Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DAC HELP!

Default DAC HELP!

Hey everybody! I got a 64 bit Windows 7 laptop, does anybody have a clue as to where I can get a DAC, just a DAC, that will work my spaghetti software that won't cost me and arm and a leg?? I've googled and all the prices are insane.
    If anybody could help me that'd be greatly appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by michaell69 View Post
    Hey everybody! I got a 64 bit Windows 7 laptop, does anybody have a clue as to where I can get a DAC, just a DAC, that will work my spaghetti software that won't cost me and arm and a leg?? I've googled and all the prices are insane.
    If anybody could help me that'd be greatly appreciated!!!
    Look into this:
    http://www.fab-favreau.com/index.php...enLaserShowDAC

Try building your own from a $20 8 channel sound card!

Google LaserBoy DAC!

Then Google USB-SND8

Then read this whole thread:
    http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=277.0

James.
    Last edited by james; 02-15-2013 at 19:22.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Try building your own from a $20 8 channel sound card!

Google LaserBoy DAC!

Then Google USB-SND8

Then read this whole thread:
    http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=277.0

James.
    I stay away from recommending sound card DACs because they can be a big headache. They do work well when they work, though. But, you can't build one for $20. You can buy an Arduino DAC or RIYA lite for around the same price as what you would put into a sound card DAC. So, why go through the hassle? Just my opinion.

I never said it was $20 for the whole DAC. I said the sound card was $20. If you watch eBay, you can find them for as little as $14 with shipping included. The additional electronic parts can be had for about $30 to $40.

The best thing about it is that it is a generic sound card! It requires no proprietary applications to make it work. It works in every OS. And since it has 8 channels, it is possible to use the last 2 channels for stereo audio tracks.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I think the worst think about it is that it is a generic sound card. You plug it in and Windows treats it as a sound card. It plays sounds to your laser projector. Sometimes you get channel X going to your red laser or your green laser going to your Y axis. And that's not even the worst of it. You keep hyping these cheap C-Media $20 sounds cards as the best thing ever but they are actually the worst to deal with. A more expensive sound card might actually be trouble free but there has been no discussion about using a quality sound card because once you pay for one of those you might as well have just spent the money on a proper ILDA DAC.

If you want to play back ADAT wave files or want to experiment with oscillator based laser control then the sound card definitely has it's place. But, Michael was asking about what works with Spaghetti, not with some generic OS. Sound cards have caused the most problems and questions, only second to iShow on 64 bit windows. People have moved to Pangolin because they couldn't get their sound card DAC to work correctly. I only recommend DACs that I know that will work when you plug them in. The sound card DAC is not one of them.

What a bitter person you are!

I've never had any of those problems and I've used several different sound cards; PCI and USB. PCI cards cost even less than the USB ones. I've seen good ones for as little as $8! It's all a matter of knowing how to use it.

I've been doing it for over 8 years now. Sound cards are all I have ever used and all I will ever use.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

What a bitter person you are!

I've never had any of those problems and I've used several different sound cards; PCI and USB. PCI cards cost even less than the USB ones. I've seen good ones for as little as $8! It's all a matter of knowing how to use it.

I've been doing it for over 8 years now. Sound cards are all I have ever used and all I will ever use.

James.
    The problems I mentioned are well documented on various message boards including the LaserBoy forum. So, you can't plead ignorance to the fact that their are problems associated with them.

All those problems are issues of not understanding how to use it!

For that matter, it's really a good thing that they are so well documented.

All it takes is a little research and personal experience.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

All those problems are issues of not understanding how to use it!

For that matter, it's really a good thing that they are so well documented.

All it takes is a little research and personal experience.

James.
    1) They are not just a matter of understanding. Some sound card drivers do not work right. And, the ones that come with those sound cards may or may not come with drivers that work with your current or future OS. So, regardless of how well you understand what is going on, the drivers you have may not work for you.

2) The problems are well documented. The solutions are NOT so well documented. And in many cases, not documented at all.

3) No one wants to research this stuff. No one wants "personal experience" with it. They want to plug it in and have it reliably work on their computer. And, if they take it over to a friends house, they expect it to work on their computer as well without having their friend "personally experience" it.

Look. You don't know anything about Spaghetti and this is a thread about which DACs work with Spaghetti. So, why are you even here? And why are you moronically arguing with me, of all people, about what works well with Spaghetti?
    Last edited by JohnYayas; 02-17-2013 at 08:31. Reason: Typo.