Page 1 of 57 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2013 (7th annual!) August 16th-18. Sign up now!

Cool SELEM 2013 (7th annual!) August 16th-18. Sign up now!

South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting (SELEM)

It's hard to believe it, but this year will be our 7th annual SELEM. As always, it will be held in The Newton-Conover Auditorium in Newton, North Carolina. This year the dates are Friday, August 16th through Sunday, August 18th.

Registration will be $60 per laserist, and that will get you admission to the event plus one SELEM polo shirt. Your family and guests may attend with you for free, and you may pre-order extra shirts for you or your guests for $20 each. You can send your registration fee (or payments for extra shirts) to me via paypal at: adburns@sc.rr.com, or you can mail a check or money order to me at:

Adam Burns
    102 Nightingale MNR
    Charleston, SC 29418

Everyone will need to sign a liability waiver (including guests) prior to entering the auditorium. Mature children are welcome to attend with parental supervision, but remember that this is an at-risk event; your guests are your responsibility. Also, no weapons of any kind (concealed or otherwise) are allowed at the event.

Load-in and setup will be on Thursday, August 15th, from noon until 5 PM. We could really use some help with the load-in this year, especially with the audio gear! Mario has agreed to bring those huge folded-horn subwoofers again, but we will need some assistance moving them. If you'd like to volunteer for that, reply in this thread please!

SELEM officially begins on Friday, Augst 16th at 10 AM. As always, we'll run until midnight on Friday and Saturday, but Sunday we will need to start shutting down around 5 PM so we can be out of the auditorium no later than 8 PM.

Suggested locations for lodging are The Trotthouse Inn Bed & Breakfast (less than 1 block from the venue) or the Holiday Inn Express in Conover (around 5 miles from the venue). Rooms at the Trotthouse run $90 per night for us, which is ~ $15 less than they normally charge. (They give a discount for anyone using the auditorium.) A standard room at the Holiday Inn is $79, or you can get a suite for $99, and these are also discounted from the normal rates. Call the Trotthouse at (828) 465-0404, or call the Holiday Inn Express at (828)-465-7070. Either way, mention you are with the "SELEM LASER GROUP" to get the discounted rates.

NOTE: Rooms fill up fast. Don't wait until the last minute to book a room or you might end up having to drive 20 miles down I-40 to find a place to stay. (The other Holiday Inn hotel in Hickory is closed for renovations and will not be available this year.)

The plan for the auditorium is the same as last year: 3 to 5 solid-state RGB projectors on-stage facing the audience for beams and atmospheric shows (still need to determine exactly which projectors, but I think we'll use Aaron's and Brad's again, just like last year), with DZ's dual-head graphics projector mounted in the balcony (and fed with Jeff's 6 watt Coherent whitelight) facing towards the stage to display on the large screen in front of the curtain. We will have a control station at the back of the auditorium (near the sound booth) where people can connect to the projectors for either beam or graphics show presentations.

We will have the cafeteria area available for "Club-SELEM" again this year, and unlike last year we should have access to the cafeteria for the duration of SELEM, so we can set up in there on Thursday at the same time we're setting up in the auditorium. As before we will have a DJ station in there, but this time we will also set up a master control station near the back where anyone can plug-in their controller and run all the projectors in the room if they want. We will probably have a DMX control station back there as well to run some of the moving-head lighting fixtures along with the beam rails. (Really hoping to have both of Flecom's Mobo-laser rails in there as well as the X-pod system from X-laser set up as well.)

We will also have the upstairs classroom set aside for our use for special presentations. And of course, the backstage area will be available for the buy-and-sell tables and the "ion laser work room". The gallery/lobby area can be used for discussions, relaxing and/or other demonstrations as needed.

Things that still need to be discussed:

1) Logo design for this year's SELEM shirt - Design is done; shirt order completed
    2) List of shows people want to run in the auditorium - DZ IS HEADING THIS UP; TALK TO HIM IF YOU HAVE SHOWS TO RUN
    3) List of presenters for classroom area - Have Dan Goldsmith and Bill Benner scheduled so far
    4) ILDA LSO class on Monday after SELEM Greg Makhov will be teaching the class. Sign up on ILDA website.
    5) Which beam projectors will be used in the auditorium this year - CURRENT PLAN IS TO USE SAME ONES AS LAST YEAR; 3 FROM AARON AND 2 FROM BRAD

The event is (EDIT) just a few days away at this point. Hotel rooms are filling up fast... Also, the shirt order has already been submitted, so if you haven't already signed up by now you probably won't get a shirt! (The shirt order has to be sent off about 3 weeks before SELEM starts so they'll be done in time.) And if you've got any questions, comments, or suggestions, now is the time to post them!

Adam

List of people who have registered:

Buffo
    Bradfo69
    Swamidog
    Displaser
    DZ
    Hakzaw1
    Dkumpula
    ShawnB
    BradleyJay
    Boom
    Telmnstr
    Icecruncher
    Chexmex
    Hitekvoop
    Araugh
    X-Laser
    Lazerjock
    DrFlick
    SaltyRobot
    Polishedball
    Flecom
    Cfavreau
    Platinum
    RGB-gas
    James
    Dchammonds
    Daedal
    Lazerman121
    Lulighttech
    JohnYayas
    Jeff
    Mariomaster
    CountFunkula
    DrEvil
    Imagelight
    Ragdoll
    Allthatwhichis
    Whitcher88
    SoulFeast
    Bungy
    DrLava
    Laserock
    Laserlackey
    Mixedgas
    Kyle
    Last edited by buffo; 08-14-2013 at 18:07. Reason: Updated attendee list

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

2 registrations paid. Now I'll go back and read the above...

I think this entire thread is the basis for a hands on classroom seminar at some point during the weekend:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...nd-Defects#top

There is 5 months to dream something up.

Excellent, count me in +1

Brad: Regarding a short presentation on the ILDA test pattern, scanner tuning, and "tails" in a scanned image, I could probably do a short talk about that on Saturday sometime. Thinking that maybe the best place to do that would be on the stage behind the main curtain. We can use the cyclorama sheet at the back of the stage as a projection screen and leave the work lights on so we can see what we're doing. I could set up a small projector and run through the basic setup for scanner tuning, and also demonstrate how to adjust the color shift to eliminate tails. (If I can enlist the aid of DZ, we could even do a short demo on how the color board works.)

Adam: Really glad to see you'll be there again this year. Sure had a great time with you guys last year. (Thanks again for the open bar last year! That was really cool of you guys!) I'm sure this year will be even more fun. (Can't wait!)

Adam

Newb laserist here, molto excited about attending my first SELEM event. Please count me in for the LSO class, hope others are interested as well.

I'll be taking a week off work to give me drive time and will assist with load-in/out.

Will be bringing 1 highly modified mobolazer and possibly some other goodies.

Payment forthcoming.

-rick

That would be VERY cool to get DZ to demonstrate the color board. I've got about three of them (two installed) and haven't had the time yet to really learn about setting it up correctly.

Rick - thumbs up on a highly modified Mobo. You will thoroughly enjoy your first SELEM!

Rick;

Love the idea of a modified Mobolaser rail! Those things ROCK! If we have enough gear, we might put one set in "Club-SELEM" and another set in the auditorium. We'll have to see. But for sure we'll want them in Club-SELEM!

I am waiting for Greg to call me back regarding the possibility of an LSO class on Monday, August 19th. I'll post here as soon as I know something.

Adam

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i can give you a hand with that if dz is busy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colorboard.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	37446

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    That would be VERY cool to get DZ to demonstrate the color board. I've got about three of them (two installed) and haven't had the time yet to really learn about setting it up correctly.

Rick - thumbs up on a highly modified Mobo. You will thoroughly enjoy your first SELEM!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

IF.. (..and that's a big IF, since I've still got a lot of higher-priority 'deliverables'...) I can make it this year, I'll be happy to do a quickie-class on scanner-mirror replacement.. don't claim to be an 'expert', etc, but do have a pretty-good 'touch' for it, and can just share some tips / techniques learned for both removal and glue-up, as well as achieving the 'balancing act'.. Also, a look at some 'jigs' that you can make for doing 6800 / DT-body-style galvos, if yer daft with machining up acrylic-tube..

ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...