Thread: Any parts worth keeping in a rear projection tv?

Question Any parts worth keeping in a rear projection tv?

Hi guys,

I'm about to bin an old rear projection TV. I heard there can be a few optics that are worth keeping.

Does anyone know what to look out for?

Cheers
    Kit

Depends on the tv type but they usually have a large FS mirror. That is worth keeping. Good for bounce mirrors. You might be able to extract the large frensel lens from the front and burn some stuff. Other than that the actual projection optics aren't that useful..

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I'm sure I saw a video on YouTube recently where some guy had used the lens from one of these to construct a solar furnace. Of course you'd need to be somewhere where there's some sunshine. It would be absolutely no use whatsoever here in the UK .

And yes, the large FS mirror is worth trying to extract in one piece.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Nice

Sunshine ay.... Now where can I find some of that?

Actually I should be thrown in jail for wasting most of the summer.

I was away working too much and only got to the beach 3 times.

I just got my vitamin D checked a few weeks ago. It was low and that's at the end of summer.

You would think working in a friggin hot desert you would get enough exposure to the sun,but with working night shifts and during the day we are covered head to toe, apparently not.

On the bright side, I should be a shoe in for earning my "dedicated indoor dweller" techno geek badge.

Hmmmm maybe I should get out more....

Cheers for the clues guys!

Kit

A quick Google search produced this...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gian...iment-in-Opti/

You guys in Oz shouldn't have a problem collecting the required amount of sunlight
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If it is DLP based, the single element ultra wide angle lens may have some show uses. Heaven forbid I violate Bill's patent by telling you how to do so. It will have distortion, but the effect is similar.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If it is DLP based, the single element ultra wide angle lens may have some show uses. Heaven forbid I violate Bill's patent by telling you how to do so. It will have distortion, but the effect is similar. You need to add a few external lenses to condition the beam before it goes into the lens. This does not work with all DLP type wide angle lenses, but once in a while I find one that works.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    A quick Google search produced this...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gian...iment-in-Opti/

You guys in Oz shouldn't have a problem collecting the required amount of sunlight
    Yikes! That's madness, melting coins with the sun! I like it

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    If it is DLP based, the single element ultra wide angle lens may have some show uses. Heaven forbid I violate Bill's patent by telling you how to do so. It will have distortion, but the effect is similar. You need to add a few external lenses to condition the beam before it goes into the lens. This does not work with all DLP type wide angle lenses, but once in a while I find one that works.

Steve
    Ah, interesting. I have been considering Bills lenses.

Will be interesting to have a fiddle with the lenses that come out of this TV.

Thanks Steve.

Kit