Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fogscreen Project

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    sometimes you get those crazy, over the top parents who have too much time reading stuff on the internet. I just make it a habit to steer clear.
    Fair enough. It sounds like your initial plan was to use it for a video projection screen anyway, which wouldn't benefit from the dye being dissolved in the water.
    I actually never use lasers for Halloween. Same with Tesla coils, Jacobs ladders or even dry ice.
    I've done lasers for Halloween a few times, and it has always been well received. DZ and a few others here have done similar things. Of course, I never allow anyone to have physical access to the beams. (Terminated on a screen in a roped-off area, or beams terminating on the roof.) My biggest complaint these days is the time it takes to set it all up, which is the main reason I don't do it anymore.
    does anyone remember the days when our safety was our own resposibility???
    Yeah... I call it my childhood! I grew up playing in an abandon gravel pit, and we also had a tar pit not far from there that we learned to steer clear of on hot days. (Ever get a bike stuck in hot tar? What a mess!)
    If you do decide to build, I can answer any other questions you might have. If time is a villain, I would advise against drinking straws and go with a pre-fabbed laminar filter. Those straws sucked up so much time.
    If the project moves forward, I'll definitely use the pre-fab honecomb material vs stacking all the straws by hand. But thanks for the offer of assistance. I'll keep in touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    There was that idiot selling Rhodamine on Ebay for coloring drinks in bars. What was scary was he did not know which salt he was selling.
    I bought my 6G from none other than Chris Luebner. He knew exactly what he was selling, and he didn't label the package properly. (Big surprise there, right?) Fortunately for everyone there were no leaks, and I got 3 small vials of the stuff. Gave 2 of them away and kept one for myself. Even after over a decade, I still have plenty left. (At least an ounce and a half - maybe more.)

Neat stuff, but yeah - wear proper PPE if you're going to handle it in pure form.

Adam

Actually, now that I think about it, tonic water may work. Quinine fluoresces blue under UV. The carbonation would need to be released from the water or it will foam badly.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I think Visine fluoresces.

Tonic water does fluoresce under common "black light". It's had to convince the kids to drink it, but the parents managed to finish it off and then some. One problem is that it doesn't dilute well. It must be at a pretty low concentration already. But quinine sulfate may not be listed as toxic (I don't know) and may be pretty easy to get.

Yes, many dyes are downright nasty in their concentrated form, but even so, when was the last time you heard of someone getting cancer because they worked with a dye cell on a laserscope? In fact, I'm pretty sure that Eric (planters) has a dye cell on his laserscope.. So Eric, which do you fear more? The dye, or the many kilowatts of pulsed IR that is in the cavity?
    I know what your getting at, but no one else gets near that or the even more dangerous multi-joule FLPD with out serious restrictions as well as eye ware. I think the problem here is once again the promoted misunderstanding of risk. Let's not even mention some jerk named Bloomberg. There is a significant chance that there will be some little tike with asthma who "was made much worse by that stuff they sprayed on her". It takes some of the fun out of it, but I think I would avoid the need to convince everyone that it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Tonic water does fluoresce under common "black light"
    As a fan of the combination of gin and tonic, I can confirm that a low-power 405nm pointer makes for an impressive display when shone through quinine.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just saw you can get honeycomb quite cheap for laser cutters, it is only 1" thick but I bet with some clever work you could stack a few layers and get something passable. Certainly easier than stacking thousands of soda straws! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-Bed-Re...item25853a3204

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I also read something about tonic water flourescing recently and tried it with a black light... it was suggested to use diet tonic if anyone else tries it - especially for this. It's less sticky for clean up.

I'm thinking of building one of these as well. I'm thinking of using squirrel cage fans instead of PC fans. I think I'd get better CFM out of them, they are cheaper, and thats what I've seen in the commercial units. Any thoughts on that?

And I like the idea of using the transducers, I was going to use a 1300 watt fogger, but I think with the residue left behind it would gum up the inner workings eventually, and the transducers just seem much cooler =D

Total CFM is important but the most important thing is uniformity. The same amount of air needs to flow at the same velocity at every single point of the fogscreen. That is the only way to maintain a decent laminar flow. This is one of the reasons why I used so many fans. It's also the reason why the commercial units use so many. The fans span the length of the fogscreen and the air is easy to filter and smooth out. I'm not telling you to not use a squirrel cage but I can't tell you how it will work.

Good luck with your project and you can ask as many questions as you like!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Subbing -- anyone used the powerfull 12 vdc fans from the Kasio PJs= all came with 4 of those-not too loud but move a lot of air. I used 9 of them joined into a square that fit perfectly on top of an Argon ML - BUT still had to limit any running at 10 A(making 148mW) to short runs as it still can overheat and shut down.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-