Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is good lasershow music?

Default What is good lasershow music?

Hi you all!

Don't know if there's a thread like this (if so let me know I will delete this).

But I was interested in what do you find good lasershow music? Or on what music you like to see a show? Does it has to be instrumental, commercial, not commercial or a specific genre. Just interest in your taste and why you like that so much.

I like to do some experiments. Like this show I made:

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Well, you're certainly on the right track! Nice tune and nice interpretation with the show. (I'd love a copy! As I don't see myself getting to the Netherlands to see it in person. )

I'm going to resist the temptation to type the word "DUBSTEP" just to get it out of the way, as I'm sure some smartass will do that a little further along.

But anyway, it has been mentioned in a thread before but, I don't think it's wrong to open the discussion again. I think the main, number one, overriding consideration is... it should be whatever you enjoy. Who cares if another laserist doesn't care for it. It's a hobby, it's art and, it's a HELL of a lot of money we invest so, you should play and create what you enjoy. That being said, I've read and agree that instrumental selections or ones with more melodic singing tend to lend themselves better to shows. Radio top 40 isn't probably the best choice to try and create laser shows to.

I have yet to actually try and make a show. I just simply am not that good with software in general. Not that I can't learn it... it's just more of a time thing. I open a program like LSX for example and within seconds the eyes start to glaze over. I thought I wanted to try and learn a computer language once and by about page 2 of the book I had the same feeling. I know I'd need to use a BIG monitor because there is so much packed onto the screen, it's hard for me to see and, to remember what it all does. LivePro on a 12.7" laptop screen is damn near impossible.

BUT! I can be driving in the car and listening to a piece of music and "see" in my mind what I'd like the laser show to look like. I can "see" other lighting effects and where I'd like them to come into play. A flash here, a strobe effect there. I can figure out how to set a room up and convey my minds image to an audience with a lot of the stuff I have. I manage lots of events such as weddings and the organization and execution is what I think I excel in. "The production." So, if I ever figure out how to use the software, I'd like to think I could do some cool shows. Most of that music tends to be instrumental and more "new age" stuff. It's not my listening preference of choice... that's actually rock but, from a laser show standpoint, interesting eclectic stuff does it for me.

One of the things I find frustrating with a lot of shows that are available to us out there IS the limited appeal. A lot of the Pangolin stuff, while very good, really is only interesting to US. And even then, how many times can you watch "Above" or "Standing In Motion" or "5FM" before it's kinda boring. If you're playing shows for the public, I think it's sort of got to be something that's going to be interesting for them. I tend to have people that are looking for more current stuff which is why I just bought Fiesta because Showtacle tends to pump out shows at a fast rate of current dance music. Wheras the Pangolin stuff being produced by users tends to be more random and obscure in nature.

Just my $.03 (Hey.. I ramble.)

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i like music with lots of tempo changes and events to sync interesting effects to. no dubstep!

here are some of my shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVSs..._gyfQM0q6fEdle

Quote Originally Posted by Rizard View Post
    Hi you all!

Don't know if there's a thread like this (if so let me know I will delete this).

But I was interested in what do you find good lasershow music? Or on what music you like to see a show? Does it has to be instrumental, commercial, not commercial or a specific genre. Just interest in your taste and why you like that so much.

I like to do some experiments. Like this show I made:
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Well, you're certainly on the right track! Nice tune and nice interpretation with the show. (I'd love a copy! As I don't see myself getting to the Netherlands to see it in person. )
    It sure was a nice show! We played it three times or so :P
    The music isn't what I would use for a lasershow, it's a bit too slow for me to make it interesting all the way through the end, so I admire the end result as I certainly couldn't have done it myself!

I have yet to actually try and make a show. I just simply am not that good with software in general. Not that I can't learn it... it's just more of a time thing. I open a program like LSX for example and within seconds the eyes start to glaze over. I thought I wanted to try and learn a computer language once and by about page 2 of the book I had the same feeling. I know I'd need to use a BIG monitor because there is so much packed onto the screen, it's hard for me to see and, to remember what it all does. LivePro on a 12.7" laptop screen is damn near impossible.

BUT! I can be driving in the car and listening to a piece of music and "see" in my mind what I'd like the laser show to look like. I can "see" other lighting effects and where I'd like them to come into play. A flash here, a strobe effect there. I can figure out how to set a room up and convey my minds image to an audience with a lot of the stuff I have. I manage lots of events such as weddings and the organization and execution is what I think I excel in. "The production." So, if I ever figure out how to use the software, I'd like to think I could do some cool shows. Most of that music tends to be instrumental and more "new age" stuff. It's not my listening preference of choice... that's actually rock but, from a laser show standpoint, interesting eclectic stuff does it for me.
    Same here actually... I found out that the key thing is to just write down your ideas, make a sketch of the show on a piece of paper when you get inspiration (usually when your mind doesn't have much else to focus on, like in the shower, on the toilet, when driving, when trying to sleep etc.), then when you try to create a show you have something to hang on to. It will help you to keep on going, even when the inspiration dries out. I have lots of shows that I never made a sketch for that I didn't finish just because I got bored with it and didn't like the first part anymore. One day I'll finish something decent... :P

For me it can be any kind of music. Last friday I was on a blues-rock concert and I imagined the Most Epic Lasershow Ever, but dubstep (:P) can do it as well for me. As long as there are interesting features in the music. I agree with Bradfo69 again, most radio music is just someone singing over a standard beat with not much variation.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Same here actually... I found out that the key thing is to just write down your ideas, make a sketch of the show on a piece of paper when you get inspiration (usually when your mind doesn't have much else to focus on, like in the shower, on the toilet, when driving, when trying to sleep etc.), then when you try to create a show you have something to hang on to. It will help you to keep on going, even when the inspiration dries out. I have lots of shows that I never made a sketch for that I didn't finish just because I got bored with it and didn't like the first part anymore. One day I'll finish something decent... :P
    That was actually just suggested to me not long ago by ImageLight so, I'm starting to do a couple basic sketches of some ideas and create sort of a time line for a couple songs. He may help me with changing it to reality.

I comissioned a show a while back from allthatwhichis to "Toccatta" by Mannheim Steamroller and while I appreciate it, and I'm glad he did it, it doesn't match what I had in my mind at all. I kind of want to revisit that and try to make my vision a reality. It would need to mix Mobolazer beam tables along with RGB's and some other effects so, I have to figure out how to create DMX cues as well. Don't look for it any time soon though.....

First, really nice show, Rizard! If you are willing to share for non-commercial purposes, I'd be happy to get a copy.

This is a fun topic and Brad, Swami and CMB covered most of my views on this topic. I would emphasize a couple points, though. If you want your time investment to pay off in the long term, you probably want to choose music that is fairly timeless so that you (and others) can still enjoy your efforts a decade or more from now. As Brad pointed out, (current) top 40 should be left out unless you are REALLY good at determining what will still be loved many years in the future. You can go safe with old pop/rock/classical/new age music that people are still happy to hear and meets Swamidog's selection criteria - or choose something that is really eclectic that hardly anyone knows about. Alternatively, you can choose something that's really hot today to make your audience happy now and understand that it will become dated quickly.

Something else to consider - the mix of music. Trying to satisfy a diverse crowd like Brad does must be challenging. Few (non-laser) people are happy to watch show after show of the same type of stuff without getting bored. In fact, even really good varied laser stuff can get old without supplemental light-shows and / or video. (Caveat if your audience is drunk and/or high. I would think it wise to develop a mix of musical selections and tempos to let all of your audience in on the fun. Even popular bands have their slower songs, they just know how to work the fast and slow ones in together to give their audiences a break occasionally, eventually building to their faster / most popular tunes to close-out the night.

I can be driving in the car and listening to a piece of music and "see" in my mind what I'd like the laser show to look like. I can "see" other lighting effects and where I'd like them to come into play. A flash here, a strobe effect there. I can figure out how to set a room up and convey my minds image to an audience with a lot of the stuff I have.
    Word of warning here, Brad - I completely agree, but I find it never comes out half as cool the first time as you imagined or see on your screen before going live. Re-work and more re-work is required, at least that's my personal experience, but I'm no Swami either . . I mean there can't be many laser-Mozarts that write out photon symphonies that are awesome on the first draft, can there??

Thanks again Rizard for posting!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

The way I did it by just doing it. Start with simple effects like zooming and simple pan effects. And within no time your skills will grow. Just a little secret between us guys: the Imogen Heap show was the second show I made. And I think I spend a total of 20/25 ours on it. From picking out the frames until finish programming it!

The first show I ever did was a 9 minute long:

Haha you can see how i got more handy making it during the length of the show.

I used 4 songs of the Pirates of the Caribbean by Hans Zimmer. That's always good music: music from movies. They have tempo changes and big diversity. Always wanted to know if there are artist that make that music not specific for a film but just to listen to. Would be a great source for people like us. Big plus of that music is that they are not specific for an theme. Like a number from the top 40 where they singing about about the summer you can't use that in a show about the winter or in the winter. if the music doesn't put out a message it's more useable on different occasions.

i'm thinking about this for my next show:

http://music.sjtucker.com/track/we-a...erald-city-mix

it might be fun for all of us to make shows to the same piece of music and see what we all come up with.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I did not know that PotC show was yours as well Rizard!
    Yes, film music is probably the most accessable by the general public.

Swamidog: do I feel a contest coming on? We just have to agree on the music file...

no. not a contest, a just for giggles exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    I did not know that PotC show was yours as well Rizard!
    Yes, film music is probably the most accessable by the general public.

Swamidog: do I feel a contest coming on? We just have to agree on the music file...