Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: No New Projects?

Cool Coming soon to a SELEM near you... (If not sooner!)

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I have noticed that there has been little discussion over the past few weeks about new projects or modifications.
    I haven't sent out an update in a while, but things are *very* close...

Going to have my hands full over the next week or so!

Adam

PS: Just remembered that Mike Muhler also has a new project he just finished - his new actuators for beam rails. He's got a post about them in the buy and sell area.

I have a diy green in the pipe line
    Using an optics set from an dead 1w 532
    Just need to find me some 808nm pump around 15w
    Thats not to expensive.
    Also collecting parts for two 4w twins to go with the 10w rgb.
    Planters i would like to see a whole load of pics of your green build
    Btw hows that going ?
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I haven't sent out an update in a while, but things are *very* close...
    As you all know, I do not routinely monitor PL and so I have not seen Adam's original post or a discussion. What I will say is what Adam is showing here is a Laser Diode Driver based on my original pre-LASORB Aerospace Driver design. This driver incorporates LASORB, as well as three other levels of protection for the laser diode, and allows for setting of threshold and maximum current almost independently (something I've never seen in any other driver). In addition to the four levels of diode protection, it also has a precision input clipper and current monitor test point, so there is no need to remove the diode, put a current meter in place, adjust the current, and then replace the diode. The bandwidth is around 100kHz if memory serves and performance is absolutely beautiful. I came up with this design, and then extracted the ESD protection portion for sale as LASORB.

Adam, Kecked, Daedal and so many others have written to me over the years, troubled by drivers that they had purchased and wanting to get their hands on a decent driver. Pangolin came up with several derivatives of the original Aerospace driver, but never brought them to market. We're simply too busy doing other things that we deem more important. So I am glad that Adam, Kecked and Daedal kind of teamed up to bring this driver design to the market. It is they who will be manufacturing and distributing them, not Pangolin. We will only be receiving a tiny royalty for the LASORB portion of this driver and we will be delivering critical LASORB components that we had custom made in Taiwan.

All in all it should be a great driver, especially for hobbyists. To put it in the words of one of the people working on this, "Hobbyists will finally have access to a good driver".

Bill

Just chiming in so that I get the updates:-)

Bill,

Glad to hear that you have worked out the arrangements with the development team and that they will be marketing them. If used as an OEM component will they be free to provide these without limitation from Pangolin?

I am interested in the Lasorb application. As you may not know, I am working on a color shifted cryogenic laser that would benefit from the protection of the Lasorb, but due to the very low temperatures (60-80K) I need to place the Lasorb @ a minimum of 5cm from the diodes. I was led to believe that no ESD protection remained at even this relatively small distance, but if it was intended to be a component of these drivers then I suspect my information may be incorrect. Can you give a recommendation as to how the protection varies as the distance from the diode to the Lasorb increases?
    Last edited by planters; 04-22-2013 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    As you all know, I do not routinely monitor PL and so I have not seen Adam's original post or a discussion. What I will say is what Adam is showing here is a Laser Diode Driver based on my original pre-LASORB Aerospace Driver design. This driver incorporates LASORB, as well as three other levels of protection for the laser diode, and allows for setting of threshold and maximum current almost independently (something I've never seen in any other driver). In addition to the four levels of diode protection, it also has a precision input clipper and current monitor test point, so there is no need to remove the diode, put a current meter in place, adjust the current, and then replace the diode. The bandwidth is around 100kHz if memory serves and performance is absolutely beautiful. I came up with this design, and then extracted the ESD protection portion for sale as LASORB.

Adam, Kecked, Daedal and so many others have written to me over the years, troubled by drivers that they had purchased and wanting to get their hands on a decent driver. Pangolin came up with several derivatives of the original Aerospace driver, but never brought them to market. We're simply too busy doing other things that we deem more important. So I am glad that Adam, Kecked and Daedal kind of teamed up to bring this driver design to the market. It is they who will be manufacturing and distributing them, not Pangolin. We will only be receiving a tiny royalty for the LASORB portion of this driver and we will be delivering critical LASORB components that we had custom made in Taiwan.

All in all it should be a great driver, especially for hobbyists. To put it in the words of one of the people working on this, "Hobbyists will finally have access to a good driver".

Bill
    Thanks for the additional info, guidance etc.
    leading in trailing technology

Buffo,

This looks very good. Can you give out any of the proposed specs. Even if they are preliminary, it would be useful to anticipate how they might be used.

Planters i would like to see a whole load of pics of your green build
    Btw hows that going ?
    You saw the update last week in "The Big Green Thread". No?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i think this was a really horrible statement to make and quite an insult to folks like drlava, badpip, ddl, etc...

there are/have been a number of excellent a low priced diode drivers available to the hobbyist community for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post

Bill
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i think this was a really horrible statement to make and quite an insult to folks like drlava, badpip, ddl, etc...

there are/have been a number of excellent a low priced diode drivers available to the hobbyist community for years.
    Swami have you scoped the output of all the other drivers? I haven't them all but can say some have had some noise in them. I think this is going to be extremely clean.
    Also those weren't Bills words they were someone on the dev sides.
    leading in trailing technology