Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Noob Help - Software for Laser

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    I think you can literally open a CTN file in a text editor, search for "CRTN" and replace it with "ILDA"
    I don't think this will work.

If you are trying to deal with an 8 bit binary file as text, the text editor will do all kinds of weird things while both opening and saving the file.

Text editors usually only work with 7 bit ASCII and they always respond to the control characters as control characters.

You might get away with doing a global substitution in a genuine HEX editor.

If you can prove that all you need to do is exchange a few bytes in the headers, then I could cook up a very reliable conversion utility in LaserBoy.

That would be trivial, I think.

If it is in fact the case that they just swapped out a few ASCII characters in the headers of ILDA format 0, the reason they did it was to separate their format from the generic standard and so that they do not need to comply with any of the "correct" ILDA format standards.

James.
    Last edited by james; 06-16-2015 at 11:41.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Well look at that, there is actually a very basic tracing functionality in that program!

Unzip the first .rar, it should contain a setup.msi. Run that and it should install (and unpack the other rar files automatically as well).

You are right James, it's pretty picky about its headers. It's exactly identical to Ilda headers except frame and company name should all be empty (byte 0) and the first four bytes read CRTN. Point count, frame count and total frames is identical to the ilda header. It's indeed not that hard to create something that converts between the two file formats.
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 06-16-2015 at 13:46.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Made something that does just that:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...300#post314300