Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Single Mode RGB Diode Bundle

This has been helpful. I have a diode bundle project on the back burner, and some of these questions have kept me from powering it up.
    Lasorbs- not all are created equal. It would be helpful if a knowledgeable person could provide the numbers for the Lasorbs for the specific diode wavelength. Pangolin never answered my inquiry.
    Setting the current- Mixedgas warned me about the idiosyncrocies of the drivers and suggested I use a white high power LED on a heatsink as a dummy load to get the current close. Anyone tried this? The manual for the drivers I have says to set the current with the output shorted, but this doesn't make sense to me at all. I would think the driver would go into short protection.
    Thermal- I am using a 1/2" x 2" solid copper bar to mount all three diodes side by side 1 1/4" apart. It was a real pain to machine, but I'm fairly certain it will be sufficient. I bought a undersized 1/2" reamer from McMaster-Carr to insure a really tight fit between the modules and the bar. I had to heat the bar to fit the module bodies. I also used diamond heatsink compound between the bar and the 1/2" aluminum baseplate. As a further precaution, I mounted a solid state temp switch in a TO-220 package on the copper bar- if the bar gets past my preset temp, it shuts down the power supply.

I've notice when unplugging the 12v psu cord from the wall, the badpip driver would jump from the 200ma setting to about 500ma briefly. During this I also had 5v going into the ttl. Looks like I should cut power going to the ttl on the driver before unplugging the psu.

Be careful- turning off the TTL power could cause an unwanted spike.
    I use reed relays to short the TTL inputs to my lasers as well as the scanner amp inputs during my shut down cycle. I got really lucky and found some surplus "make before break" relays.
    Marlin P. Jones has these neat little delay relay boards for $5 that come in really handy. TTL level in and SPDT 10 amp relay out. Sort of a pain to mount, but handy as all get-out.
    Audio power-down discipline dictates the pre-amp (signal source) is the last thing to be turned off. You start with the power amps, and work your way back up the chain. That way, the load is somewhat protected from turn-off thumps. This applies to speakers, scanners, and when you think about it, diode lasers.

Default After thought

I'm not familiar with the diode driver your using, but i'm wondering if it would less abusive to the diodes if the power supply had a "soft turnoff" characteristic.

Hi DTR. You should offer an RGB2 bundle with the newer higher power diodes.