Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just tinkering with something 638nm RED 8W and bright as hell.

WOW, that is some questions.

In short, it is customized by a company, Mitsu supplied the bars to that company, as I wrote the lens is custom fabricated for beam combining, not at all off the shelf standard product.

one axis is very ok, the other is fine too but they suffer from a lot of mess due to wings from the emitters and the lens setup is not looking so perfect.

2mrad is on the 1mm axis. the 4mm axiz divergence is too small to measure.

It all looks perfect but the beam is very noisey and might need a good pinhole type of idea to clean it up.

My involvement is to solve it and given the diodes only arrived a few days ago I am only just starting

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Andy,

What is your involvement? Did the company that fabricated these obtain the Mitsu diodes and then custom mount them with the lenses? Or, is this a custom product directly from Mitsu? You said the divergence is 2mrad at 1mm x 4mm. Is that 2mrad in both axis despite the asymmetric beam or is this the divergence in one of the two axises? Can you show some images of the far field pattern? The high current and 2V drop implies these have as many as 16 of the typical 500mW diodes on the bar.

What do you need to do with this? I mean re tinkering with the lenses. What kind of testing are you planning to do? I would be interested in looking at these and evaluating the effect of cooling on power and wavelength. This might be more complicated than the single Mitsu's because of the FAC and other epoxied optics. Are they for sale? Will the company fabricate these on demand?

so, how many zeros do i need to add to get a feeling of the price?

(just posting to track)
    "its called character briggs..."

Hi Andreas,

You are assuming these are the same without knowing what I have in my hand.

Ahh they look the same so they must be the same.

indeed Dilas do a similar product that uses mitsu 8W bars but these are not at all from Dilas.

Quote Originally Posted by andythemechanic View Post
    This array is 20x the ML501p73 in a row. You can buy it here: http://dilas.de/pages/products.php?category=1&series=1
    Regarding Beam quality it is also 20x the ML501p73, no surprises here.

Andreas

Not as many as your smiling faces

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    so, how many zeros do i need to add to get a feeling of the price?

(just posting to track)

hey! that's good news then!!
    a sub 1000 source for plenty of 638? can this be for real?
    "its called character briggs..."

Guys, these have been in development for over a year, they are very custom and only two exist at the moment.

I had them in my hand just a few days and while the beam spec is looking good, it is far from perfect.

I found a solution for the Mitsubishi diodes so that Red became far cheaper for everyone; I am confident of a good result here too but we have to see.

Tamed it is, clean it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    It all looks perfect but the beam is very noisey and might need a good pinhole type of idea to clean it up.
    Granted, my understanding of pinholes is not that great and I am quite possibly wrong but if I remember correctly, pinholing has to be done at a decent distance away from the collimator or you will lose luminosity but not necessarily achieve a better beam. I was wondering if a 3mm fiber would work. Basically grabbing the core of the beam in the fiber while letting the trash go around the outside of it. I know that would probably be finicky and a little lossy with the fiber and then collimating again after the fiber, but with 8W and possibly higher, even a 20% loss would still be acceptable. Just a thought.... probably very impractical though.

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    hey! that's good news then!!
    a sub 1000 source for plenty of 638? can this be for real?
    Do I smell a GB coming on? I am in for 1!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I was also thinking of fiber but it would not help as the emitter would become the exit diameter of the fiber core. Great for creating a searchlight.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Granted, my understanding of pinholes is not that great and I am quite possibly wrong but if I remember correctly, pinholing has to be done at a decent distance away from the collimator or you will lose luminosity but not necessarily achieve a better beam. I was wondering if a 3mm fiber would work. Basically grabbing the core of the beam in the fiber while letting the trash go around the outside of it. I know that would probably be finicky and a little lossy with the fiber and then collimating again after the fiber, but with 8W and possibly higher, even a 20% loss would still be acceptable. Just a thought.... probably very impractical though.

Do I smell a GB coming on? I am in for 1!

Andy,

I know these are a lot of questions but, they are good ones. I also thought they were Dilas as they look a lot like their product, but then who 's are they? Please don't play coy. If we can get access to these they might be worth comparing both for price and for performance against the Dilas product. I have cooled mitsu's successfully to LN2 temps and every one of my projectors uses spatial filtering. Even the lab lasers I build include inter-cavity apertures.

And... I share my results. This is exciting as you have described it. Please, in the interest of mutual enlightenment let us help. Where did you get these?

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Andy,
    I know these are a lot of questions but, they are good ones. I also thought they were Dilas as they look a lot like their product
    They look like a product from many suppliers that are also using a conduction cooled package; and of course the electrical specs will also be similar given the diode bars are similar.