them back till June at the earliest I think.
    I'm also probably in for three or four mounts when they're available, depending on the final price
    PM me your address if you want to borrow the set?
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?