Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Analog Galvo Driver

Glad that you are interested! The synths are a bit limited so there is a lot of lissajaus-patterns and som sin/cosine mixing and balanced modulators doing their thing. Synth-modules lack the precision of dedicated circuits so it sometimes looks very "vintage"

This is from a thing at the museum of modern art this summer, it is in a bucky dome, you can see the pattern of some sections in the background.
    The audio of the performance was split into bands, envelopes extracted and used for different modulations.

it is combined with this little lumia projector, it has a Flexmod P3 hooked up to a couple of banana jacks so I can blank it in sync with the synth-graphics

Here is a video of a soundcontrolled spinning pentagram:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxaEMhjPv70

Here are some of the synths, you can just make out the star on the oscilloscope screen:

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

very cool! thanks for sharing.

i've been trying to recreate the old analoge look in some of my newer shows. here's a little snip from a work in progress,

Quote Originally Posted by dar303 View Post
    Glad that you are interested! The synths are a bit limited so there is a lot of lissajaus-patterns and som sin/cosine mixing and balanced modulators doing their thing. Synth-modules lack the precision of dedicated circuits so it sometimes looks very "vintage"

This is from a thing at the museum of modern art this summer, it is in a bucky dome, you can see the pattern of some sections in the background.
    The audio of the performance was split into bands, envelopes extracted and used for different modulations.

it is combined with this little lumia projector, it has a Flexmod P3 hooked up to a couple of banana jacks so I can blank it in sync with the synth-graphics

Here is a video of a soundcontrolled spinning pentagram:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxaEMhjPv70

Here are some of the synths, you can just make out the star on the oscilloscope screen:
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Very nice, what program do you use to generate it?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i use LSX for all my shows.

https://www.youtube.com/user/swamidog

Very nice, what program do you use to generate it?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    Here is a pic of my first console built in the mid eighties a time of analog magic and miracles in this game, if you had the money to buy the lasers needed to blow eyeballs away with stunning abstracts.

I dont know how I afforded this back then I was poor as a church mouse but as the song lyric goes You can always get what you want but if you try sometime you just might find you get what you need.

This was designed by myself and an electrical engineer friend I built it and hand wired each board.

I plugged the power supply in a couple of weekends ago and fortunately I had the fore site not to plug it into the console it smoked instantly I guess the caps dried out I need to get a new supply and hook it up. I was thinking for mixing it with the output of the LSX to do a hybrid analog digital abstract generator.
    This looks a bit like the internals of my old system. Recapping it may be something you can pull off, if you can solder. The hardest part will be reading the values off the smoked caps. I'm and sketching out a design for a new-old-vintage console. I'm tempted to add rotation, this time. We shall see.

I have som schematics for a hybrid scan rotator that uses multiplying DAC's, that could either be done in a PIC or AVR or you could get some of those chips on ebay. Just that little problem that there is only 24 hours in a day...

I have som schematics for a hybrid scan rotator that uses multiplying DAC's, that could either be done in a PIC or AVR or you could get some of those chips on ebay. Just that little problem that there is only 24 hours in a day...
    I welcome a peek at your schematics. There are several questions I need to answer.

I found out where i got it, it was the generous Mr. Mixedgas in this thread:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...g-scan-rotator

I did some thread digging and found this interesting thread about the LSDI Universal Geometric Corrector, there are some nice functions to incorporate in future synth/laser interfaces and output units.
    I was given a few laser related things from a cruise ship and one of the scanner amps I got has one of these cards attached, I'm contemplating ripping it out and breaking the trimmers out to fullsized pots for my modular.
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...rector-aka-UGC
    Last edited by dar303; 02-23-2013 at 12:07.

nice! I'm not even sure what I know what those all those pots do.

@ mixedgas

I have been researching the Burr Brown 4423 this past weekend and I have a few questions for you.

1. When you make a VCO I understand that the frequency of both the sin and cos change when the voltage is varied, however wouldn't this still produce a circle since the frequencies are 1:1. Please help me understand better how a VCO is used to have the sin and cos waves at different frequencies to make something other than a circle.

2. When making an analog console using Burr Brown 4423 type theory. I have noticed that many people say to have 3 or 4 linked together to get the best effects. Is this achieved by having 4 VCO circuits in parallel and then using a summing amplifier just before the Galvo Amps to combine the waves. Or are the VCO literally daisy changed together somehow.

3. I would also possibly be interested in your designs that require a NDA. My question on this is can I still have a board house make your circuit for me so I can use SMT as long as I don't provide the schematic to the board house, sell the boards to anyone, and not put any type of the description on the board as to what is does? OR would your NDA mean that I would need to make your design with TH and hand wire the components.