Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2013 LSO Course thread.

Ok, so we have Len, Rick, and one person (new tech) from X-Laser. Also, Araugh has suggested that if we are really close, he'd be willing to take the class again to ensure we have enough people to make it happen.

So that means we still need a minimum of 2 more people to sign up for the class in order to have enough people. Time is getting short folks! If you want your LSO certification, this is the best (and by far the cheapest) way to get it. So sign up now!

Adam

I am in the process of encouraging a new SELEM attendee '532 w/envy" to come to SELEM and take the LSO.

I will be in the conference room right after the take-down/load out is over-

Those who care to join me can be working as a group for a few hours on LSO info sharing.

I will see if any LSOs are willing to help us out a little-
    If you have great printed material the front desk (i think) will make copies for all-

we can share links and MPE etc. calculators on line-- if you dont know all the answers you had better know where to find them--

if you have any links right now plz post them here--

the PL wiki is loaded with info and links--

ALSO be packed and ready to check OUT before the class starts- or you will be rushing around doing that while the rest of us are eating lunch- put your stuff on a cart and ask the front desk where to store it during the class you cannot leave it on their carts.

I will need a (free) spot on the floor of someones room/suite for SUNDAY night- if you can help me out with that PLEASE let me know- or I may be sleeping in the conference room.

same deal for Thursday nite- my room is reserved for two nites only Fri & Sat.

I am a quite sleeper (CPAP Machine)and will be very considerate ..

EDIT UPDATE

'532w/envy' will not be able to attend SELEM or the LSO course this year- he does want to still take LSO but it will have to be in 2014 at SELEM if it is offered.
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 06-26-2013 at 13:17.

The speed of light in meters per second is 299,792,458.
    In centimeters--29,979, 245,800,001,9
    c0) = 29 979 245 800.00 019 centimeters per second (cm/sec).

About 5.9 trillion miles in one year.

When does light refract or bend?
    Light refracts or bends when it leaves one medium and enters another one (i.e. when it goes from air to water; when it goes from glass...

Photons do not travel through time. This is due to the fact that the faster you travel through space, the slower you travel through...

Lightning's maximum speed is just short of
    30 centimeters per one-million-th of a second.

Answer:
    Light is said to travel at 186,000 miles (rounded off) per second.
    There are 60 seconds in a minute : 60 x =11,160,000
    60 minutes in an hour : 60 x = 669,600,000
    24 hours in a day : 24 x =16,070,400,000
    365 days in a year X =5,865,696,000,000
    thus..One light year: 5,865,696,000,000 miles per year or or 5.865 trillion miles.

Why is the speed of light 299,792,458 meters per second?

You may think that a lot of things are fast, like speeding bullets and Superman and the passage of time when you are having fun. But all of these things are nothing compared to the speed of light, which is the fastest that something can travel through the Universe. The speed of light is sometimes referred to as the “cosmic speed limit”. Light travels in a vacuum at 186,282.4 miles per second or 299,792,458 meters/second. For simplicity, it is often said that these numbers are 186,000 miles per second, and 3.00 x 10^8 meters per second.

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/43806/h...#ixzz2YIgzKdgO

How fast is this in normal terms? Well, the record for the fastest aircraft is held by the Boeing x-43 scramjet. Scramjets are single-use unmanned aircraft designed to go at hypersonic speeds. The x-43 traveled at 12,144 km/h (7,546 mph), or Mach 9.8, on November 16th, 2004. That is .000405% of the speed of light. And this is a jet that can travel from New York to Los Angeles in 20 minutes. While it takes photons about 8 minutes to travel the distance from the Sun to the Earth – at its furthest, 152 million km (94.4 million miles) – this scramjet traveling at its maximum speed would take about 522 days!
    The speed of light is really fast, and at this speed some bizarre things start to happen. First off, photons can only travel this speed because they have zero rest mass, meaning that if you were to somehow trap a photon and put it on a scale, it would have no mass. It’s virtually impossible for something with mass to travel this speed, because as you get faster and faster, it takes more and more energy to get you to the speed of light, which makes you heavier, which requires more energy, etc. Time also changes when you get to these speeds. If you left the Earth going the speed of light, then came back around and landed, you would perceive time as moving normally, but when you returned it would seem as if time sped up for everybody on the Earth, and all of your friends and family would be much, much older.
    The speed of light is not constant in all materials, though, and can be slowed down. Here’s an excellent article on how researchers can slow down the speed of light by passing it through different materials, with the slowest speed being 38 miles per hour!
    To learn more about the speed of light – and there is a lot, lot more to learn, check out the Astronomy Cast questions shows from October 26, 2008, June 4, 2009 and September 26, 2008, or the Physics section in the Guide to Space.
    Sources:
    Wikipedia
    NASA

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/43806/h...#ixzz2YIh7J4Ef

__ Got all this from sources like wiki

IIRC the last Q in the EXAM- may be one that can be answered in the above.

SPECIAL THANKS to Brad for sending me
    info that will , for sure, help me .. -

high five and bro hug for Brad!!

I hope several more will join us in this course and exam- Lawsuits involving injuries at laser shows are getting more in number, not less & just having a LSO on staff or at least involved with your shows may be helpful to any company--These suits are decided upon a 'preponderance of evidence' NOT 'beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Recent events involving demonstrators lasing aircraft(mainly helicopters) demonstrate just how common ownership of high power green and blue handhelds are. IMHO the percentage would be higher in the USA than other countries..
    it is not much of an exaggeration to see someone setting up a fake incident created by two people with one having a handheld- those 'strangers' sitting near the person claiming to have gotten injured, would make damning witnesses.

Vid-Cams` properly used could be one way to protect the laser show company. If 100% of the audience were taped and time-stamped proof of the origin of the offending laser would be enough to cause a suit to be dropped- AND that is what you want- not just winning a lawsuit as that alone would be very very expensive. IMO.

While the cost to take the class and a salary for an on-staff LSO would not be 'cheap' it would still be justified in the event of just one lawsuit.

haks two cents
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 07-09-2013 at 11:35.

Hi, I have finally found some funding to help me pay for the course. Count me in (If I"m not too late)... I see this as a ticket to go help out my friends in the business, so totally worth it... Might have to camp out in a hammock somewhere to save on hotel costs though...

Good to hear!!

I have been studying for this for some time- those that do not may find passing the exam very difficult I am told.

Other LSO courses cost much more and take many days to complete.

If you fail the first time (~50% fail) you can take ONLY the exam another time for free.. I think we are only given two hours to take the test- we CAN use our notes and books and PCs but unless you know where to find the answers quickly passing may not happen. the 8 hr course is akin to just reading the table on contents in a text book as opposed to reading all of every chapter.
    A few of us will be studying while at SELEM- we will meet at the HIExpress each night and especially Sunday nite in the conference room.
    Google 'Laser safety officer'+

At PL wiki there is info.... some at ILDA- Pangolin-I paid 100$ for a used addition of a laser safety text book (1000+pages)-- you should have a scientific calculator already loaded in your laptop- you need to know a lot about MPE and the anatomy of the eye.
    IIRC Brad also has the same textbook- you might want to 'rent' it from Brad-- send him the shipping $$ and you can give it back in person-- I would look into that ASAP.
    I look fwd to meeting you...Len
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 07-09-2013 at 11:34. Reason: spellin'

I will get in touch with Patrick today and get him to set up the registration page on the ILDA website for the LSO class. We are within 1 person of making the total, and I just found out who that last person might be, so in my book that's close enough. I need to get the ball rolling.

Adam

I have set up the ILDA Online Store so you can now sign up for the 2013 SELEM Laser Safety Officer class taught by Greg Makhov on Mon. August 19.

The LSO course fee for ILDA Members is $395 through 31 July and $445 August 1 or later. The course fee for non-Members is $445 through 31 July, and $495 August 1 or later. For any person who has previously taken, but not passed, the LSO course, the re-take fee is $65 -- note that you can only re-take once at this lower price. The SELEM LSO fee does NOT include food during lunch and breaks. Additional information on the course topics etc. is at the ILDA LSO course webpage.

To reach the store, go to the ILDA Online Store.

Here is what the class looks like on the Online Store page:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 2013-07-10 at 1.01.31 PM.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	39129

To buy, you first need to register both yourself and your company in our database. Even if you don't have a company, ILDA has two records for everyone -- one for the contact person and one for the registered Member or organization (this can be either a company or an individual). Sorry the registration is a bit clunky, but that is how the database needs it.

If you have already registered with ILDA, please don't re-register -- just log in using the email and password you used the first time you registered. If you are not sure if you're in the database, do a search in the left-hand menu for your name:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 2013-07-10 at 1.07.07 PM.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	39130

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to write me at mail@laserist.org or call me at +1 407-797-7654.

Thanks, and I hope to see you in Newton!

-- Patrick Murphy, ILDA

A glorious clearing in my schedule has opened up. Count me in!

Good News..

see you there.........Len

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    A glorious clearing in my schedule has opened up. Count me in!
    Are you going to be talking the LSO course as well?

Adam