Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DAC HELP!

Blah Blah Blah.....

The drivers are fine as long as you get the most up-to-date ones that are available.

In and of themselves, there is nothing wrong with sound card DACs.

One of the nicest things about the idea is that it is generic! If you don't like the performance of one particular sound device, get another one. There are many to chose from.

If your software doesn't work well with them, then you should fix your software.

You can say whatever you want about sound card DACs but there is one reality. Their existence has set a very low price point for laser control DACs in general.

Anyone who develops a new laser DAC and does any amount of market research will soon find out that they need to price their DAC to be competitive with the sound card DAC idea in both price and performance. 8 channels of 16 bit DAC at 48K (at least) is pretty hard to beat.

So does Spaghetti still support the sound card DAC? It did! If it doesn't anymore that was YOUR choice!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Blah Blah Blah.....

The drivers are fine as long as you get the most up-to-date ones that are available.

In and of themselves, there is nothing wrong with sound card DACs.

One of the nicest things about the idea is that it is generic! If you don't like the performance of one particular sound device, get another one. There are many to chose from.

If your software doesn't work well with them, then you should fix your software.

You can say whatever you want about sound card DACs but there is one reality. Their existence has set a very low price point for laser control DACs in general.

Anyone who develops a new laser DAC and does any amount of market research will soon find out that they need to price their DAC to be competitive with the sound card DAC idea in both price and performance. 8 channels of 16 bit DAC at 48K (at least) is pretty hard to beat.

So does Spaghetti still support the sound card DAC? It did! If it doesn't anymore that was YOUR choice!

James.

Yes, Spaghetti has a sound card DAC driver built in. I have tested it and I know it works. Maybe you should add sound card DAC support to your software.

I don't need to!

Every modern OS currently in use has many wave playing apps!

That's the whole point!

So your answer to the OP is that The LaserBoy DAC is the least expensive DAC that is absolutely known to work with Spaghetti.

So that's that.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I don't need to!

Every modern OS currently in use has many wave playing apps!

That's the whole point!

So your answer to the OP is that The LaserBoy DAC is the least expensive DAC that is absolutely known to work with Spaghetti.

So that's that.

James.
    Congratulations. You managed to ignore every relevant point of this discussion.

No. I managed to ignore you pointless and unfounded comments and give the OP his answer!

Have a nice day. I know will!

James.
    Last edited by james; 02-17-2013 at 12:16.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

No. I managed to ignore you pointless and unfounded comments and give the OP his answer!

Have a nice day. I know will!

James.
    I am basing my comments upon years of supporting hundreds of Spaghetti customers. What are you basing yours on?

I base everything I've said on years of developing, building and using sound card DACs! I've sent DACs I built myself to people on every continent on Planet Earth except for Antarctica! And hundreds of other people have built their own according to my specs!

I totally understand it's not your thing. How many sound card DACs have you built or worked with?

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

There are only 6 continents when you exclude Antartica. I have more toes than that.

Too bad you don't have more good ideas.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Too bad you don't have more good ideas.
    Ignoring you is a good idea. I will do that now.