Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOW IS IT DONE!!!!

I can't see how the adapter in the photo on that auction would work with an RGB, but maybe if you order for an RGB he sends you something different to what's pictured... The seller is a member on this forum, so probably a trustworthy guy... Maybe send him a PM and see what he says...

But in my experience, you need at least 11 pins for an RGB laser. R+, R-, G+, G-, B+, B-, X+, X-, Y+,Y- and GND... I also have interlock and DMX connected to ILDA on my RGB's, so I would need 15 pins...

Like I say, I use QM2000.Net's and have never needed to make these adaptors, so maybe there is some clever trick I don't know about, but I can't see a logical way to carry RGB signals down a single Ethernet cable...

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I guess he uses the GND pin instead of R-, G- and B-, and probably instead of X- and Y- as well. That would only cost 7 pins at the expense of the differential signals.

The proper way would of course be a real ethernet DAC such as the QM.net, the Etherdream, the Netlase, Fiesta.net, and whatever DACs I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    I guess he uses the GND pin instead of R-, G- and B-, and probably instead of X- and Y- as well. That would only cost 7 pins at the expense of the differential signals.
    Good point...

a passive use of cat6 will not work for 300' of cable. Figure out the drop in such a cable. You need a buffer to send the signal and it has to be differential. I am not sure if Pangolin uses true differential anymore since 90% of the world doesn't even know what differential means. You might make it seem to work but take a look at what comes out the other end of he cable. It might work for beams but graphics will not look right as the signal will be low pass filtered. You essentially have a stretched out inductor.

At 100mhz the drop for 300' is 20db your down around 100-500khz max so it will be less but even if it is only 3db that is 50% of the signal. The cable is also 14pf/ft and 100ohm/foot average is 100uh/ft figure out the filter that makes! Not good. If you put a buffer on it and do differential then all or most of it goes away and you get noise immunity BUT. you only have 4 pairs so that isn't enough x,y,r,b,g you need one more pair for 10 wires in 5 pair.

I am pretty sure someone makes an ilda to true Ethernet or optical fiber convertor. Even then cat6 is only good for 100M or 300' not 300M so you are back to optical using really small diameter fiber.
    At the least, send the x,y differential and buffr and send the rgb single also buffered. You at least have a chance and might be able to recondition the color signal on the other end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ILDA-to-UTP-...#ht_421wt_1399 If you keep the run under say 20' it would probably be fine.

"The seller is a member on this forum, so probably a trustworthy guy... " Hmmmm not so sure of that anymore. At one time I would never have made such a comment but with all that is going on I have very few I trust without question anymore. I however don't know laserwinkel so I am not aiming this at that person.

I'm curious to know how its possible I think I might email Pangolin and ask them if its true we all could save a lot of money on cables that's for sure 100meters on ebay cat 5 $45 wow now that's a saving....
    But even if I went out today and bought the plugs I still don't know the sequence to put them in... Big mystery to me..... Google isn't any help may be its trial and error.... If anyone knows or works it out that information would be great for the members....
    Photonlexicon FTP Server.

This works well for me.. Only need to run 1 cat5 to the stage and a short ilda to each dac.
    http://www.icron.com/products/icron-...0-ranger-2204/

For distances beyond 100 meters, they do make a fiber adapter rated for 10km

The basic adapters are ok, but the number of cables necessary start piling up when running multiple dac's.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If you have a operator at each end, you can also use SMPTE time code. Pangolin sells the boxes. Around 300$ each. SMPTE will fit into a phone line or FM radio channel, so it can be used over 10s of miles. Been there, done that, got the Tee shirt.

Before you get all excited about laser over Ethernet cable, unless you use two pairs, you just tossed out all the noise rejection inherent in the ILDA standard. Pangolin is still supporting differential for X-Y, for a reason.

A lesson learned the hard way is to test all this stuff with the wire running the full distance and uncoiled. In the venue, long before the gig.

Attached is a scan of the ILDA Standard Analog Drivers, the recommended circuit. A couple of OP-Amps and one of those little 12-0-12 V supply modules like used on the sound card DAC level shifters gets you the ability to drive a very long cable. All of this would fit in a 2" by 2" by 1" box at each end of the cable.

If you got the funding, you could always get a Transcoder, there is/was one on Ebay lately. http://www.raven-systems.com/products.html

"You can't go the distance with too much resistance"
    Billy Joel,

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ILDADRIVER.pdf  

Last edited by mixedgas; 06-01-2013 at 04:50.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

X+, X-, Y+, Y-, R, G, B and Gnd makes 7 pins so that would still be possible. You'd need a solution for the safety switch though.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Before you all get too happy remember CAT 5 is solid copper, unshielded, and breaks easily. One 120 pound girl with a 4 inch spiked heal can kill it.

With no shielding, noise pickup from moving lights, speaker array, and cell phones is a issue.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...