Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Some Machining Shizzle

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    lol

na it will be fine, its just a one off I don't plan to make anymore.

you would have to be the biggest c u next Tuesday to think its a real iphone
    Here's a thought to make your blood run cold for long enough to seriously think about pulling that listing to protect yourself. It's not the stupid c u next tuesday you need to worry about, it's the real c u next tuesday who is smart, realises that to do what you did you need to have some serious resources, that you're good for at least several grand, and to make you the victim while they grab as much of that as they can get. All they have to do is claim they really were that stupid, the expense of disproving that in a court would break you on its own because it would need expert medical witnesses and the only way you could avoid the expense is if you win, and you wouldn't because the allusion to Apple's copyright is so obvious. While a one-off like this isn't likely to fall foul of trade mark law because it's not a working phone, it can be claimed as copyright infringement, and the higher the bidding goes, the bigger the stakes, maybe big enough for Apple to care, and they are ruthless about this on any scale. You'll feel better if you pulled it now, without ever knowing how high it might have got, than you'll feel becoming a celebrity bearing an expense you had no way to imagine before the fact. People have often played games with this kind of thing, and I don't think I can remember one winning. Even if you changed the listing text carefully to state that it is a model of an iPhone, just mentioning the name 'iPhone' in the context of selling something clearly using the details of the Apple logo and the iPhone layout is risky.

Now you can ignore every word I just said and think me all kinds of fool, but ask yourself one question (no, not that one..., I'll leave that one with Dirty Harry) Can anyone else do this, and as the answer is surely 'yes', why are they not doing it, and is there a good reason not to that they know and you don't?

If that still means nothing to you, then at least tell yourself I'm only saying this for my own pathetic amusement if you can convince yourself that this really is the only reason I'd go to the trouble. If you still believe it's a good plan after doing that, you'll not be convinced by anything I say so either way I don't need to say any more. It's a nice bit of machining, so it's not like you have no safer and better ways to profit from the ability.

Far to long for me to read.

PL Members doing their normal thing and going way over the top.

I now remember why I hate posting things these days
    Last edited by andy_con; 02-09-2014 at 06:16.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

You took the tiime to copy Apple's design at length and program it into a CNC mill, yet you cannot bear to read a few posts warning against the risk of trying to sell the result? So what will you do now? Take the risk anyway because you're too proud to listen to anyone? I came close to not posting. Close to deleting it three times while I wrote it. FAR longer to write than for you to read. Each time I nearly deleted it was because I felt 'why the fuck should I care? Let him sink or swim without any effort from me.' The reality is that a few times you have pissed me off, but I don't want to see you come to harm without some effort to prevent it. And it's not just me. Going to ignore everyone who warns against this move of yours?

Normal know it all's doing their normal thing, laying down the law

Look above problem solved, now we can all move on with our lives. I won't be talking about it anymore
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Sure. I'm not offended by your view of me, I didn't expect anything else. Actually that's what made it easier to get through to you, not caring about the reaction. Even if I really did lay down any law, it wouldn't have cost you.
    Moving on...

not put anything in this thread for a while

made a water cooled base plate recently, just waiting on the other plug

today I also got a digital probe setup on my machine, should make things very accurate

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Nice work, as always, Andy! Great way to TEC cool stuff and be silent too.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

got it down to 13 degrees today, chilly!

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Lovely Job Andy. I'd even go so far as to say it's really cool
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Take one bit of ally and cut it in three

Drill and tap a few holes

Screw one plate to another as a jig and machine

And you end up with some mirror mounts. Just need to do the mounting hole. They are 25mm by 25mm

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat