Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new Beyond show

Hi Steve, nice show! Thanks for sharing.

How are you finding Beyond compared to QS?
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Hi Steve, nice show! Thanks for sharing.

How are you finding Beyond compared to QS?

You're welcome mate!

Well...
    It's quite difficult to me to compare Beyond vs QuickShow.....
    QS is.... the essential. Sinply and clear.
    Beyond is.... over and "beyond"!!!
    Its greatest feature is: 3d animator. A great feature!
    Just right in these days I'm learning to use it. It's really hard to use (to me). This is because it has A LOT of settings.
    Also the "Create new abstraction" feature is quite complex.... I'm still understanding how it works...
    A little boring difference I found between them is, when you create a show by QS and then you load it into Beyond, sometimes you have to "refurbish" some settings about frames into timeline.
    Example: sometimes you have to re-set the FPS settings, as the frame seems to be "slowed" compared the QS version... (this is because I surelly still have to learn more about how to use Beyond....)
    QS allows "MP3" and ".wav" both music files onto timeline. Beyond always self convert all MP3 files to ".wav" mode before to load it into timeline.
    And then, as you can easily to imagine... Beyond needs more RAM memory from your computer. I have 2GB only and I'm just right to the limits to work fine!

Anyway...
    I think Beyond really deserve the greatest attention from all Pangolin users.
    I personally think that, talking about available features, its place is just little little under LD2000.
    But this is my personal and inexperienced thought!

Greets!
    Steve
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Sorry didn't mean to patronise you. I kind of thought you would know this with all of your experience, but it was worth mentioning just in case. Its amazing how easy it is to overlook the really simple things.

BTW, I don't think ILDA export is likely because ILDA can't hold all of the information contained in the Pangolin Format.

However, you could contact Bill, explain the situation and request an ability to export to QS format. I'm guessing the reason why QS doesn't import Beyond / Beyond export to QS, is because some fundamental things such as keying have a much higher resolution in Beyond and thus there's no equivalent position for them in QS. However, you could ask.

As you can see Swami, export out between the two isn't as simple as it 1st appears because ILDA doesn't support all of the Pangolin format information and QS doesn't have all of the features / equivalents of Beyond.

I agree.
    All you said is true.
    Beyond is much more powerful, a lot more, than QuickShow.
    Apparently they SEEM very similar.... but there is a great ocean between them.

About to ask to Bill...
    I don't think Bill wants to do a sort of "downgrade" of his software... He surely will answer you: "No.... It is not possible".... And he would be right.
    It would means like you have Windows 3.1 and you want to load a Windows 8 program.... It doesn't work.
    my webpage

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    Steve Steve...Please don't think that you HAVE to create your shows in QS if you've moved on to Beyond...We would just Like to be able to project if we could. Then we could spread the name that is Steve far and wide.

Don't worry man!
    You can go asleep safe....

I will yet continue to create shows for both versions: QS and Beyond...
    You have to be sure mate!
    my webpage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milani View Post
    Apparently they SEEM very similar.... but there is a great ocean between them.
    Yeah and there's a lot that's not obvious. eg from memory keying in Beyond has 100x the maximum resolution in QS.

Most people probably will never consciously notice this. But if you place a long cue on the timeline and zoom right in to place a key then the difference is clear. The problem this poses for importing Beyond shows to QS is of course that if you have 2 key positions in QS, there are possibly 98 positions between those 2 in Beyond that simply don't exist in QS. So importing a show then poses a problem as to how you get QS to relocate all of those keys in places that don't exist to places that do.

There are of course many entire features that don't exist in QS as well.

Maybe you see the problem now Swami? It's not easy to down import from something so different.

Default A "remake" from old beamshow for Beyond

Hi all guys

Strange but real...I found some little time to do it...
    "Highlander v.1" beamshow for Pangolin Beyond is ready. One central projector (master) + 2 or more side projectors (satellite). 18-20Kpps scanspeed.

Here's the video (simulation)...

http://youtu.be/Wev1nsFQdGg

Any comment welcome

Enjoy you & greetings!

Steve
    my webpage

Thank you, Steve!

I am curious, when people are designing beamshows, do they design for direct viewing, expecting the audience to be below the image, or do they design for audience scanning, or use beam masks for the seating/viewing area, or just expect it to be videotaped and not have anyone actually staring at the projectors? Or maybe some of all of the above?

Here is another video....
    My last beamshow...

http://youtu.be/DEI3EQtI4e8

my webpage

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Thank you, Steve!

I am curious, when people are designing beamshows, do they design for direct viewing, expecting the audience to be below the image, or do they design for audience scanning, or use beam masks for the seating/viewing area, or just expect it to be videotaped and not have anyone actually staring at the projectors? Or maybe some of all of the above?
    Depends on who is designing it. When I watch beam shows I put a small mask around my head so that I get to experience it to the max. Of course you can't do that with a large audience but that is what is nice about having your own personal laser projection room at home.

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Thank you, Steve!

Well... Everyone has his own way-to-think about lasershow...

When I create a beamshow I think that people have to see it "directly", in front of them.
    In my mind, a beamshow have to be a sort of "psichedelic" show.
    So I divide all the frames/animations in different zone. Some of them are projected in audience, some are overhead, some are "full in front".
    On top zone are the most powerful projections, using bright colors like cyan, white and green for hot beams, full power sheets, etc.etc.
    Overhead I use medium power/speed effects.
    In the largest zone (audience) I use the quickest effects, attenuated by B.A.M. on bottom side. I use dark colors like red, violet, blue. This is because a brigther color could "hide" other figures projected in remaining zones over it (ovehead and top zones).

I always plan my show thinking that:
    - projectors will be placed at minimum distance of 20 meters from people;
    - will be not not less than 3 meters from the floor level;
    - divergence of my projectors is not so good...... from 1 to 2 mrad).
    - QuickShow and Beyond have safety zone settings.

Up now, everything has always gone fine...
    my webpage