Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4551525354555657 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2013 (7th annual!) August 16th-18. Sign up now!

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    NOTE: I heard mention about a scanner-tuning session, but missed it with everything that was going on (glad to hear it was on video).
    Lulightec and I captured this session, Greg. We will get it compiled and posted ASAP. Even with my less than stellar camcorder and associated skills, at least we are capturing some of the great knowledge shared at SELEM. I hope we can record even more (with improved quality) next year - with the approval of the sages sharing their accumulated wisdom.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by laserlackey View Post
    Next year we're bringing the whole crew out, with even BIGGER lasers mwahahaha
    Sounds great! We need to block out a specific time for you, Les, and Mario to spin in Club-SELEM next year too. (we really need to be better about posting schedules like that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    I would really like to see us tighten the schedule as best as possible and print this out for distribution when you sign your waiver
    That's a good idea. I would have liked to have had signs made up beforehand to post on the doors, but there wasn't time. It would have been fairly easy to do, since the schedule was mostly finalized well in advance of the event.

I'll be glad to handle/help with the event schedule.
    OK, would you be willing to make up some large signs to hang in various places? I'm thinking on the wall by the sign-in table in the backstage hallway, and then maybe one in Club-SELEM and one on the entrance door to the auditorium. Whatcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Don't make me resort to having to get a few scantily clad Citadel cheerleaders come to your front lawn and dance singing:

"2 , 4 , 6 , 8, What are we changin' 'bout SELEM 8"
    I'm sure Marie would be thrilled at the prospect... NOT!

Ok, you guys have convinced me. I will contact the venue and get the ball rolling on extending the event by 1 day. Need to see what that will do to the cost, but it shouldn't be too bad... (Crosses fingers)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Next year we're going to have a break dance competition in Club SELEM. Be sure to have your Adidas gear ready. I am going to show how it is done.
    I'll bring the cardboard.

Next year we're going to have a break dance competition in Club SELEM. Be sure to have your Adidas gear ready. I am going to show how it is done.
    ...or Reebok if you prefer

Quote Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    Wow, best SELEM yet. By far, from the perspective of more of an observer of the projectors. I'm currently more of a gas guy, but it really made me want to join the ranks of the projector guys soon; I fear.

So, here's my .02

It was disappointing not seeing DJmatt there, the gas room was less packed than usual. But Saturday night it seemed to fill up and Sunday morning it had even more. (Mostly reliant argons it looked like and the HGM they were trying to get to work.) Lots more HeNe's than I've seen in past years, including lots of yellows and a couple oranges (one multiline!)
    And a Spectra Physics 127 I bought and took home

It was very nice having a schedule posted by the back stage door for each day. I didn't remember that from the last two years. It was easier to follow what was going on.

In the main auditorium, the laser show projectors seemed spot on and incredible shows and set up. The five on stage for beam shows and the awe-inspriring one used for projection were great.

More food this time also and very good.

I only heard one complaint and he said that the trading and selling wasn't as good as before. I don't agree, but that was his opinion. Len had lots of stuff and there were some hi-power (2+ watt) units for sale also, I met lots of new people and learned tons.

It was great having Dr Sam and Steve there. Picked Sams brains on a couple things, along with others like swamidog and MarioMaster.

The presentation on Beyond was excellent and I really enjoyed the cool things you could do with taggin live feeds, like audio to a laser effect. (Maybe someday, also)

Thanks Adam and everyone else, I'm sure I'm not the only one who really appreciated the way it was put together.
    It was great to see you again too.
    and I missed DJmatt also sorry that Mike Dunn and Tim Walsh et al were not there.

About Sam-

Thank you very much for the cash donations offered at the event- Our goal was to have Sam back and again like 2011 & use little on none of the SELEM monies. Some at the event did not have cash to chip in and a few said for me to get with them after SELEM and they would PP a few dollars and consider it very well spent, as it stands now the bulk of thees expenses to cover Sam's room- shirt - meals and travel costs has NOT been covered . if anyone who enjoyed having Sam at SELEM wants to still add to the hat feel free to PM me for my Paypal address ATM I cannot remember who asked me to remind them- but if you are reading this and still want to help out fine. if you cannot or do not see the value please just ignore all this and there will be no hard feelings.

I will say however that I hope another attendee will work to get Sam back for SELEM 2014 as it is just too much work for me , too much stress and out of my pocket expenses and my pockets are not at all deep. I gave a few items FS out to people who promised to pay me when they could I did not make a list but would hope that you know who you are and will PM me to settle up.

Best SELEM ever the sound and DJ skillz in the Club was incredible to say the least-

TY Brad for bringing the BBQ-
    very tasty!!

and all the cool gear you bring too..

I wanted to help with the food but was discouraged by some of the comments at PL. I got burned out with three pizza meals and something different and better could have been easily done with the 5 $ a head collected for the pizzas.
    I have been to four SELEMs and two TEXLEMs and it has been a tradition for us to eat at the venue when possible as a group- Why leave the venue to eat overpriced food at McDs? If that is your choice by all means go for it and I hope you enjoy.. but if someone offer to do the work to put out a meal at a LEM and you are not happy with that then sobeit= go out all you want but no need to rain on my parade-

Last edited by hakzaw1; 08-28-2013 at 10:26.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Ok, you guys have convinced me. I will contact the venue and get the ball rolling on extending the event by 1 day. Need to see what that will do to the cost, but it shouldn't be too bad... (Crosses fingers)
    If it were to become necessary, just know that it would be underwritten, since it's been my push from the get go.

Smile

Next year we're going to have a break dance competition in Club SELEM. I am going to show how it is done.
    Holy shit! That's worth the price of admission right there folks! Come to SELEM 2014 and see Gary breakdancing!

Youtube gold, I tell ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    If it were to become necessary, just know that it would be underwritten, since it's been my push from the get go.
    I've been in touch with Olivia, and she's going to contact the people at the school. She said she would work with us on the auditorium side, so the only real wild-card is the increased rent for the use of the cafeteria. (I'm sure the auditorium side would go up a little, but that's predictable and manageable.) Hopefully the school will be reasonable this time. (Because they certainly weren't reasonable about the use of the kitchen!)

I also reminded Olivia that the money we pay in rent is just a small piece of the pie. Having 50 + people descend on Newton for a long weekend brings in a LOT of cash for local businesses. If she can make that point to the board, maybe they will "encourage" the school people to be more reasonable. We will see though.

Olivia said she should have a ball-park figure for me by the end of next week.

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

mention the mayor makes us breakfast....

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Holy shit! That's worth the price of admission right there folks! Come to SELEM 2014 and see Gary breakdancing!

Youtube gold, I tell ya...

I've been in touch with Olivia, and she's going to contact the people at the school. She said she would work with us on the auditorium side, so the only real wild-card is the increased rent for the use of the cafeteria. (I'm sure the auditorium side would go up a little, but that's predictable and manageable.) Hopefully the school will be reasonable this time. (Because they certainly weren't reasonable about the use of the kitchen!)

I also reminded Olivia that the money we pay in rent is just a small piece of the pie. Having 50 + people descend on Newton for a long weekend brings in a LOT of cash for local businesses. If she can make that point to the board, maybe they will "encourage" the school people to be more reasonable. We will see though.

Olivia said she should have a ball-park figure for me by the end of next week.

Adam
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    mention the mayor makes us breakfast....
    ...breakfast with a capital "B"!!!

Anne is amazing! If I lived in Newton, she'd absolutely have my vote!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

no doubt!

those breakfasts were definitely a highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    ...breakfast with a capital "B"!!!

Anne is amazing! If I lived in Newton, she'd absolutely have my vote!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.