Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a laser to cut acrylic in a DIY CNC machine.

Quote Originally Posted by pgeorge777 View Post
    +1 on needing a CO2 laser. We use 50-240 watt systems to cut and engrave acrylic and other materials. With a 100 watt laser we can cut up to 1/2" acrylic. You can see some of the things we make. http://www.lasercuttinginc.us/home/lasercut

Good luck on your search!
    George Pm coming your way.

When I was first testing out my DIY laser cutter, I used a 445nm diode. It could cut paper and engrave wood, but that was about it's limits. A 40W tube will cut 6mm acrylic OK, but pretty slowly. My tube is rated at 50W (but I have no way of testing), and I can cut 6mm fairly cleanly at around 6mm/s, while for 3mm acrylic I can go about 10mm/s.

Air assist is a must, and whatever you do, don't try cutting PVC! And yes, venting is an absolute must. I made the mistake of trying to cut ABS before researching, it melted and even with exhaust, the tiny bit that leaked into my garage gave me a nasty headache for over an hour. I later discovered I was breathing hydrogen cyanide - lovely!

Do lots and lots of research, there's plenty of info out there

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    When I was first testing out my DIY laser cutter, I used a 445nm diode. It could cut paper and engrave wood, but that was about it's limits. A 40W tube will cut 6mm acrylic OK, but pretty slowly. My tube is rated at 50W (but I have no way of testing), and I can cut 6mm fairly cleanly at around 6mm/s, while for 3mm acrylic I can go about 10mm/s.

Air assist is a must, and whatever you do, don't try cutting PVC! And yes, venting is an absolute must. I made the mistake of trying to cut ABS before researching, it melted and even with exhaust, the tiny bit that leaked into my garage gave me a nasty headache for over an hour. I later discovered I was breathing hydrogen cyanide - lovely!

Do lots and lots of research, there's plenty of info out there
    At our shop we have 7 1 HP industrial blowers going into a 3 story high stack that ventilates our exhaust. Even though it's not my choice material for cutting, we do cut PVC stuff. Here's a look at some items:

http://www.lasercuttinginc.us/indserv/signlogo

The key is the proper exhaust.