Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Safetyscan lens holder, anyone developed one yet?

you wouldnt use a counter sunk head are its in a v shape. you would use a normal m4 alley key bolt with a flat head

heads are about 5mm with a washer under them

also getting ally at random thicknesses can be a pain
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

How about adding one more plate so you can glue the kinetic mount balls or alignment studs on there so you can snap/unsnap it with precision?

Steve

you wouldnt use a counter sunk head are its in a v shape
    Yep, thats why my cross section showed the slot machined with a V. It doesn't need to be clamped up super tight so you shouldn't have issues with it spreading the slot, and it uses less depth.

Other than the risk of spreading, what are the reasons you wouldn't use a countersunk fixing out of interest? I don't really know the engineering do's and don'ts of various hardware options.

also getting ally at random thicknesses can be a pain
    I thought thats what the mill was for?

I've just thought about this actually, for a twist on the primary fixing method, for a smaller footprint in height on the front of the projector.
    It's 10mm deep, with a 5mm channel to accommodate 'part B' down through the middle of it.

Of course it would be useful to know the min and max hole spacing we'd be dealing with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	altfixing.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	583.0 KB 
ID:	36719
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    How about adding one more plate so you can glue the kinetic mount balls or alignment studs on there so you can snap/unsnap it with precision?

Steve
    im not with you??
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

how do you machine a v slot?

ive never seena v shaped cutter?

as for the rest i dont get ya sorry

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Yep, thats why my cross section showed the slot machined with a V. It doesn't need to be clamped up super tight so you shouldn't have issues with it spreading the slot, and it uses less depth.

Other than the risk of spreading, what are the reasons you wouldn't use a countersunk fixing out of interest? I don't really know the engineering do's and don'ts of various hardware options.

I thought thats what the mill was for?

I've just thought about this actually, for a twist on the primary fixing method, for a smaller footprint in height on the front of the projector.
    It's 10mm deep, with a 5mm channel to accommodate 'part B' down through the middle of it.

Of course it would be useful to know the min and max hole spacing we'd be dealing with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	altfixing.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	583.0 KB 
ID:	36719
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    how do you machine a v slot?

ive never seena v shaped cutter?

http://toolinghouse.com/singleanglef...armilling.aspx

You can get smaller ones, I just don't have time to search... For small stuff, I used to use a spotting drill: http://www.drill-service.co.uk/Produ...000000&Tool=19

For metric threads you want 90 deg CSK....

Mark

not seem them before mark, they arent cheap either.

i dont really see a big issue with using thicker ally and a normal bolt but hey ho
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

What don't you get, the drawing?

Its the main plate at the left (should've been top, but the phone rotated the bugg*r!)
    Then to the right is the part that fits to the projector as you'd view it from the front of the projector, and then a rotated view of that piece so you can see the section.

i dont really see a big issue with using thicker ally and a normal bolt but hey ho
    the issue is that the thicker the initial plate is, the further from the front of the projector the lens will be, and hence the more the scan angle will be limited.
    I think any design should also be purposeful and elegant in it's solution, so hanging something off the front of the projector that looks like a brick isn't going to be so appealing to those people who have spent a fortune making their projectors look awesome.

Given that the 'right' design could end up with quite a lot of interest (in the absence of any other options), and hence sales, I just thought it might be good to work through each aspect.
    I'm thinking of this as a brainstorming stage, weighing up options/solutions on their merits. I'm not thinking 'Does Andy have the right tooling', although you are obviously aware of what you have/haven't got.

I had to email Pangolin about something else the other night, and I asked if they had anything they could add (assuming they're not going to bring their own to market) as I'm aware they've already gone through quite a lot of thinking around the engineering.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I'm sure Pangolin already have a solution Norty, maybe just not market ready.

If you watch Bill Benners video I posted a while ago on the safety lens shot as LSDI with a Kvant, then Bill had a fully adjustable mount on the front of the projector. I'm assuming here it was a Pangolin solution and not a Kvant mount, but I can hardly see Pangolin buying a Kvant mount when they're developing their own.

This does exactly as I said, mount it on a bar and you can mount it on any projector and tilt it... Simples