Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noob needs 3 things...

Default Noob needs 3 things...

Hi I have jumped head first into the laser club and need a bit of advice on three things.
    A DAC and software that is not insanely expensive I was thinking of an Ether Dream or Pangolin.
    A hazer machine that is reliable and not too insanely expensive.
    I'm also guessing a laser power meter would be a good idea as soon as possible.
    A reliable supplier preferably in the UK would be good but will buy from overseas if delivery is reliable and price is cheaper.
    Many thank for your help and for the help members have given to me already.

Hi welcome to pl
    Software/dac pangolin qs is a good choice for ease of use, or the powerfull lsx software, but that has quite a steep learning curve ,but gives good results if you put the effort in, it also works with the ether dream dac,or the very good riya dac
    Power meters can get expensive, best bet for hobby use is get an ophir head off ebay but you need to get the right one
    20c-a1-y run of a couple of 9v batterys and using a dmm for display
    Stanwax laser in the uk should serve most of your needs
    Laser and parts wise, lsx and dac to use with it will come from dr lava ,if you can get hold of him
    Hope that helps for now
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Hazers are very expensive for anything decent. Not sure what your budget is, but many of us would recommend the Unique Solutions 2.1:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/look_unique...11e18c140a6d72

It's probably the best combination of price, reliability and quality you're going to get for a reasonable budget.

You can get the same quality or better for more money but you'll be hard pushed to get anywhere near it for quality or reliability in my opinion for less.

Pangolin QS is a good start software wise as its reasonably powerful but very easy to use and it gives you an upgrade path to Beyond in the future (you pay the difference instead of the full price).

As Chris said, LPM's are very expensive and thus Ophir heads and some DIY electronics are a cheaper way in.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I've had some lengthy PM's with William (fish323) and I'm kicking myself a little for not getting the laser he bought when I had the opportunity. Yes... he DID jump in with both feet but, I think he got a great deal and a nice projector. Nice to see we're all in agreement here as I suggested the Unique and Quickshow as well. I'm sure you'll be seeing him at a UKLEM before long!

Personally, I am NOT a fan of the Look Solutions hazers; they use waaaay too much fluid. I really like the Lemaitre (Ultratec in the USA) Radiance hazers. They sip fluid, and are easy to clean/fix when needed.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

True. I've bought one of those before (for someone else in a trade deal). However, I think the Unique is more easily obtainable in Great Britan which was a reason I suggested it. Personally I like DF-50's and have two of them.

I did mention that there are as many different hazers and foggers as there are opinions and everyone has their favorite. But, what works for one person may not be the best for someone elses conditions. What I DID suggest is to always buy a bit more capability than you think you need. I don't think spending a little extra for a bigger or better hazer is ever a bad idea if you can afford it.

Hey william where are you in the uk ?
    There is a uklem in a few weeks will you be attending ?
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    Personally, I am NOT a fan of the Look Solutions hazers; they use waaaay too much fluid. I really like the Lemaitre (Ultratec in the USA) Radiance hazers. They sip fluid, and are easy to clean/fix when needed.
    Can't say that's something most of us who have one have found. Maybe the Radiance is even more economical.

I must admit I've not used mine a lot, as I have very little scope for safe lasing here, so probably around 6 or 7 hours now in total and I've used maybe 100-150ml fluid from the bottle that came with it.

Jem has used his a lot so I'm sure he can give you a better perspective. I'm not sure which other members on here have the Unique, but I know there are a few.

I do know that Unique are quite reportedly expensive to repair if they go wrong though.

I'm also not sure where you are William geographically, but I understand you can't get the Radiance in the UK so the option would probably be the Neutron if you wanted LeMaitre. Just be aware, the Neutron reportedly takes between 30 sec - 1 minute to respond to a DMX signal according to posts in the Blue Room. I'm unsure of the Uniques DMX response as I don't use DMX just the in built controls. Again others may be able to help you if DMX control is your planned route so you can get a better comparison.

You're probably going to want to factor in a flight case as well which ever hazer you go for as the last thing you want is an expensive hazer sat around in a cardboard box!

Thank you everyone especially Brad for his continued advice. I think he will be sick of my PMs in the near future. Stanwax is on holiday till the 7th March so I will have to put Pangolin on hold till then. I have asked for some demo software off them hopefully it will be downloadable in the next few days.
    Regards the hazer I'm afraid I'm going to have to go on the cheap (Fogtec Eclipse) at the moment, if I get a year out of it and have generated some cash I can upgrade. Once I have got the laser and the lighting set up I am going to have to throw more money at the decor. I have already spent nearly £4000 on decor which is being designed and made in Thailand at the moment. I'll get the first room in 6 weeks and then the second room 6 weeks after that. I'll need to immediately order a 3rd room when they arrive, it's just a case of throwing money at the problem till I build up enough stock. Unlike lasers decor has a short shelf life (if you stay in the one location) as people get sick of the same stuff time after time. BTW I'm based in London so there are plenty of parties here to get work at but the pay is rubbish which is another reason to both the lighting and the decor.
    I would have liked to go to uklem but I will be in Colombia at that time. When I booked the flights I hadn't realised I would be spending all my money on lasers and decor.
    I realise there are different versions but are these the most recent and the same product?
    http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/flash...fb3qs-39-p.asp
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pangolin-Q...item19cca21024
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pangolin-Q...item5899a57143
    Once again many thanks for all the advice.
    Last edited by Fish323; 02-26-2013 at 02:56.

You could stick with a smoke machine until you can afford a decent hazer, you'll lose less money that way as smoke machines are far cheaper.