Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Vs iMac - Possible???

O.K. Guys, a final check before I commit...

I'm going for the 21.5" model as the 27" is just far too large for my desk. I appreciate that I may be sacrificing some degree of upgradability, but I ask myself when was the last time I upgraded a computer?
    I'm going for the maximum RAM that I can configure into the smaller iMac and i've also opted for the Fusion drive to comensate for the hard drive being a 5400RPM (Vs a 7200RPM in the larger iMac), I guess i'll just live with everything else.

So, here's the spec...

Hardware
    3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
    1TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
    Accessory Kit

Any further comments?...
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem,
    I can't fault it, I think it will be a great machine! How far are you from the Sheffield Applestore? If you are close by, I'd get the one to one training. If its too far away, it will be a waste of money though.

Good luck.
    Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Any further comments?...
    Order through this link! http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000748
    £220 saved
    + you get 2 years extra warranty free. (saving £140 for the Apple care).

P.S. Get the 27"!
    + get 16/32GB of RAM from here:
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...02012)&Cat=RAM
    (Another £220 saved)

Total savings: £580

Oh... and it's all legit; as you have a daughter at uni
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Both great machines!...

But the 27" does give you the ability to use the machine as an external monitor too.

Take Dan's advice, and take advantage of the University student discount and the free 3 year warranty - You can get the Uni discount in store, but you won't get the extra warranty. You have to order and have the computer delivered to you to get the extra two years hardware warranty. It is free of charge, and make sure you ask for it, instead of Applecare, which they will try to sell you too.

James
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

Get im Dan! You hold him down and I'll swipe his credit card through the till for the 27" one!
    Jem, maybe it's time to buy a bigger desk.... Plus with your failing eyesight....

You don't want the 27"you need it.... Yeah, I'm your pusher man

Sorry, I'm not helping, just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon after Dan softened you up with the old one two.

Ahem.. As you were

Haha... You lot could make a fortune peddling illegal substances, lol

It's going to be difficult to use my usual excuse on my wife though... "Oh, that old thing?, i've had that for ages"

Good thinking regarding the educational discount though...

Damn you, damn you... Gimme five minutes and i'll post a spec' up for opinions
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Yeah I've got a 22" and it seems so small these days.

Get the big one Jem, if the tv seems small by comparison its because you need a bigger tv!

PS If Janet asks where that came from, you had it in the shed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    The 27" is just far too large for my desk.
    Then you need a bigger desk.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Haha... You lot really crack me up .

Just trying to work out the best way to buy this... Education pricing or through the business... Decisions, decisions...

The biggest virtue of the 27" is the resolution. With 2560x1440 you really can comfortably have two pages open side by side. It's really good for comparing spec sheets, or products from different websites.

If your wife is giving you a "canteen lady Doris look" about the purchase, tell her about this.
    Only use this as a last resort, after showing my girlfriend this, I have to book to use my own computer as it tends to get hogged for shoe shopping or trawling ASOS. "Oh this is so handy, I can compare shoe colours side by side"

Q face palm