Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: WANTED WAV to ILDA CONVERTER.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I received a screen shot today. This is looking good.

Steve
    Very cool, looking forward to the results, though still like pushing play on an hd24 and not having to load up software. I went crazy converting some and tweaking lcadat till it was right, still shifting samples afterward in sequoia.
    leading in trailing technology

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

LCADAT likes to look for pedestals in the Pangolin graphics, created by older Pangolin systems. Its a good program but it seems to key off those pedestals. Back then color only needed a 3-5 point blanking shift for the PCAOM. I'll ask my favorite coder about global shifting forward for diode.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it's not hard to do the color shift in audacity before conversion, but it is a slow process of trial and error. doing it in the conversion software with a real time preview window would be all kinds of better.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    LCADAT likes to look for pedestals in the Pangolin graphics, created by older Pangolin systems. Its a good program but it seems to key off those pedestals. Back then color only needed a 3-5 point blanking shift for the PCAOM. I'll ask my favorite coder about global shifting forward for diode.

Steve
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

The preview window seems to be working from the screenshot

STEVE

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Very cool, looking forward to the results, though still like pushing play on an hd24 and not having to load up software. I went crazy converting some and tweaking lcadat till it was right, still shifting samples afterward in sequoia.
    I played around with lcadat for a while, it is very much a pain to get things just right, but it does work very well. Unless you change blanking offset or pause the show, then timing in the show would be off unless you restarted it. So I gave up, the wave stuff works just fine and audacity is great for not only changing blanking shift but also adding offsets and some other minor clean up work.

Greetings from Kobenhavn airport, during a layover. Offset is easy, for each channel you can set the DC offset using an on screen Oscope view. We shall see on the blanking timing.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    I have LC-ADAT, unfortunately due to the way it functions it's quite the pain to use (dumps frames to memory so once you are out of ram you are SOL)
    You'd need to be specific about what's such a pain. There is virtually no documentation, but nevertheless it is meant to be easy to use, and as little as three, fully-automated steps (each one initiated by a single button). Yes id "dumps frames to memory", but if you have 512MB (which we will gladly sell you for not a lot of money), then you can do a full 30-minute ADAT show.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I played around with lcadat for a while, it is very much a pain to get things just right, but it does work very well.
    See, I beg to differ... There are a lot of settings that we have put in there for flexibility (including literally everything discussed here and more), but as with everything else we do, the default settings should work well.

Every single year I convert Doug McCullough's shows from ADAT to Pangolin. (Some of Doug's shows involve the use of a self-made analog abstract generator that he uses to perform the laser shows to music in real time.) All I do is press the "red" button (to record from his ADATs into Wave files), then press the next two buttons (I am home now, not in front of the screen, and forget what the next two are, but the last one is like "convert to LD format") and it works. So my own experience is -- three mouse clicks and it's done.

For years LC-ADAT was used for the ILDA Awards, where the ILDA Artistic Chairman converted the submissions to Pangolin for easy, singular-system playback during judging and presentation. Again -- three mouse clicks per piece and you're done...

So I'm not sure what could be so hard about it. It always worked perfectly for me and I know Jay Heck uses it, along with Mike Dunn, the folks at AVI and other avid ADAT users...

By the way, LC-ADAT is also built into the latest build of BEYOND but without the "record" function. That version only has the ability to select waveforms and then convert. And Steve's interpretation of how it works is entirely wrong. There are no "pedestals" or anything else...

Bill

I never realized there was a record function in my LD2000 version, i'll have to look later again, I assume it will read the ADAT ASIO card if it can do a record? I had been loading WAV files I either offloaded from a HD24, or recorded in using Magix Sequoia. Will have to try the more direct route if I understood correctly. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    You'd need to be specific about what's such a pain. There is virtually no documentation, but nevertheless it is meant to be easy to use, and as little as three, fully-automated steps (each one initiated by a single button). Yes id "dumps frames to memory", but if you have 512MB (which we will gladly sell you for not a lot of money), then you can do a full 30-minute ADAT show.

See, I beg to differ... There are a lot of settings that we have put in there for flexibility (including literally everything discussed here and more), but as with everything else we do, the default settings should work well.

Every single year I convert Doug McCullough's shows from ADAT to Pangolin. (Some of Doug's shows involve the use of a self-made analog abstract generator that he uses to perform the laser shows to music in real time.) All I do is press the "red" button (to record from his ADATs into Wave files), then press the next two buttons (I am home now, not in front of the screen, and forget what the next two are, but the last one is like "convert to LD format") and it works. So my own experience is -- three mouse clicks and it's done.

For years LC-ADAT was used for the ILDA Awards, where the ILDA Artistic Chairman converted the submissions to Pangolin for easy, singular-system playback during judging and presentation. Again -- three mouse clicks per piece and you're done...

So I'm not sure what could be so hard about it. It always worked perfectly for me and I know Jay Heck uses it, along with Mike Dunn, the folks at AVI and other avid ADAT users...

By the way, LC-ADAT is also built into the latest build of BEYOND but without the "record" function. That version only has the ability to select waveforms and then convert. And Steve's interpretation of how it works is entirely wrong. There are no "pedestals" or anything else...

Bill
    leading in trailing technology

Yes, LC-ADAT has a "record" function. That's the big red button at the top . But it requires that you have a light-pipe input on your PC, such as the WaveCenter PCI board from Frontier. Otherwise you can select WAVE files right from the ADAT itself, although you'll need the very latest version of LC-ADAT (or the one built into BEYOND) to do that properly, because the 24-bit WAVE files made by the HD-24 confused older versions of LC-ADAT.

ohhh that's tasty. I got a bunch of stuff on adat I can dump and use. Reallll old fm stuff that's still really nice.