Thread: Cleaning Protected Silver Mirrors

Default Cleaning Protected Silver Mirrors

Hi people

I have been the proud owner of two sets of 506 scanners for the past few months now and very pleased with them.
    My only issue with them is cleaning the protected silver mirrors. I have these mirrors because they where the only 5mm aperture mirrors Bill had at the time. I had to go with them to be ready for a gig in time.

As of yet I have not cleaned them for the fear of doing it wrong and I'm asking for any advice from anyone that has any experience with this type of mirror coating.

Out of experience First Contact is a big no no.
    I got the opportunity to try FC as I had the bad fortune of a broken Y axis mirror when I took delivery of the scanners. (Thanks FedEX) Pangolin was fast to ship a replacement and Rob (stanwax) fitted the replacement for me. The test of FC was performed on a piece of the broken mirror by Rob. FC looked to be OK to use until it came to removing the dried film and the mirror coating came off.

Any advice and don't do's would be most welcome.

Carl
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

Spit ?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

the 3rd image in Steves post here mentions another cleaning 'mix' http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...477#post302477
    I am not saying it will or will not work with Silver,
    Good Luck

Yes OK Andy.

Cheers for link LaserCo.
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    1.3W Laser Harp

use water with a tiny bit of soap in it AFTER you blow the dust off GENTLY. Then carefully remove the water. DON'T DRAG anything on the surface. The corner of a paper towel will remove water droplets. You really should not need to do this often if ever so long as you don't touch the surface and seal your projector from fog fluid. Make sure to not get any water in the bearing

Cheers for that Kecked. I've just found a pdf that suggest a similar practice but to also use an IPA rince.
    http://www.imphotonix.com/precision-...l_Coatings.pdf
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    1.3W Laser Harp

I'd recommend just IPA or methanol on a folded up pointy tip of lens paper. The soapy water is for larger area front surfaced mirrors, when alcohol would evaporate too fast and there's more likely to be contaminants that don't dissolve in alcohol.