Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: post your eye melty abstracts here

As far as I’m concerned modern abstracts aren’t “too perfect” they’re TOO MECHANICAL. It’s not that it would be hard to emulate the scanning part of a Laserium console in software; it’s that doing so would be the antithesis of what made Laserium special. (caveat: You can’t do Laserium with one scan pair.)

A number of Laserium Mark IV, VI, 600 and CS control consoles were built. It’s important to note hardly anyone else ever built a number of identical consoles that could actually be played. There was some inspired design in the Laserium consoles. There was also plenty of pretty much what you might expect in terms of quadrature oscillators, 2&4 quadrant multipliers, summing amps, analog switches & multiplexers, VCOs, etc. It’s still a competent system, and has been oddified (?Really Sigmund?) modified over the years to provide new capabilities, but it’s never been just about the hardware – the Laserist has always been in the loop. Doing shows live defined Laserium. Doing the shows live is what made Laserium – not just different – but with a great Laserist BETTER than anything that could be done by someone sitting in a studio. So how did someone become a great Laserist? By doing shows live. By watching, working with, watching, being challenged by, watching, and sharing with other Laserists who performed the shows too. You develop the ability to visualize how something you see is done - REAL TIME - it’s really that simple. It might have been just an accident of the times that Laserium shows were live – we couldn’t afford the technology that would allow recording the shows way back when – and when that technology evolved - we had Laserists whose second pass through a show was better than their first, their Nth pass could be mind blowing, and their Nth+some could blow your mind even farther.. And they learned how to be “those guys” by doing live shows.

Moog didn’t change part of the world’s musical landscape by designing electronics that made sounds. He changed it by hooking the electronics up to a keyboard so musicians could play those sounds. Now, I’m sure there were introverts who took those keyboards into the studio rather than hone their work (and craft!) in front of an audience. I just want to point out to the introverts out there that want to be Laserists – laser shows are done in the dark… – and being out of your comfort zone can lead to great things… Or in the words of John Tilp when the modifications installed the night before for the premier of Laserium Lightyears in St. Louis screwed up Danube in the matinee of Laserium I, “Well do SOMETHING!” Sometimes what you try doesn’t work, but if you strike a chord with the audience – they’ll forgive you if you miss a note here and there.

There’s a lot of hype about what makes a great console great. Laserium I was performed on a console that didn’t have any Burr-Brown chips, had manually trimmed multipliers, and simple open loop scanners. Laserium I ran for 92 weeks in St. Louis and was still selling out on the weekends at the end of its run. It’s not about magic, phases of the moon, or parasitic inductance. It’s about Art.

The reason you rarely see consoles running today is they’re expensive. They’re all prototype level hardware. The potentiometers are expensive, the switches are expensive, and the assembly is expensive. The electronics behind the controls are expensive. And keeping it all running takes its own special kind of ability. And after all that - you still have to learn how to run it…
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Very good point and very well put. I guess I hadn't thought about it that deeply.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with you there.

You seem to be assuming that by emulating the console in software, it automatically becomes a 'studio' production.

Whereas, my first thought in having an emulated console is being able to hook up MIDI/OSC knobs and buttons and actually 'play' the thing, much like lots and lots of synth players actually 'play' their soft synths via a keyboard.

Ok, so it may be easier to recall 'patches' than having to keep a template sheet of all the positions marked (and I still have some reasonably recent ones from my own synth dablings), but I think the whole point of this is to bring the live element back to it.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

You seem to be assuming that by emulating the console in software, it automatically becomes a 'studio' production.

Whereas, my first thought in having an emulated console is being able to hook up MIDI/OSC knobs and buttons and actually 'play' the thing, much like lots and lots of synth players actually 'play' their soft synths via a keyboard.

Ok, so it may be easier to recall 'patches' than having to keep a template sheet of all the positions marked (and I still have some reasonably recent ones from my own synth dablings), but I think the whole point of this is to bring the live element back to it.
    Could I write software that did all the electronic heavy lifting, and interface it to the existing console and play it? Sure. Would there be the temptation to write a less than stellar user interface using mouse, touch screen, and midi this and that. Sure to that too. Would both be prone to single point failures? Yes. Might you have to prove the show was a live performance to someone who claimed you were performing shows with recorded imagery without holding synchronization rights to the music? Quite possibly – and how do you prove a computer centric system can’t be programmed to simply playback a recorded show? And that it didn’t? Don’t get me wrong there’s a place for computers in laser shows, but from my “don’t want to get sued into the ground” point of view - their place isn’t in direct control of the show...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

Is this not already done in DigiSynth?
    leading in trailing technology

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

is digisynth still around? it doesn't look like their website or youtube videos have been updated in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Is this not already done in DigiSynth?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    is digisynth still around? it doesn't look like their website or youtube videos have been updated in a couple of years.
    Yeah, you need to be a forum member, over there to see the latest info. Only rev numbers hit the main site. Or so that is my understanding.
    leading in trailing technology

cool. glad to know it's still around. i wish they would post more cool stuff on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Yeah, you need to be a forum member, over there to see the latest info. Only rev numbers hit the main site. Or so that is my understanding.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Granted, I don't know all that DigiSynth does, but $4k price tag does seem a bit spendy for software. I would be more comfotable in the $1000~$1500 for abstract generation. I know, I know.... Lasers ain't cheap.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

assume ~double that 4k$ once you've also purchased the required accessories.

on the other hand, digisynth does look incredibly cool and i'd love the opportunity to spend some time with one.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Granted, I don't know all that DigiSynth does, but $4k price tag does seem a bit spendy for software. I would be more comfotable in the $1000~$1500 for abstract generation. I know, I know.... Lasers ain't cheap.