Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: WANTED WAV to ILDA CONVERTER.

No, you don't.

1/65,536 is already WAY smaller than anything you could possibly see in either scanner position or color variation.

1/16,777,216 is absolutely pointless.

Last edited by james; 09-24-2019 at 05:36.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Actually you're both right & wrong. Image data - no point. Intensity - technically there is a point - the human eye can see a range of light intensity of 10 billion to one. Not that range of colors, but that range of intensity. I for one would love to see a laser driver that was linear and could accurately reproduce intensity to that resolution - but I'm sure I wouldn't buy it...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

You might be right about human vision sensitivity to light intensity. But we're talking about projected light of only a few different wavelengths, typically in an otherwise dark environment. Human eyes and brain will adjust to whatever the relative norm is in that situation. One can see the relative differences between the dim and the bright colors. It's not possible to detect absolute brightness because one cannot turn off the compensation of the eyes and brain. Vision in a more natural situation, like sunlight, where everything one sees is fully illuminated, is a very different situation.

Is here such a thing as projected gray light?
    Last edited by james; 09-25-2019 at 18:55.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Never mind bit depth- give me mega sample rate. The faster you can modulate color, the more detail you can present even with limited scanners.

My kingdom for a cheap multi-channel USB audio card that supports 192KHz...
    Last edited by dchammonds; 09-25-2019 at 20:18.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    No, you don't.
    Yes, you do. I never said that it's a perceptible difference between the two but if the hardware and software are readily available for 24-bit then why not take advantage of it?

Never mind bit depth- give me mega sample rate. The faster you can modulate color, the more detail you can present even with limited scanners.

My kingdom for a cheap multi-channel USB audio card that supports 192KHz.
    Got that covered as well:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 192K.jpg  

Just out of curiosity, have you ever made a square wave of 96KHz in a 192KHz sampled wave and played it into an oscilloscope? Does it really work?

Like I said, there is a good reason to record analog signals in 24 bit, so you have headroom and you can do math on it without losing any resolution. But to store it and stream it that way gives you no advantage at all.

If I want to do some math on a frame or frame set, I convert it to double float, do that math and convert it back to 16 bit signed int. If the math changes the overall size of the vector data and makes it go out of the bounds of 16 bit integer space, I can scale it to fit or clip it in 3D.
    Last edited by james; 09-26-2019 at 05:48.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Sampling a 12 BIT DAC with a 12 BIT ADC usually results in 10 to 10.5 bit effective sampling. You cannot assume the two parts would have perfect linearity, perfect monotonicity, and no missing codes, let alone perfectly matched voltage references and output processing opamps. The math for this is well known due to the CD player industry. The error will typically be worse at the LSB end of the data. The typical error distribution is stated on both the ADC and DAC data sheets. You would need a 14 to 16 bit ADC minimum, to run the process. Even then there will be a subtle quantization error. You'd get other errors if the clock periods are not the same, so you want to oversample to stay off sampling the step edges in the time domain. Again, the math is widely available, just the general public looks at the time domain, ie sampling rate, and rarely pays attention to the other kinds of distortion. THD is not the only audible (Visual in our case) error out there...

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-26-2019 at 07:36.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Any time you start with a digital signal, put it out through a DAC to make it analog and record that with an ADC to make it digital again, you will lose resolution and gain some distortion. Such is the nature of analog electronics.

It's just not possible to make a second generation recording that is better than the original, regardless of the technology you employ.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Any time you start with a digital signal, put it out through a DAC to make it analog and record that with an ADC to make it digital again, you will lose resolution and gain some distortion. Such is the nature of analog electronics.It's just not possible to make a second generation recording that is better than the original, regardless of the technology you employ.
    I start with a purely analog signal so it makes sense to capture at a higher resolution.

Ok after messing for a week and slot of help from reading dz support pages I settled on the following.

adat hardware is the best solution.

Next in line. Build a multichannel wave in soundforge, remove dc offsets on each channel, normalize to peak each channel.

I did buy n-track but it’s totally unstable and you have to do weird panning as it treats the channels in pairs. It’s. Pain. I tried foobar for playback and if you prepare the file well AND you map the channels right it works fine so that’s the jukebox playback.

next is months of processing hard drives. In the end however it will be a lot easier to lug around a laptop.

thank you DZ I really appreciate your help and support. I would not have figured this out on my own.

i have one last hurdle. How to apply color shifts. I did it on the adat but how to do in a wave editor?