Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Söme Surpluss Schtüff...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Probably four. One question about the motors though... Not being an electronics wiz, how difficult is it to change the rotation? I suspect they all spin clockwise. Be nice if there could be a way to make two spin counter-clockwise. I didn't know if there are a couple internal wires that can be swapped to have them turn the other way. Maybe you can only do that with DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    ...One question about the motors though......how difficult is it to change the rotation? ...
    Lemme check into it.. might be a bit tough, tho, since they are sealed units.. I'll see if it's possible to open w/o destruction.. I can-say, tho, that there is at least one of the 8, that is 'opposite' from the others.. we noticed it when it was up on the truss.. I didn't have time, at the moment, to see if - somehow - they had a small bridge / circuit, etc inside, to, ie: 'reverse, every-other connection'.. in other words, plug-in: go-cw; un-plug / re-plug: go-ccw.. that would be nice, but not sure if that's the case, or if we just 'got lucky' that one was set-up, opposing.. Will-advise..

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Lemme check into it.. might be a bit tough, tho, since they are sealed units.. I'll see if it's possible to open w/o destruction.. I can-say, tho, that there is at least one of the 8, that is 'opposite' from the others.. we noticed it when it was up on the truss.. I didn't have time, at the moment, to see if - somehow - they had a small bridge / circuit, etc inside, to, ie: 'reverse, every-other connection'.. in other words, plug-in: go-cw; un-plug / re-plug: go-ccw.. that would be nice, but not sure if that's the case, or if we just 'got lucky' that one was set-up, opposing.. Will-advise..

cheers..
    j
    Sometimes mirror-ball motors swap direction when you turn them off and on. Not sure if this is the case with these.

Lemme know if there's a spare motor left as I just discovered mine has given up the ghost!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    Sometimes mirror-ball motors swap direction when you turn them off and on. Not sure if this is the case with these.
    Correct! Oddly, the OEM never mentioned this, but.. indeed, they must have a small bridge / circuit in there (..I didn't wanna crack one open, but tested all...) and yes, that's just what they do.. must be a cap in there, somewhere, as it takes a couple sec's for the thing to 'reset', before it will-reverse, unless you 'short' the AC-plug lugs... Only a problem if you're trying to quickly flip-flop mirror-ball direction to induce vomiting..

..So, there ya have-it.. 4x MBs, and 4x auto-reversing Motors, all well-packed and ready for a stamp...
    j

PS - here was the 'truss-rig', with safety, we came up with, for anyone wanting to 'DIY' such, for their own road-gigs.. use a ~1/2" thick x 1.5" dia. 'ring' of pvc or alum. tube as a 'spacer', between the mount-board, and the motor, so the clamp bolt-head does not 'crack' / bind the motor.. and so you can-clip on a small d-ring to one of the motor-flange holes, for the safety..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLI_MB_TrussMnt.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	37978

fwiw..
    j

Thanks for taking the time to check that out. Pretty certain my existing one only goes in one direction. PM me a paypal addy. A bank transfer -while I still have the info - is way to costly a method for smaller amounts.

LOL - My banquet captain is gonna hate this! She gets upset enough as it is when I hook up the one mirror ball for an event. If she looks up and see's 5 she'll be apoplectic. Little 65 y.o. pistol of an italian woman (who likes lasers by the way) but just thinks the mirroball effect is too damn old school. "We're too modern (a facility) for that!!"

LOL - My banquet captain is gonna hate this! ...just thinks the mirroball effect is too damn old school. "We're too modern (a facility) for that!!"
    Hah! Well, have you ever 'bathed' her in 'laser-rain'? Best, a tiny scanned circle / color-cycled, not only for 'eye-safe levels', but also for 'multiplication of the beamlets' / color-mods.. Get that room good and fogged / dark, set up some bounce-mirs, so you can scan a tiny-cone on the 'base' of all 4 balls / all 4 sides, each - and you'll have her pirouetting topless in the 'rain', in no time.. ..Sorry, didn't mean to make you refund your lunch..

PM, incoming..
    j

Funny thing is, there is actually something rather sexy about her in a strange sort f way. A topless laser rain dance? That would be amusing.

Funny thing is, there is actually something rather sexy about her in a strange sort f way. A topless laser rain dance? That would be amusing.
    Hahahaaaa let me know when... Wouldn't miss that for the world

Quote Originally Posted by ImageLight View Post
    Hahahaaaa let me know when... Wouldn't miss that for the world
    Mark, I don't think you've actually met Ronnie yet. She's a trip! We bicker like an old married couple to the point where I've been asked if she's my wife. Err... I'd do her.