Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D laser shows are real!

Default 3D laser shows are real!

Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

http://www.aist.go.jp/aist_e/latest_.../20060210.html

Above the press release is for the fast version, they had planar pictures out before that.

I do believe the one in the video is "Powered by Pangolin"

What is cool is the linear motor for the "Z" axis. That had to be expensive.

The rep rate is limited to around 200 hz for practical reasons. The required flashlamp for the pump laser is good for ~ 20 million shots.

This is a common lab demo carried to the extreme. The laser in my Icon/Avatar was made in the late 80s and can "snap" air 20 times a second.

The downside is the laser safety. There is a lot of sub-nanosecond 1064 producing that plasma. The NOHD for the direct, focused, laser if the plasma fails to form is tens of meters.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Is this available to buy yet???? :-)

I talked with Bill Benner about this years ago... It seems that the display itself is pretty damned loud. (Makes sense when you think about a bunch of tiny balls of plasma forming and collapsing multiple times each second.) It definitely ran on Pangolin's hardware. (QM-2000)

In the end the fact that you could only make something like 200 dots (so very low res images), plus the noise, plus the high cost of the laser, plus the general recklessness of forming a bunch of free-air plasma (can you imagine doing this in a school? don't put your hand in there Timmy!) all combined to doom this to nothing more than a tech demo and lab curiosity.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I talked with Bill Benner about this years ago... It seems that the display itself is pretty damned loud. (Makes sense when you think about a bunch of tiny balls of plasma forming and collapsing multiple times each second.) It definitely ran on Pangolin's hardware. (QM-2000)

In the end the fact that you could only make something like 200 dots (so very low res images), plus the noise, plus the high cost of the laser, plus the general recklessness of forming a bunch of free-air plasma (can you imagine doing this in a school? don't put your hand in there Timmy!) all combined to doom this to nothing more than a tech demo and lab curiosity.

Adam
    Reminds me of when I built my first tesla coil. Pictures don't convey noise! Indeed, true holograms are still have such a long way to go. It's a really cool concept but I'd wager that we are going to need the Krell's Plastic Educator to get the holograms we're after. Watch out for monsters from the id!

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Reminds me of when I built my first tesla coil. Pictures don't convey noise!
    Not to twist your arm or anything, but Tesla coils are another reason to come to SELEM! We've had a singing Tesla coil at SELEM for the last couple years at least. Very cool, but yeah, really loud too!

Indeed, true holograms are still have such a long way to go.
    Yeah, unfortunately. (And now that I think about it, one of the long-time SELEM veterans (Lazerjock) has several holograms, including one that rotates and is animated. So that's another reason!)

Adam

Is the rotating hologram one of these? "Lovely Rita" by Craig Newswanger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lovely Rita.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	55468

There's also "Skateboard Rita", made of the same girl on the same day. I have the only known copy of this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skateboard Rita G.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	511.7 KB 
ID:	55470
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rita Display.jpg  

Last edited by Eidetic; 05-12-2019 at 05:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Is the rotating hologram one of these? "Lovely Rita" by Craig Newswanger.
    Bingo! Yes, it's "Lovely Rita".

For those who haven't seen it in person, you never get to see the naked bits. But it's an amazing display nonetheless!

There's also "Skateboard Rita", made of the same girl on the same day. I have the only known copy of this one.
    COOOOOOOOL! I wasn't aware of the existence of the second one. Rare indeed...

OK, now *YOU* need to come to SELEM and bring it with you!

Adam

A "Lovely Rita" just sold on Ebay for more than $500 with a few bidders. Only the second one I've seen offered in the past ten years. By far the most popular holographic image produced, when displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    A "Lovely Rita" just sold on Ebay for more than $500 with a few bidders. Only the second one I've seen offered in the past ten years. By far the most popular holographic image produced, when displayed.
    I haven't read up on the history of the Lovely Rita Hologram but, that had to have been done with ruby or other pulsed source, right? I mean, otherwise you'd have too much entropy. Keep in mind, I know very very little about film holograms.

Certainly an awesome image, even if the naughty bits are left to the imagination!