Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a laser to cut acrylic in a DIY CNC machine.

Absolutely. And make sure it's flued to the outside (preferably through a filter)
    In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite - Paul Dirac

... for getting rid of soldering- and laser-fumes i've mounted some 120mm-tubes to the ceiling and connected to a tube-ventilator in one of the windows -- so when in need for exhausting some 'harmless' vapours or fumes I'm simply attaching an elastic 60mm-tube to the 120mm-tube over the specific work-place and start the ventilator.

For 'serious' laser fumes (or toxic vapours) I'm using a comercial charcoal absorber (shown here in the last image) -- but for security reasons I'm feeding the (filtered) output through the 120mm-vent too ...

Viktor

Her

i use co2 for free hand work on wood.. I have shop vac blowing over the cutting head and blowing away the fumes. a large shop fan is at my back also. I prefer not to burn any plastics unless I have strong cross wind on work surface to away from me. shop is on screened in area open to outside. a phart fan attached to your safety hood would work great if you are inside.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1814 View Post
    a phart fan
    That made me LOL
    In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite - Paul Dirac

A phart fan is what plumbers and electricans call the bathroom vent fan in a home or apartment here in florida]. it makes good exhuast for unwanted fumes

Here is the thread I mentioned before.

Enjoy
    Kit

Hi Kit

Seems there is no link in your post

I am busy pricing some CO2 lasers at the moment(40Watt) and am wiating for feedback from suppliers with regards to shipping to South Africa. Will keep you guys informed.

Thanks
    X

Ah, that would be due to my incompetence

Here you go
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-of-Grey-445nm

Hi All,

My first post here, nice site, nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by Xproximity View Post
    It looks as though I am going to have to go the CO2 route then, just contacted one of the local suppliers and they charge about $400 for a 40Watt "Reci" tube and $350 for the power supply.
    Xproximity
    Get some specific assurances from your supplier. Reci has a good reputation for long life CO2 laser tubes with 'hard sealed' ends (impressive metal mirror alignment mounts that do not need cooling). However they do not make tubes smaller than 80/90 W so I would be a bit suspicious of the 40W tube you have been offered. It may be a perfectly good tube and just misrepresented.

http://www.recilaser.com/en/products.htm

Have as look on eBay at the prices for smaller tubes and PSU's and decide if you want to gamble of getting one direct. The cncoletech seller seems to have a good track record with a few others.

http://stores.ebay.com/CNCOLETECH

You can get a tube and PSU for US$290 + US$100 shipping + local duty + VAT It should still be quite a bit less than the US$750 you were quoted but your support would be in China.

I may have a spare open frame PSU I could sell or swap for a tube, shipping two tubes from China may be the same cost as shipping one and make it attractive. Ordering you lenses and mirrors at the same time would not add to the shipping cost.

Also check out the links on the page
    http:// reprap.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter...milar_projects

Complete 40W 300x200 mm engravers start at US$700 + shipping direct from China. They retail locally for US$2000++.
    Last edited by KalleP; 09-15-2013 at 03:30. Reason: typo
    Kalle
    --
    Johannesburg, South Africa

+1 on needing a CO2 laser. We use 50-240 watt systems to cut and engrave acrylic and other materials. With a 100 watt laser we can cut up to 1/2" acrylic. You can see some of the things we make. http://www.lasercuttinginc.us/home/lasercut

Good luck on your search!