Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: LSX or FB3 ?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Swami,

Thanks for the post. I also get the impression you will be at the next SELEM. It will be great to see you there and discuss things with you. Even setting software completely aside, I am sure we have a lot in common and will have much to talk about.
    some very nice pl folks have banded together and made it possible for me to be at selem.

by all means! first latte is on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Regarding one thing you wrote, I have only one comment:

Seems to me that there is at least a bit of this with all systems. For example, to the extent that you use features that only exist in LSX and no others, you would not be able to use these in another platform. So if you use what they call "Expressions" (which we might call something else and be accessible in a different way), it means you can only use these (at least in the LSX way) on the LSX platform itself. So if you want to do "their things" in "their way", you need "their software".

If you do File/Save in LSX, I doubt it is possible to load many such files even in Phoenix which should be understood as "brother software" (built on the same foundation).

If, by "platform agnostic" you mean hardware wise, then I think I'd like to show you something in person. The smoothness of motion is unmatched in Pangolin software and this is because of how we communicate with the hardware and what the hardware does. To people who have never seen Pangolin software, or especially haven't seen it running side by side with others, this might seem, frankly, unbelievable. But it's true. Phoenix (brother software), Mamba, Moncha, Fiesta, etc. are nowhere near as smooth as Pangolin, and I'll be happy to put our software side by side with any others and show this to you.

We will be investigating running Pangolin software on Phoenix hardware and vice-versa to see what can be done. I'm always happy to do experiments, but if the output quality is not as good as we typically deliver, then we won't be "going there".

Bill
    sorry i wasn't very clear about this. i'm absolutely not disputing the quality of the output or the software. pangolin has clearly invested considerable time and resources into optimizing output and that effort has paid off. i'm just referring to the lack of ilda export in the newer software products.

i absolutely understand the concept of protecting show content. i have some idea of the time and effort that goes into making laser shows. , however, users should always have control of their own content. keep the protected show format, but also add an ilda export function for user created frames/shows.

i have been asked many times about making my shows available. this will happen when things become a little less crazy for me. because lsx has ilda export, i can make my shows available for lsx, fb3/qs, ld2000, etc. and everybody wins.

imagine if photoshop could not save jpg.
    Last edited by swamidog; 04-16-2013 at 17:36.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

For what it's worth, I would be happy to trade shows with anyone using any software so long as you created the show yourself and/or have permission to trade. That includes my latest robot rock beam show.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    For what it's worth, I would be happy to trade shows with anyone using any software so long as you created the show yourself and/or have permission to trade. That includes my latest robot rock beam show.
    *Gets to work on a new show post haste*

Nice carrot - I want that show!

I bought LSX at first. I've had it for a while and still haven't figured it out. A class that spans a month or two with a couple ~3 hour lessons a week would be nice. I heard somebody else mention this. Learning LSX is like trying to learn Unix while QS is like using Windows. I just bought LD2000 and will probably get a FB3 with QS for easy portability and use with my laptop.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

coloredmirrorball made some excellent video tutorials on getting started with LSX. i think you'll find them helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POrA...ledsHYM-2bxwPd

also, there's a reasonably constant community of us LSX users in the #photonlexicon irc chat. feel free to drop in any time with questions and/or lattes. we'll be happy to give you a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
    I bought LSX at first. I've had it for a while and still haven't figured it out. A class that spans a month or two with a couple ~3 hour lessons a week would be nice. I heard somebody else mention this. Learning LSX is like trying to learn Unix while QS is like using Windows. I just bought LD2000 and will probably get a FB3 with QS for easy portability and use with my laptop.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I was going to say, DrEvil... I don't find it anything like Unix vs. Windows. On the other hand, that may be because I've used nothing else. If I had the budget (of which I have none) to try QS or Beyond or even to have the hardware, I'd be happy to give it a try. I just don't. I remember sitting in the room when Bill first demoed Beyond and offered a free copy to anyone who was there listening to that demo, as long as they had the hardware, and wishing I could afford the hardware so I could have a free copy! But, I have used LSX, and have found it to be growing in the right direction, and have not had too difficult a time of figuring it out. There's a bit of a learning curve, but I would assume it's that way with any software. Anytime I've had a question or been confused, there has been someone around to help me out. Not judging; just saying... :-)

is it that hard to implement some protection mechanism, that would allow you to lock your show for whatever reasons? i believe Pangolin hardware must have some functions to support this
    in LSX there is possibility to determine what's possible to do with show you create and you can lock:
    - playing the show
    - editing the show
    - making AVI file of the laser preview window
    - export frame catalogue of the show
    - export ILDA
    - edit these settings above

you can apply these settings according to a password or only to certain serial number of the software
    i believe Etherdream firmware supports this, i'm not sure about other hardware, would have to check with Moncha

Drlava always takes feedback into consideration, even more than consideration in my case (he has always done it). Since I have owned this package (LSX) he has made many feature updates even those that I am the only person that might ever need them. These including adding USB TTL support, timeline layouts, control, dockable windows and others I can't think of at the moment.
    leading in trailing technology

I have problems viewing these videos for some reason.
    Sometimes they load and stop loading half way.
    Sometimes I get a "Error playing this video" and a static screen behind it. Are these in HD or something?

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    coloredmirrorball made some excellent video tutorials on getting started with LSX. i think you'll find them helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POrA...ledsHYM-2bxwPd

also, there's a reasonably constant community of us LSX users in the #photonlexicon irc chat. feel free to drop in any time with questions and/or lattes. we'll be happy to give you a hand.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Yes, they are HD videos. If I encounter such problems, a simple refresh of the webpage usually solves the problem. If needed you could downscale the resolution. Alternatively, you could try another web browser. Or get a better internet connection ;D