Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .NET box solution needed

You find me a DJ that believes red lights = BAD on a mixer!
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	526771_302985633163696_392142274_n.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	38604

But seriously, Ethercon's are the way forward... I never had a problem with them, solid as a rock...

I have never used an Ethercon connector. How would you modify the .Net to accept an Ethercon connector? Would you need to remove the RJ45 from the PCB and replace with the Ethercon socket? Which version of Ethercon would you use?

Cheers
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    Replace the ethernet connection for Neutric EtherCon connector...
    Neutric connectors are amazing.
    Neat!

Is there a direct replacement Neutric EtherCon for the wiznet? If so, I'm getting it.

At this club there is no going into the red. It's a 70k W Funktion-One system, for a 700 person capacity club. At 40k W we all go deaf.

Ok, so the problems I have faced mainly relate to Ethernet cables popping out when lighting guys decide to shove kit out the way, or trip over them during setup (we all know how flat UTP cable doesn't sit)...
    One instance, I just set up 16 beams and chases, just as I'm about to save them, the network drops. Lighting guy had shoved the QM along a couple of inches to store an empty case... Before you ask, the QM was sat on top of an amp rack...
    Another night I was doing a Kissy Sellout gig and his entourage decide to feed my QM's with beer, by sticking half empty cans all over them, which inevitably fall over under sound pressure...
    Then there was the night similar to Phredy1's experience. It was a closing night of a legendary rave club and they had 60k of Funktion One (Just a slight overkill)... Consequently, the Ethernet dropped a few times... Of course, there was only one fix on the night... You guessed it, Gaffa Tape Hey!! It worked...

Since then, I have mounted the QM's in a rack, with DMX mergers and spitters and an 8 port switch... Now everything stays cabled up in the case, all I need to do is run ILDA's to the projectors and Ethernet to FOH...

The trick is, el cheapo RJ45's... I make my own cables and use the real cheap RJ45 connectors... With these, you give them an extra squeeze with the crimp tool and they wedge in the sockets tight as a very tight thing... For the FOH connection, I use an Ethercon with Duracat carrying Ethernet and eStop signals to/from FOH... Duracat always lays flat, is tough as old boots, and the Ethercon never drops out, even if someone does yank it during setup...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	319364_10151276011223916_479598581_n.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	38666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0242.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	38667

The problem I face is the only time it ever gets that loud at this club (it's a steady gig) is when something big is happening. To experiment with gaff tape kinda fixes is, if it don't work it's a high profile fail....

I wish there was maybe a USB option with the .NET boxes along with ethernet. I know they weren't designed that way, but for the times when I don't have a long run, I'd like to use USB. I've never had one problem using USB.

I know they weren't designed that way, but for the times when I don't have a long run, I'd like to use USB. I've never had one problem using USB.
    Buy an FB3 perhaps?

I'm going the other way, I'm adding cat5 to my FB3 setup to avoid 100's of metres of ILDA (in triplicate!) from FoH.
    I'll be using one of the (ever more popular) 'digital snakes' on a drum for my cat5 (where it's not already installed in the venue) as it's better sheathed and more durable. These come fitted with Ethercon, which I won't be able to use because my USB extender has regular RJ45 ports (I'll probably just make up small jumpers)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

What about hot-gluinging the sh*t together? If the installation is permanent, then I would go for the quick fix.
    Best regards
    Jan Thogersen

I'd go with a combination of the above suggestions.

Hot Glue an RJ45 to Ethercon jumper into the .NET box and use an Ethercon snake for your main cable run...

Then jumper it back to RJ45 at the laptop end?

Saves irrevocably modifying your .NET box. :-)
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?