Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DAC HELP!

If you want plug and play functionality, go with one of the DACs that Gary recommended. Sound cards need modding. Granted, only about 9 solder points, but you will also need a correction amp which can be bought or built. Then once all is built and modded, you will need a meter to calibrate all the outputs. Again, if you like building things, maybe a sound card is up your alley. You will only save a little bit of money. A sound card is not hassle-free though. I would honestly recommend a prebuilt USB DAC. I went from a modded sound card to Pangolin... pretty much like Gary said.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 02-18-2013 at 14:41. Reason: spelling
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

good points, although i prefer an ethernet connected dac as it's a lot easier to run long cat5 than long db25.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    If you want plug and play functionality, go with one of the DACs that Gary recommended. Sound cards need modding. Granted, only about 9 solder points, but you will also need a correction amp which can be bought or built. Then once all it built and modded, you will need a meter to calibrate all the outputs. Again, if you like building things, maybe a sound card is up your alley. You will only save a little bit of money. A sound card is not hassle-free though. I would honestly recommend a prebuilt USB DAC. I went from a modded sound card to Pangolin... pretty much like Gary said.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    good points, although i prefer an ethernet connected dac as it's a lot easier to run long cat5 than long db25.
    Well said! If the price point is the same, Swami's recommendation is spot-on.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

i don't know if spaghetti supports the EtherDream, but it's a very capable and reasonably priced network connected DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Well said! If the price point is the same, Swami's recommendation is spot-on.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Mixedgas thanks John Yayas for this most useful post:

Quote: "Sound cards have caused the most problems and questions, only second to iShow on 64 bit windows" End Quote.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

i don't know if spaghetti supports the EtherDream, but it's a very capable and reasonably priced network connected DAC.
    AFAIK there's no direct support, but the Etherdream should work with the EzAudDac.dll file, which is supported by Spaghetti.

Oh! The irony.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

that would be a worthy experiment. i *very* much like the idea of a single app not being bound to a single DAC. there are already too many proprietary standards in the laser world and that leads to the market being fractured and stagnant.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    AFAIK there's no direct support, but the Etherdream should work with the EzAudDac.dll file, which is supported by Spaghetti.

that would be a worthy experiment. i *very* much like the idea of a single app not being bound to a single DAC. there are already too many proprietary standards in the laser world and that leads to the market being fractured and stagnant.
    Spaghetti is certainly not bound to a single DAC and I'll add support for any DAC that has an API available and I have a way to test it. I don't know much about the Etherdream DAC, though. I'm currently rewriting the entire Spaghetti application from the ground up. I am nearing completion of the rewrite and then plan to add a lot of new features and support for other hardware. Maybe I can add Etherdream support if the API is open.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S