Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laser nightlights and assorted stupidity

Laser Warning

Waiting on FDA to confirm / deny they've not gotten anything on this 'blue' product.. Apparently, they did file something for the green... nevertheless, At a *very minumum*, (imo) it needs better / Proper-labeling, accurate-warnings, and a LOT-better public 'education'.. (ie: "..It is a lamp and you are pointing a LED flashlight to an aircraft / 'safe for cats', etc, = FAIL)...

..in-all, >_<
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 04-16-2013 at 12:36.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

The kickstarter creator has been editing his updates he has removed a good deal of them. I think kickstarter has pushed him to remove some wording but is still allowing him to continue, this will be one project to watch what happens.

I did mention it not being certified when I reported it to Kickstarter, but clearly they're fueled by the money and don't really give a crap. We need someone with a bit of authority to shut this down, maybe a stern phonecall to the kickstarter support line or something

I figured that thing wouldn't actually have been compliant with anything.

When my brain decides to function again I'll probably throw an email over to the FDA. Cheers for the link, Jon.

With any luck, they'll be getting a call from the CDRH soon. I doubt Kickstarter's staff/review team would be familiar with any of the regulations surrounding laser products (or, at least, to an extent where they'd realise that Firefly's claims of supposed compliance were no more than a crock of sh!t).

Hopefully Mr Redpath gets a good (public) dressing-down -- and with any luck, there won't be any more of these toy-meets-laser contraptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Yep, and the sad part is kickstarter haven't done crap about it yet. I dunno how the laws work there in the US, but could someone "in the know" possibly give our friend Richard here a little "referral"?
    It's because they make a 4% cut of all the pledged money, they'd only be hurting themselfs. If they can get away with sweeping it under the rug they will.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Was on a airliner two days ago. Read the stupid Skymall stuff. He's selling a waterproof, outdoor, one, either that or some one else stole the "firefly" name. 179$ for the outdoor, green, one.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Get ready for 6000+ (so far) child blinding lasers on the market.

He will probably have half a million dollars at the end of this

Hello folks.

Im just interested why you dont like this product?

1. is it becouse it is so expensive?
    Well, for us who knows whats inside and how to light up a 450nm Led with our eyes blinded its really expensive.
    But for a novice and lekman i think its quite valuble, they get a really nice looking lamp-laser.

2. Is it becouse it is under 5mW?

Atleast here in sweden you can get 5mW green/red/blue everywhere for as low as 5 USD, local food store, gas station, etc etc you name it.
    Hey they even sell them as pet toys in pet stores to have and play with your dog OR cat . I've seen this in many countries not just Sweden.
    I don't know what the rules are in US but i think 5mW pointers is sold everywhere and legal for anyone also? or am i wrong?

3. Is it because of the diffraction grating?
    i don't know so much about this, but i guess he said that they've made sure it is not focusing and made so its not a tight beam?

Remember im not saying this is a great product but reading through all your comments reminds me of the old coop´s that tried to stop the evolution of mp3´s and other digital media formats.

I have not the same understanding and knowledge as many of you guys so no disrespect that's why im asking the questions..

But to me it seems like a fairly legit product especially as they claim its even below 3.5mW
    The price???
    well its a neat box they designed and that is not cheap, and they claim the have a patented chilling solution and that is very NOT cheap.

Greetings, rf..

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    Im just interested why you dont like this product?
    ..well, there are a few choice-reasons..

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    ...i think 5mW pointers is sold everywhere and legal for anyone also?
    #1, Check-out page 6 of this doc (attached..) and tell us how-much power '5mW' becomes, at the back of the retina:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser BioEffects.pdf 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	38178.. granted, the blink-reflex 'saves us' from damage (usually..) but.. that does *not* mean that '5mW is "Safe" to just go shining in the eyes, directly, and especially for any period of time, and - close-up (..as might happen, if some unwary toddler, comes-up to the 'pretty-blue light', and sticks the thing right in his / her eye..) It's just flat-out a ing-idiotic product, and - imo - *will* end-up with someone getting some-damage / irritation, and this moron getting sued..

#2, Also, the 'pioneer' is misinforming the public, ie: re: "..It is a lamp and you are pointing a LED flashlight to an aircraft..." ??? NO. It is a LASER PRODUCT, *claiming* 3-5mW of output, each beamlet - which *can* reach an aircraft, ie: a heli, so - No - if you point this at an aircraft, you are NOT 'pointing a LED flashlight to an aircraft', you are pointing a LASER AT AN AIRCRAFT, which is now a FEDERAL OFFENSE. *THAT'S* what the 'advertising' needs to say! ie: "DO NOT EVER POINT THE 'FIREFLY' AT AN AIRCRAFT IN THE SKY" On a big-yellow Label, right near the aperture... of-which, it (apparently..) has-none..

Additionally, re: "Compliant and registered with Federal Drug Administration (FDA) under the Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) for US Laser Notice No. 50 performance standards and reporting" ..Sorry, but: Laser Notice 50 is not "the Regs", nor the laws setting safety-standards and limits. It's about 'amending' the CFR (US) to be more 'unified' with the IEC-standard, as-to 'language' / how things are 'expressed' / defined.. ..I am not aware of *any* reg, IEC or otherwise, that says 'NO labeling necessary'...

..and some of the other idiotic-misinformation: "Safe for cats." Really??? I want a link to that-study / proof, please.. ..Here's another gem:

"..the BLUE LASER that's the most compelling component for several reasons. First, technologically it is constructed using stable state technology unlike the green which uses a crystal diode. Crystal diode is fine for normal environments, but the stable state is shatter proof and with our patent-pending heat spreader the blue stable state laser can withstand up to 150 farenheit. Couple that with the special calibration we use for the blue that allows it to reveal objects in a smoky room.."

..uh-huh.. If you don't have the ability to accurately / factually / truthfully explain the *true* technical-realities of something like this, you probably should not be selling them... And, 'patent-pending' has nothing to do with either laser-safety, nor the validity of any of his wild-arse claims.. 'patented chilling-system'?? Phthth, he designed a heat-sink, whoopty-friggin-do..

..again, in-all - it's just 'feels' like yet-another case of 'regs / reason be damned in the name of blind-profiteering', ie: 'Wacked-lasers'.. And, MISinformation is *not* the best-way to keep our industry / hobbies, 'insulated' from fun / making a living-crushing 'blanket-legislation'...

Anyhoo, that's my rant for the evening..
    cheers..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 05-14-2013 at 09:32.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Ok i hear you.
    Thnx for answer.

This is a tricky dilemma i think. Because there are tons of stuff laying around the house already that can both hurt and kill some small children or pets and perhaps its not good to add one more of them, but as small laser-pointer 5mW´s are sold everywhere and kids can buy them and they do, i have not heard of any incidents where someone has gotten eye damage from them yet other than the pointing at law enforcement's and airplanes wich is very bad, but eye damage from them ive never heard of. (going to do a google search now)

ok did a google search and read all articles from the first search page. And the document you posted.
    Theoretically low powered lasers 3-5mW will not do harm and from what i can see and from what American National Standards Institute (ANSI) there has never been such a report, only from higher rated lasers 20-150mW. But i guess Theoretically this is not a safe product.