Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: post your eye melty abstracts here

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i call this the "50 pound screen saver"...

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Steve, I think you misunderstood the reference to Reason. He was simply demonstrating how an equivalent abstract software synth might work.
    For what it's worth, I see no reason why someone couldn't produce an accurate model of the hardware. It's been going on for a lot of years in the analogue synth market, to the point where they're very good at it, imperfections and all.
    I think that it's just a case of nobody has yet wanted/needed to do it.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

yeah,

a laserium console emulator

that would be cool, even though most of us have pangolin software

dave
    dave321

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Which leads me to doubting that the current owners of Laserium are going to reveal the critical "patching" of the internal analog elements in a model 6 Console.

I've been where I could get a close up at the place where the UFO crashed, and that is going to be one heck a set of of patches to replicate.

There are more then a few custom circuit elements which do not fall into the range of LFOs, VCOS, VCFs, Mixers, Summers, etc.

I'm on the road for three weeks. When I get back I'll ftp a choice taste of the older console as .ILD, as "Thankyou Ware" for non commercial use. Just don't expect it to fit in a small place. It will be white, you have do your own colorization. The other rule will be you cannot use it unless you colorize it with more then two colors.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-28-2013 at 10:55.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    As for sharing the Thesis One console (not quite its real name) its creation was a senior project thesis of a very gifted engineer ,that remains to be seen. The Elders of the Tribe of the Abstract Kokopelli have to decide. We sorta share the design rights to it. We bought them for a horrendous price along with the hardware at a estate sale. It is the predecessor of a certain professional console that won worldwide acclaim.
    i believe swami's efforts in promoting this art should be rewarded in some way *hint* *hint*

rest assured swami has been amply rewarded... ;0

Quote Originally Posted by dzodzo View Post
    i believe swami's efforts in promoting this art should be rewarded in some way *hint* *hint*
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Steve... I was referring more to the interesting modulation scheme you teased us with... not so much the console. If all it is is money that takes things to go into the public domain maybe we/I/someone can start a kickstarter campaign to get it out in the open. It is a real shame all this cool laser artistry knowledge is born, lives, and dies with some people never to be seen again.

On the console note... it would be really great to get to go through an older larger projection system and attempt to come up with some standard configuration that can be reproduced so we all can enjoy tinkering around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Steve, I think you misunderstood the reference to Reason. He was simply demonstrating how an equivalent abstract software synth might work.
    For what it's worth, I see no reason why someone couldn't produce an accurate model of the hardware. It's been going on for a lot of years in the analogue synth market, to the point where they're very good at it, imperfections and all.
    I think that it's just a case of nobody has yet wanted/needed to do it.
    That was exactly my point. I have not doubt that there is a lot going on "under the hood" on those consoles and emulating would be very time consuming for a programmer but the payout, I think, would be rewarding. I agree with Steve that software is too "perfect" but even distortion and flucuations can be emulated. Even Reason has sound destruction units to emulate old equipment.

I have Reason and have even thought of outputting the audio into a pair of scanners. The problem is that it was not designed for that so it would be cumbersome. That and I don't want to fry a pair of galvos by overdriving them. Like I was saying, if there were any programmers out there that would be looking into this, I would definitely buy!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

karl and i have been working on a projection effect....

steve, you know how we did this.

Really cool effect. I would love to see more of that! Looks like you projected through a glass tube or something like that.. maybe through the end of a pilsner?