Thread: Common diodes - maximum forward voltage?

Question Common diodes - maximum forward voltage?

Hey everyone;

Real quick, I need some data points for a project I'm working on. I'll explain later. I need the absolute maximum forward voltage drop one would ever expect to see when powering the following diodes at maximum current:

9 mm can 445 nm blue:

5.6 mm can 637 nm red (P-71's):

I *think* the 9mm 445 blue has a maximum forward voltage of as much as 5.7 volts, but I need to be sure.

As for the 637 nm reds, I think they're around 3.6 volts.

Can anyone confirm these numbers?

THANKS!

Adam

PS: I'm talking absolute maximum here. As in, you're being stupid and pushing 3 amps through that 9 mm 445... Not saying that the diode will last long at that point; I just need to know the max possible forward voltage under extreme conditions.

You're in the right ballpark.

Expect some 100mv voltage drop over driver- and supplyleads under extreme conditions.

Don't forget voltagedrop across sense resistor

Always assume the worstcase dropout voltage when picking power transistors.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the validation, Bart. I was reasonably certain we had accounted for everything, but I wanted a last "sanity check" before I make it official.

Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    You're in the right ballpark.

Expect some 100mv voltage drop over driver- and supplyleads under extreme conditions.

Don't forget voltagedrop across sense resistor

Always assume the worstcase dropout voltage when picking power transistors.

Adam,
    Just an "FYI" the new green direction injection 520nm diodes, (50mW and 170mW), have a working forward Vf of 7.5V with a max of 8.0V run within spec.

However I'm not sure if that is of relevance to whatever "sekret pro(d)jectz" you are working on.

Cheers,
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

520nm 170mW?????
    Tell me more pls.

Cheers

Daniel;

Those new greens won't have the current draw though, so it should be fine. My main concern is someone trying to over-drive a 445 nm blue diode (or worse, a pair in parallel). Need to be sure I left enough headroom in the design...

It's not really a secret. I'm reviving the ancient diode driver project that Bill Benner developed over 4 years ago. But it had to be updated to reflect modern diodes. Just double-checking the math (which is a bit pointless now, since parts have already been ordered)...

Tell you all about it in Utila! (Might even have a sample to play with by then...)

Adam