Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UV cure lamp and adhesive

You might want to consider getting dual cure (either time+UV or heat+UV) so that glue behind opaque surfaces cures, that was the biggest problem that I ran into with my expedition into using UV cure epoxy. It can also be worth it to get the ceramic filled epoxies as they shrink much less when cured, although with careful application of the UV light you can mitigate most of the shrinkage effects by making sure to cure both sides equally.

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    You might want to consider getting dual cure (either time+UV or heat+UV) so that glue behind opaque surfaces cures, that was the biggest problem that I ran into with my expedition into using UV cure epoxy. It can also be worth it to get the ceramic filled epoxies as they shrink much less when cured, although with careful application of the UV light you can mitigate most of the shrinkage effects by making sure to cure both sides equally.
    Hi krazer, what parts would you consider opaque? Would any coatings on optics attenuate the uv enough to cause a problem?

Thanks
    Kit

Most optics should be OK (although ones which reflect blue/uv might pose an issue if you are trying to cure the glue between the coating and a piece of metal), but anything which is opaque (gluing 2 pieces of metal together for example) will only cure around the edges and leave a layer of uncured glue between the pieces.

Ah, sweet. I'll just be glueing optics to metal for the moment.

I can see that the duel cure you mentioned being quiet useful.

I imagine the uv cure part will help give a quick hold around the edges to position the part and then the time/heat part glues the mating surfaces more securely.

Do you know of any specific products to look at?

What are the advantages over using epoxies?