Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hazer Recommendation?

Default Hazer Recommendation?

I've been using water-based 'fazers' for 15+ years in my home-based environment. Now I'm looking for a more even distribution with longer hang times, so I think its time to move to a true oil-based hazer. I've read the discussions on this topic here over the years, but my requirements are slightly different than most folks, so I thought I'd ask.

What I need is something that's got low power requirement (around 1200W or less), a relatively small footprint, and a fluid recommendation that is exceptionally 'dry'. Like most homes, I have drywall and I don't want to get an oil build-up over the years. A remote control is desired and DMX control would be nice.

Does anyone have a suggestion that meets these requirements? Is there something else I should know?

Many thanks!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I have just ordered a Look Solutions Unique 2.1 hazer.

I'll let you know how it is when it arrives - I hear good things though.

Cheers
    Rich

unique is usually recommended.. however I recommend smoke factory tour hazer 2.. has a huge tank and is very sparing with the fuel.
    You do pay more for the tour hazer 2. Another benefit is that the unit is build into its own flightcase.
    Last edited by masterpj; 12-05-2015 at 12:00.

If you want to go oil based for the reasons you state (longer hang time, even distribution), then the Antari HZ 350 is probably the least expensive oil based hazer that is of good quality.
    I use a DF50 which is one of the standards in oil hazers, but at $3000 it aint cheap! The Antari line of oil based hazers is a very good alternative and you can usually find one for less than $1000. They don't draw a lot of power (just a small air compressor), and the haze fluid lasts a long time which is another nice bonus with oil haze.
    I have used the Unique hazers and sorry to say I am not impressed. They use a LOT of fluid and the haze does not hang in the air for very long. I like the Base Hazer Pro by HazeBase for water base hazers, they work great and have a very wide range of output.
    My favorites are the DF50 and any MDG haze/fog machine, they are the cadillac of atmosphere creation, but again you pay more for the best quality. MDG produces the driest haze out of any manufacturer, they can produce the finest particles that leave very little residue. The DF50/HZ350 oil machines do leave more residue than the MDG but a lot less than water based.
    Atari has really stepped up their game and have been a very good alternative to the pricier high end units so I would recommend you check them out.
    Last edited by luxilid; 12-05-2015 at 11:54.

Thanks for the responses, guys - especially Luxilid's focus on the specifics of what I am hoping to achieve.

I've used fog based fazers for about 13 years in its current room and I haven't noticed any residue on the walls. I do vacuum the walls about once every three years, so if its dry residue, it either comes off or isn't that bad to being with. I do notice the build-up on glass table-tops though. (Those get cleaned more than once every three years )

If oil based haze is less of a pain than water based fog/haze, I should be good, but the price tag of even the relatively cheap HZ 350 is higher than I had hoped for at US$975. I guess I'll keep my eyes open on flea-Bay for a used one.

Again thanks for the guidance!

-David

Check out gearsource for second hand MDG units.
    MDG just released the new updated version of their range and a few of the larger hire companies are dumping their old units for the newer version...
    They'll still be around $1500 second hand I'd guess, but thats 1/3 of the new price for one hell of a machine!
    (Only the Concept Systems Phantom is better in my opinion)
    Great machines but you'll need a small bottle of co2 or n2 to run them as they don't use a compressor to stay silent... My biggest complaint about the df50 is the racket the compressor makes when it's running!

Just for clarification, the hazebase, the unique and tour hazer are pretty much the same machine in different boxes.
    I prefer the tour hazer out of the three due to the fact it comes built in to a rugged flightcase. All 3 produce reasonable haze, but hang time sucks compared to the Phantom.
    At UKLEM, when I brought the phantom, 30 minutes of light haze would hang pretty much all day with just a quick top up every few hours or so... and unlike the others, the haze is pretty much invisible without focused beams on it
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

I bought a phantom about 3 years ago and while I've only run it about 80hrs I've only used a bit over one litre of fluid!
    When I first got it and was filling a big venue I went through 3kg of CO2 in 10hrs which was way too much. I used a small fan to throw the haze far to the back corners of the building. I bought mine without the built in fan to save money. I'd probably do the same again although it would make it a little more convenient and compact with the the inbuilt fan. Just have easy access to the switch for the fan. I found it's definitely a mistake to leave the fan running. Use the fan to get the haze out and then back it off Now that I've used it a few more times I use a lot let CO2. I bought two repurposed 2kg CO2 fire extinguisher cylinders and get them fill for about $20AUD each. Quiet possibly cheaper in your part of the world.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's thought on using fans inside with these types of hazer like the phantom or MDG for how to get optimal hang time so you run the hazer less and use less CO2. I've tended to be a bit heavy handed and I think it's possibly from creating turbulence by having the fan in front of the hazer running too much.

I'd thoroughly recomend a phantom. Very reliable, self cleaning, no residue (they use them for movies in heritage listed buildings). Mine is the small one and the name plate shows 230V-5A 1150W.

Good luck.
    Kit
    Last edited by kitatit; 12-05-2015 at 17:09. Reason: Typo

MDG or as Kit said Phantom.

The cheap oil crackers and a lot of water based hazers such as the unique 2 have a real problem with the haze reliquefying inside gear, which is unacceptable in my opinion..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I was going to jump in earlier today but, I've been slammed at work. I wanted to offer suggestions that met your parameters. Small footprint, dmx, under 1200 watts, etc. Several units started to come to mind but then they missed the mark on one thing or another. I've not been to the home disco yet but, I've seen pictures and saw the dimensions. I don't think you need something as beefy at the tour hazer in a flight case. The Look Solutions is pretty small and I think the wattage must be lower than 1200. A hazer, remember, doesn't have a heater so they should naturally draw less power. I'm a fan of the DF-50 and that would be more than adequate but, it's pricey. You can find them used though for $1000-$1500. Some have DMX, some do not but, Ed Keefe made me a DMX control box for mine. I like the idea of the Antari HZ-350 mentioned above though for your purposes.
    I thought about the American DJ hazer but, no DMX and not that small of a footprint but... cheap. Hazers in general, you're going to find are more than any of the foggers/fazers but, they're worth it. Just like printers though, I also look at the cost of consumables versus the cost of the unit itself. I think in all the years I've used them (the two DF-50's), and used them regularly, I've only just opened the second $25 bottle of fluid.

The MDG and Phantom's as mentioned above, are the Cadillac's of the hazer world and even I haven't been able to afford one yet. Someday though!
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I've not been to the home disco yet but, I've seen pictures and saw the dimensions. I don't think you need something as beefy at the tour hazer in a flight case.
    Yeah, I just need something that will sit in a small corner and never move. Since the room is small, I think even the lowest levels of output will do.

Kit: I was surprised when you mentioned the potential for external CO2. I'm not willing to deal with the hassle, so I'll be sure to watch and avoid anything that would require external tanks. I just need something that can "go" with minimal effort after sitting idle for potentially months at a time.

I started to review the Look Solutions Unique 2.1 and it "Looks" good so far with DMX, internal timers with wait times in minutes, 0-100% pump/fan output, not made in China, etc. At roughly US$1,135, the price isn't terrible, but I'll check out used dealers like GearSource to see if I can find a deal on a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    The MDG and Phantom's as mentioned above, are the Cadillac's of the hazer world and even I haven't been able to afford one yet.
    He-hee. If you can't afford/justify it, Brad, then I sure as hell can't!

Thanks again to everyone for the valuable input.

-David